Back to work!

Well I never really did stop working, but for the first time in 20 years of being in the construction business, this last January we found ourselves without at least one house contract.

Today, I signed contracts for a home that we'll be building in Southwest Harbor Maine. It's 2 hours from where I live, but I couldn't turn the job down because of that. I've been working on this since early March.

Just thought I'd share a little good news in the midst of all this economic sludgery we've been experiencing. Things are looking up!

Greg

Greg,

Glad to hear you've got new work. That is a long haul, in terms of geography, but work is a good thing.

Wish I could see some of the homes you've built. With the craftsmanship I've seen you put into speakers, your houses must be built to a similar level of excellence.

If you ever have the bandwidth to post pics, I'd like to see them. So far my itinerary isn't getting me to Maine. Bummer.

***, you've got work.

Do you need a plumber?

I haven't bid a new house but once in the last year, I'm still waiting to hear if the project is going to be built.

I think I'd commute from ST. Louis at this time.Wink

My plumber has said the same thing, it's been all repair work and crawling under mobile homes type of stuff! He's glad I picked up this new one.

Greg

Greg,

Glad to hear you've got new work. That is a long haul, in terms of geography, but work is a good thing.

Wish I could see some of the homes you've built. With the craftsmanship I've seen you put into speakers, your houses must be built to a similar level of excellence.

If you ever have the bandwidth to post pics, I'd like to see them. So far my itinerary isn't getting me to Maine. Bummer.

Try this www.dcchomes.com/halpernpage.html This is a pretty nice home.

Most of my homes are built for very practical minded people. I've never built any million dollar homes, even after 20 years of building on the coast of Maine. Not one. I'm a little disappointed, but at the same time I know that my way of thinking would be off-base from someone building an eight million dollar home. I'd be thinking about air-tightening to the Nth degree, and they'd be thinking about marble ceilings. I have a good relationship with most of my customers and still remain friends with most of them to this day because we all were focused on the practicality of building the very best energy efficient home within a budget. On the same page.

So I guess what I'm saying is, you might think from my speaker restorations that my homes would be really snazzy looking, but just the opposite is true, they are usually fairly plain and simple. The snazzy is there, but it's in the parts you don't see when the house is complete, which is exactly where I want it to be 100 years from now.

Greg

Congratulations on getting some work, I hope some of your luck rubs off on some other guys here who need ot catch a break. Southwest Harbor, Me, isn't that over on Mount Desert Island? I guess you can always console yourself with some Lobster Rolls! Good luck with the project.

Great news, Greg! I just got word yesterday that our bid was accepted on a job at Echo Summit, overlooking Lake Tahoe. It's about 4 hrs (?) from home, so I guess we'll be staying there for the work week, then returning home for weekends. I'll be looking at the job (an exterior ADA ramp at a lodge) this Tuesday (I think).

BTW, that Halpern house looks great! I love the drawers at the top of the stairs, and the floors are beautiful! What material did you use? Oh, and the plumbing is neat, neat, neat!

Thanks fini. The floors are Australian Cyprus.

Greg

Cool! It looks a bit like utility-grade oak. I love the knots and sapwood. Was it prefinished? It looks like 3/4" solid (as opposed to engineered planks). Where did you get it?

Ok, that masonry is out of sight. Is that mostly bluestone on the walks and drives? Love the front post bases and the fireplace. The door trim details and hardware are stunning and I bet the floor of that shower feels really neat on bare footies. Very nice work Greg.

Michael

It was a very nice wood to work with. Pre-finished 3/4" solid from Lumber Liquidators. Reasonable price too as I remember.

The mason I hired was an artist. It took him about two weeks to do that fireplace - he had one helper.

I was surprised at the little stones on the shower floor, they actually do feel nice to walk on. www.dcchomes.com/Halpern.html

Greg

post-11090-13819475590454_thumb.jpg

Greg,

Try this www.dcchomes.com/halpernpage.html This is a pretty nice home.

Most of my homes are built for very practical minded people. I've never built any million dollar homes, even after 20 years of building on the coast of Maine. Not one. I'm a little disappointed, but at the same time I know that my way of thinking would be off-base from someone building an eight million dollar home. I'd be thinking about air-tightening to the Nth degree, and they'd be thinking about marble ceilings. I have a good relationship with most of my customers and still remain friends with most of them to this day because we all were focused on the practicality of building the very best energy efficient home within a budget. On the same page.

So I guess what I'm saying is, you might think from my speaker restorations that my homes would be really snazzy looking, but just the opposite is true, they are usually fairly plain and simple. The snazzy is there, but it's in the parts you don't see when the house is complete, which is exactly where I want it to be 100 years from now.

Greg

Greg,

The Halpern Home is gorgeous. I love the classic look. Trimwork takes me back to my grandmother's house. Very nicely done. I imagine the family living there must love the place. Yeh. No doubt that place will be there 100 years from now.

One thing I was wondering about, could you say more about the plumbing I was seeing on the wall?

Great news, Greg! I just got word yesterday that our bid was accepted on a job at Echo Summit, overlooking Lake Tahoe. It's about 4 hrs (?) from home, so I guess we'll be staying there for the work week, then returning home for weekends. I'll be looking at the job (an exterior ADA ramp at a lodge) this Tuesday (I think).

BTW, that Halpern house looks great! I love the drawers at the top of the stairs, and the floors are beautiful! What material did you use? Oh, and the plumbing is neat, neat, neat!

Congrats Gregg!