Do You All Have Black Horns??

oldenough

Okay so this might seem to be a silly question...if so a silly answer will be fine. I recently bought a pair of La Scalas, I have now refinished them and had made mock-up grills just to see how they would look. Anyhoo I wasn't impressed and my wife suggested "well why don't you just do something with that big black hole" ( mid-range horn) "has it got to be black?". Yeah I know what you're thinkin', but in fact she is very supportive and this is not the slippery slope to a pair of white B@$# cubes. So.... is it Ok to paint the horns or is this considered sacriledge? Thinking about grey, probably the same shade as the K-55 driver attached to it, it 's a quite neutral unassuming color, but any suggestions would be taken into consideration. [:D]

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

I think they would look good painted, be sure to unscrew the driver first. I would like to see what they looked like painted, I have seen pictures of other horns (round) painted in some nice colors. Go for it if that's all it takes to make her happy I would be picking out colors, it's just paint you could always repaint if you don't like them.

I think they would look good painted, be sure to unscrew the driver first. I would like to see what they looked like painted, I have seen pictures of other horns (round) painted in some nice colors. Go for it if that's all it takes to make her happy I would be picking out colors, it's just paint you could always repaint if you don't like them.

Yeah thats what I was thinking, no big deal, just repaint.

You could always add some grille cloth. I got some from the nearby car stereo shop and stretched and stapled it to the inside of the cabinet when I had the horns off to apply Dynamat Xtreme to them. The horn mounting screws go easily right through the cloth. I wasn't crazy about the rough-cast look of the inside of the K400 horns myself.

post-23736-13819476849564_thumb.jpg

I saw some guy had the big JBL horns painted a festive yellow.

Michael, I wish I was brave enough to go for something like that. I guess with a stand-alone horn (thinkin' Jubs) it would work in the right surroundings. But now thinkin about it I do have a nice shade of yellow that was left over from a job, maybe I should do it before she gets home from work just to see her reaction......"But dearest YOU said for me to paint them".

You could always add some grille cloth. I got some from the nearby car stereo shop and stretched and stapled it to the inside of the cabinet when I had the horns off to apply Dynamat Xtreme to them. The horn mounting screws go easily right through the cloth. I wasn't crazy about the rough-cast look of the inside of the K400 horns myself.

Hi Pat, thats a thought, I'll keep that in mind, but probably not black. How's life on the Island, enjoying this nice weather??

Thinking about grey, probably the same shade as the K-55 driver attached to it, it 's a quite neutral unassuming color, but any suggestions would be taken into consideration

Oh, no. Grey is worse than black. Stay away from colors that make things look like they are war surplus.

There are faux granite finishes that look good. Also faux wood grain, but they really need a smooth surface. Otherwise, a solid earth-tone color that goes well with the wood finish of the cabinet.

Greg

Thinking about grey, probably the same shade as the K-55 driver attached to it, it 's a quite neutral unassuming color, but any suggestions would be taken into consideration

Oh, no. Grey is worse than black. Stay away from colors that make things look like they are war surplus.

There are faux granite finishes that look good. Also faux wood grain, but they really need a smooth surface. Otherwise, a solid earth-tone color that goes well with the wood finish of the cabinet.

Greg

The "war surplus" thing did come to mind......However your about twenty minutes too late, Ive just completed one....actually it looks pretty good. I also have another color in mind and will do the second one that way and see which we prefer. Pic's to come later.

Hi Pat, thats a thought, I'll keep that in mind, but probably not black. How's life on the Island, enjoying this nice weather??

The weather's been great, just one rainy day in the last month or so, while my friends in Toronto are putting up with thunderstorms, but at least it's not cold there anymore. I'm glad to be here. JazzFest International starts next week and I hope to catch a few performances.

How are things on your side of the Salish Sea?

The weather's been great, just one rainy day in the last month or so, while my friends in Toronto are putting up with thunderstorms, but at least it's not cold there anymore. I'm glad to be here. JazzFest International starts next week and I hope to catch a few performances.

How are things on your side of the Salish Sea?
Oh I'd like to be there for the JazzFest...Enjoy...Yes us Mainlanders are soaking up the sun as well...I'm glad to be here.

I recall there was once one guy who was going to have a pair cast in brass and polished, much like a trombone.

I think it was suggested to him that he might not want to do that because the trombone is SUPPOSED to resonate (really?) as a creator of sound and you do not want the speaker horn to resonate since it's a replication of the sound.

either way, I don't recall ever hearing anything more from/about him and his experiment. I think he had a friend who had access to cast brass (or was it bronze?)

Let the wife pick the color...do you REALLY care what they look like as long as she's letting them in there?

I would let my wife paint pink pansies on mine if she wanted.... of course, I've not told her that and don't expect I will.

I painted mine a copper color and rwas really happy how they came oou. I used a sharp artist brush though instead of loosening the horns.

That sounds like a good choice of color. Do you have any pictures?

Thanks,

Dennie