Crown and QSC amps

jbpjr

The pro amps take a preamp that has some kick to drive themt o full potential.

Pro audio runs at +4dB, home at -10dB, some amplifiers have an input sensitivity switch to compensate. If not the fix is simple & very cheap; turn up your preamp until the music's as loud as you want it to be.

PB

That said, if you can go with XLR output to XLR input do so. My preamp, which I will not change, only has RCA outs, so I run them into my power amp XLR inputs. works very well.

I do the same with RCA to XLR cables with very good results.

Of all the preamps I've tried with my Crown amps, my vintage Marantz model 3600 preamp is the winner. Scary power. [8o|]

IMO if you use amps that take balanced inputs then use a pre/processer that does too. ie used balanced interconnects straight through. Others will disagree, its the way I am personally gonna go and their are many pre/processers on the market that handle balanced.

I agree that this is the simplest way to do it. It's real nice plugging from Dx38 outputs to Crown inputs. I personally wish they would adopt a single standard for everything even if it might be overkill.

The pro amps take a preamp that has some kick to drive themt o full potential.

Pro audio runs at +4dB, home at -10dB, some amplifiers have an input sensitivity switch to compensate. If not the fix is simple & very cheap; turn up your preamp until the music's as loud as you want it to be.

PB

Its not that simple.

Yes, you can replace the stock fans on the QSC PLX series but that is only one solution.

Just unplug the stock fan like a few of us have done.............

At residential levels (even my high spl listening) - no problem.

Carl.

For 2 channel maybe, but stacking 4 of them for HT, I don't think I'd disable the fans. Even at idle you can feel a little heat coming out the front.

I appreciate the time you took with the pics and explanations, thanks.

Turnabout is fair play. You guided me through the resistor mod on my 7 series. I still want the DG full blown mod but it's still a little lean around here. Maybe after the summer you'll here from me.

Carl.

PB

Its not that simple.

Care to enlighten us why?

What's not simple is the confusion around balanced interfaces & XLR connectors. The 2 are not the same. Search previous threads here for plenty of information on the subject & the reason why balanced lines make very little sense in domestic audio applications.