Indy 500 Report: Danica is HOT

USNRET

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy this thread started out well, and kept on the subject (HOTNESS), however it quickly devolved into debate about driving ability. Very sad.

Hey , I did my part with the pics of Milka and Ashley . I could keep going but then the thread , well you know [:#]

From Wikipedia:

"Michèle Mouton (born 23 June 1951 in Grasse) is a former French rally driver. She is the most successful and well-known female rally driver of all time, as well as arguably the most successful female in motor racing as a whole.[1]

She was the first (and so far the only) woman to win a round of the World Rally Championship, the Rallye Sanremo in 1981. She went on to finish a close second overall in the 1982 WRC after wins in Portugal, Brazil and Acropolis, with only the unreliability of the Audi Quattro that she was driving ultimately enabling Opel rival Walter Röhrl to ****** the title."

Certainly a great driver, but I think that "arguably the most successful female in motor racing as a whole." is stretching it a bit. My vote would be for Shirley Muldowney, with her three NHRA Top Fuel championships.

I also like this quote of hers: "There is no room for bimboism in drag racing."

I really used to like this tune back in the day. Good editing and hard driving in this video, too:

Michelle Mouton on the sound of the Audi Quattro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdsuBIyCU5E&feature=related

People sometimes say racing drivers are crazy or suicidal, but in rallying, it's the fans lining the roads that fit that description.

• Moderators

really used to like this tune back in the day. Good editing and hard driving in this video, too:

\That was an incredible video to an incredible song!!!! I had forgotten how those crowds line up along those race routes, they are insane. Some of that footage was of her team-mate Walter Rohrl driving, but it shows what it takes to be competitive in that type of racing, street, dirt, snow, no safety barriers, no safer walls, sometimes sheer cliffs to the left and right with certain death if you go off, and they are flying.

What was amazing about that second video is the what happens if you go off the road to the right, and the fact that the sound of the car totally overpowers the sound of the helicopter.

Travis

it shows what it takes to be competitive in that type of racing

With all the blind turns and jumps, those drivers have to be fully committed to their lines and speeds, unlike with circuit racing where you can slow down or try to drive around a problem. There's no catching your breath on a long straight, you just GO from the start of the section to the end!

They're just sports figures, that's all.

I don't take anything they do too seriously. Same with Kobe Bryant, Bernie Ecclestone, Tony Stewart, Tanya Harding, Magic Johnson and a plethora of other overpaid egos.

They just don't matter in my life. Really.

• Moderators

I don't take anything they do too seriously. Same with Kobe Bryant, Bernie Ecclestone, Tony Stewart, Tanya Harding, Magic Johnson and a plethora of other overpaid egos.

Do you feel the same way about successful musicians? Just curious.

well of COURSE not, LOL, ya got me on that one (but it was too easy).

I'm not saying they don't have talent, but get them out of their area of specialty and, to me, it just doesn't matter much what these public figures say or do.

well of COURSE not, LOL, ya got me on that one (but it was too easy).

I'm not saying they don't have talent, but get them out of their area of specialty and, to me, it just doesn't matter much what these public figures say or do.

And the same with musicians.

Nice try Michael. [:D]

Tom

Not sure what you mean by the "real thing" though?

I just said that to tease you a bit if you are a NASCAR fan. NASCAR does provide very tight racing, as opposed to the parades that sometimes occur in F1, very high speed parades though they might be. However, F1 has the most advanced cars and possibly the best drivers, while the NASCAR machines are basically identical in terms of chassis and running gear (in the interest of safety, with the very high average speeds and frequent crashes), with only the engines and body styles varying between cars.

NASCAR uses street-based 5.9 litre V-8 engines, while F1 engines are 2.4 litre V-8s that produce about the same power, but spin up to around 18,000rpm and are built from scratch as racing engines. A number of the F1 features actually find their way to production cars, like engine management systems, but not much NASCAR tech makes it to the street.

Formula 1 sees far more innovations than probably any other type of car racing, has really big money in play, has world-class drivers and is popular all over the world, making it truly international, rather than a class that's very popular in one country.

Ladies & Gentlemen.........

The roaring laughter you hear is from all the engineers, aerodynamicists, chassis builders, engine develpers/builders, etc. in NASCAR.

Thank you very much.

Tom

I'm not really all that convinced that Danica is that whiney. After she overshot her pit, she was still in the blend line while going back on the track when she radio-ed in to the crew saying it was all her fault.

If it wasn't for that she had a very good chance of taking the whole thing!