Looking for a new receiver.....

nixonrsx

Hi, so....I am looking for a new receiver. Sooner or later I will be getting around to either getting the new Oppo BD player or the PS3 , so I dont really have to worry about the receiver decoding anything. I have RF-7's and an RC-7, with some older KSF 8.5's for surrounds until I can find something a little smaller for surrounds. I have an older Yamaha HTR-5760 now, but am looking for a lil "more". I am interested in the Marantz SR8001, as I can get it for a good price and have it be factory refurbed with warrenty. It will be used for about 75% movies and 25% music. Will that be a good match for the speakers and my situation? Is there anything esle you all would recommend. Im trying to stay away from seperates for now.

The Yamaha holds its own for movies, plays pretty much as loud as I can stand, and just barely gets warm. Music I think leave a little to be desirsed, not to big of a deal, cause I have a music setup in the back pool room. Budget for the receiver would be about $750. I guess I should just get the PS3 first and see how everything goes, and go from there. Seperate topic....I have one question about clipping, is has not happened to me but.....does the amp "have" to get hot first before clipping would start?

does the amp "have" to get hot first before clipping would start?

No. You will hear something going on with your speakers before clipping. It has never happened to me, so I can't tell you from experience. One good thing about Klipsch is they are very efficient in they don't "need' a lot of power to get them going.

I just asked about the Yamaha because each brand has a different sound. Since you are happy with the sound you should stick with the brand. Some have changed from one brand to another and didn't like to change, just something to think about.

If you are planning on getting the PS3 I would do that and see if it changes, but stick around here long enough and you will change everything out.

James

..........Sooner or later I will be getting around to either getting the new Oppo BD player or the PS3 , so I dont really have to worry about the receiver decoding anything. ......

Hi, I don't mean to hijack the thread but you've just said somethig interesting. I too was looking at the Marantz 7002/8001 refurb, but the thing that hold me back is that they lack the new sound fields (True HD, DTS HD, etc.). So you're saying that the Oppod BD or PS3 will decode the sounds and send the 7.1 signal to the receiver? Meaning the reciever doesn't have to be True HD/DTS HD certified like the new ones? If so, how is this done? Does the receiver has to have a specific input(s)?

Thanks

+1 for the marantz sr8001. I've had mine a couple of months, used, and absolutely love it.

What speaker series are you using with them???

Fronts: Klipsch R-3650-W (works, but will be looking to upgrade to floorstanders in the future)

Center: Klipsch RC-3 II

Surrounds: Klipsch KG 3.5

Sub: RW-12

when I upgrade my fronts I'll move the in-walls to my surround-backs, most likely. My living room is horribly for sound dynamics, and the tv I'm using is quickly degrading 42 vizio plasma (owned by my landlord). I'm not unhappy with my setup, but it's not where i want it to be in a year, either. :)

I would get a high end onkyo. with your budget you might be able to get one from accessores 4 less fairly cheaper.

I have had onkyo, pioneer elite, and emotiva. I have heard the sony line at the local shops. I like yamaha, but didnt like the fact that you cant have separate xovers for each speaker unless you spend alot on the higher end ones. Same with pioneer elite, cant have separate xovers for each speaker.

I can't think of hardly any avr that's good for 7's.You would be better off with the Marantz than most avrs.I'd rather have an older Rotel/Outlaw etc prepro/amp for sound quality than a new loaded avr.I have a 805,I'd never consider hooking it to my 7's,eeeeek.I did have an HK 635 hooked for a few weeks,not too bad,only because the HK sound/power is a cut above the rest,all imo.

do you think the emotiva xpa-5 would be a good combo for them? or maybe just an xpa-3 for the front 3 channels and let my receiver handle the surrounds.

and to the question earlier, yes as far as I know you only need one component to decode the new formats.

or maybe just an xpa-3 for the front 3 channels and let my receiver handle the surrounds.

I would do just that or look for something in the used market. You should be able to get something really good for the price of the Emotiva 3 channel and it be a 5-channel.

James

any recommendations for a soild 5-channel amp that puts out about 140-200 watts? and where would i go about looking for a used amp? audiogon seems to be a littleout of my budget most of the time and craigslist is a huge crapshoot unless its local.

audiogon seems to be a littleout of my budget most of the time and craigslist is a huge crapshoot unless its local

Those two places and even here in the "Garage" area. But the thing is, patients. How patient are you about getting this, as it might take awhile to find something on those sites. If your not then by all means purchase new, plus you will have the full warranty.

James

any recommendations for a soild 5-channel amp that puts out about 140-200 watts? and where would i go about looking for a used amp? audiogon seems to be a littleout of my budget most of the time and craigslist is a huge crapshoot unless its local.

Since you mentioned Marantz, take a look at this.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1247169202&/Marantz-MM9000-brand-new-price

Bill

do you think the emotiva xpa-5 would be a good combo for them? or maybe just an xpa-3 for the front 3 channels and let my receiver handle the surrounds.

The xpa 5 would be great,even the 3.The thing is though,no matter how great the amp,the prepro section is much of what you hear.I'd rather have a great prepro and decent amp than a great amp and decent prepro.It's all about the budget.

• Moderators

That is what I plan on eventually adding to my setup. I'm leaning towards the XPA-3