OT: Can anyone here read Chinese...?

Marvel

That's really funny. I use the Google Language Tools all the time, but wasn't thinking they even had Chinese listed.

It worked exactly as I thought, which may be a great help.

Normally, when sending a letter to my gf in Nanchang, I just put her address in English, and it takes forever to get there. Since she lives at the school where she teaches, I thought I might also stick a line on the bottom of the envelope with the school address, and see if it will speed up the delivery.

Bruce

Mike,

Here's the address in English:

<gf name>

Jiangxi Modern Polytech College

338th Ziyang Road

Nanchang, Jiangxi 330012

and the text from the college's website:

??:????????????????338?
??:

I used the SimHei font. Translated on Google it comes out:

Address: Jiangxi Province, Nanchang University Park Chang Ziyang Road 338 Zip: 330012

Seems a little quirky to me.

Bruce

Bruce,

That's really interesting. Of course, I have no clue as to it's accuracy, but wonder if it could represent the difference in Chinese grammar / word order.

Is Chinese one of the languages where a person's name is pronounced with the surname first?

Even as it is, I bet it will clue in the Chinese post office employees as to it's destination much better than the English only address.

Bro. talk about a long distance relationship!

WOW, what a conversation I just had. I speak Texican and the wife is Korean.

The wife says her advice is to do just what you are thinking about. Put the English in the address field and then the Chinese below or to the side. The Chinese script does not indentify "Jiangxi Modern Polytech College" by the English name is about all I understood from my conversation...we got all hung up in intonation, slang, etc...etc..

The Chinese script does not indentify "Jiangxi Modern Polytech College" by the English name is about all I understood from my conversation..

That's about what I had figured out, too. Thanks Mike - and thank yoru wife, as well.

dtel- sounds good to me