Good CHEAP 2ch receiver - Please help!

wsu99999

Hey Forum!

I'm in need of a bit of help. I recently sold my rear surround speakers and realized they didn't do much for me anyway. I was running a 5 ch setup with LaScala's up front with a Heresy center and Forte IIs in the rear. With the Forte's gone, I really don't miss them (I think my room may be a bit too small for the setup).

Anyway, seeing as I don't really need to buy new ones, I figured I may downsize further and just keep the LaScalas, sell my Marantz 7001, and get a decent, CHEAP, 2ch receiver.

Seeing as I will only be running 2ch, I will have no need for HDMI or any Optical/digital inputs, so I figured I could go vintage. What's a good 2ch receiver that mates well with LaScalas and could support RCA's for a LD, VCR, DVD, CD, and PC? I'd ideally like 6 or 7 inputs so I don't have to crawl around back there all the time :) But I know vintage electronics don't really support that.

Are there any good old marantz that I could find for around 100 bucks? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

I am quite confident many others here will express my same thought-- Its hard to beat the Harmon Kardon 30 series receivers especially the 930 . They work with Klipcsh like peanut butter & jelley.[:D] Can be had in or near your price point.

Cornman's two cents,

...or Nakamichi STASIS (TA AND SR receivers)...or silver faced Yamaha Natural Sound amps and receivers (CR with a 10, 20 or 40 at the end...like CR-1020...CA-610 II...)...good luck...hopefully someone with some Marantz knowledge should chime in soon...

Bill

Tony Reed told me about the Harman Kardon 505 twin powered integrated amplifer. the usual ultra wide bandwidth HK 60wpc marketed beginning in 1978. It's the same amp as in the x30 receiver series. It is a SLEEPER IMO. Here's a link to one looking to be near mint that just sold on Ebay for $51. Yeh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-HARMAN-KARDON-HK-505-TWIN-POWERED-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ380133145044QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item5881b379d4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A13|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

* Twin Power Ultrawideband DC True Power Design
* High Current Twin Core Power Supply (same kind as used in vintage higher end Marantz - 2285B, etc)
* 40000 mF of filter capacitance
* Heavy duty metal case TO-3 discreet output transistors
* Stable into 4 Ohms
* 5 - 150,000 Hertz
* 0.03 THD / IMD at full power, typically much less
* Preamp / Power amp jacks
* 30 lbs

* Aux1, Aux2, Tape1, Tape2, Tuner, Phono
* Speaker 1, speaker 2; switchable
* Tone defeat
* Tone controls with tone turnover
* Subsonic filter, high cut filter, mono switch
* Capacitance phono switch
* Balance, volume
* Tape copy 1&2, tape monitor 1&2
* Loudness switch

* Designed in USA, Made in Japan
* Very well built
* 120 V, North America version

Owner's manual:
http://manuals.harman.com/HK/HOM/Owner%27s%20Manual/HK505om.pdf

Features:
* 45 WPC RMS into 8 Ohms, 10 - 50000 Hz
* 65 WPC measured at 1 kHz
* 90 Watts per channel, Dynamic Power
* Rated at 270 Watts
* 0.05 % THD
* Discrete circuit design, including discreet output transistors
* AM & FM with 20 station presets, Auto and Manual search
* Video, CD, Tuner, Phono, Tape1, Tape2
* X-high quality MM/MC phono section
* 24/32 dB switchable MM Phono
* Tape/VCR Monitor: Copy 1-2, Copy 2-1, Tape monitor 1&2
* Tone defeat, Loudness
* Bass, Treble, Volume and Balance controls
* Speaker A,B outputs, on/off
* Headphones jack
* Made in Japan

Should be nice...the SRs seem to go for a bit more than the TAs...the TAs are newer...some built in Taiwan whereas the SRs should be Japan...I couldn't find a bit of difference but the TA-2A and up all have remotes...the SR-4 is the only (as I recall) one with remote from that series...The SR-3A you list is middle of the pack and should be fine...similar in power to the later TA-2A (I believe the A means North America)

Good Luck,

Bill

Try find a NAD7155.....from my own personal experience I don't think you will be disappointed. This is one receiver that will stay with me, it luvs Klipsch. I say this after stacking it up against ALL the X30 series H/K's, numerous Marantz and many other assorted power sources, but by no means all of the recommended units so far here. I am still searching for a good amp for my La Scalas (with a limited budget) but still this NAD is the stand-out amongst 20 or so amps/receivers. I wil probably go for Tubes now. good luck with your search.