Klipsch vs Paradigm

Miron88

Textf>Texts>Textc>

Hi, I'm new to Home theatres, so let me apologize in advance for sounded ignorant, but I was reviewing speaker/receiver set-ups and I think I've narrowed down the reciever to the Denon 3802, which is rated 110 Watts x 7.

My first question, as far as surrounds go, could I use speakers rated a maximum continuous wattage of 100 Watts? or would they get damaged with the extra 10 watts?

2nd question, I'm on a quest for speakers, I've been looking at Paradigm, which are reasonably priced and sound pretty sound.

But Alot of people recommend the Klipsch speakers, but the reference line seems to be alot more expensive than the Paradigm, does Klipsch have speakers that could handle the denon 3802 (110 watts) that cost less than their reference line, also is the Klipsch Refernce line a much better quality than the Paradigm reference line. I can't find one store that has both for me to compare the two.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Miron....Yes, you could use speakers that are only rated on 100 watts continuous. Really the last thing you need to worry about is the watts. You have to remember 99% of the time you'll be running under ten watts especially if you go with the Klipsch. Secondly, Denon is highly regarded on this site. Others will be able to give you some great info on their receivers. Third, Yes Paradigm makes good speakers and you'll just have to listen to both brands to make a decision. I think if you look around you should have no problem finding RF-3's or the new II's in the price range of the Paradigms. I don't own RF-3's but I have heard them and for the money there a steal. Good Luck..

This message has been edited by rowooo on 02-26-2002 at 10:41 AM

Miron - Power ratings are an interesting area. But without touching the subject of how many watts an amp really puts out when all channels are driven over the audible frequency range, let it suffice to say that it would be a very very very rare moment when your speakers would actually be getting anywhere near 100 watts from the receiver. With efficient speakers (like the Klipsch ones), most listening will be done at just a few watts continuous. Remember, the sensitivity rating is xx db per watt measured one meter from the speaker. Most Klipsch's are in the 90-100 db per watt range, which is intolerably loud for most people, and that is just with one watt (granted, of course, that is measured at just one frequency and only 1 meter from the speaker, but I hope you get my drift).

Anyway, don't be concerned about the power rating on a good quality speaker. If you feed it good quality amplification, it will seldom be a concern.

That said, if the Klipsch Reference line is a bit too pricey, check out the Synergy line. They will easily handle the 3802 wattage (as will ALL Klipsch speakers, actually), and offer a lower price point.

See if your local dealers will permit you to eardition the various brands you are considering in your home and return them if you don't care for them. That will give you a much better assessment, in your surroundings, with your equipment, than any dealer demo room.

Also, IMHO, while the Paradigm are certainly nice speakers, once you hear the Klipsch sound you may find that the Paradigms lack "life."

Have fun!

Doug

------------------

My System

I had massive cornwalls, on a 40 watt per channel amp, and rocked the house the same as a 100 watt amp! Efficiency is the key here on this board not power!

Ive had high power mcintosh, pioneer SX950 reciever, Sony 110 watt surround, untill it went down, and in the end im happy with my 65 watt per channel outlaw 1050!

50 watts will rock the house on Klipsch!

I caint own anything else, simply because i caint hear anything else!

Good luck on the road to H/T!

Regards Jim

This message has been edited by Jim Cornell on 02-26-2002 at 11:06 AM

Miron,

Paradigm does make good speakers, and they do sound significantly different from Klipsch speakers (most do for that matter). The Paradigm Reference have a nice sound, but IMO lack "life" as stated before when compared to Klipsch. My local dealer carries both and I've listened to them side-by-side. For me, the Klipsch win hands down. A friend of mine, on the other hand, found the Paradigm Reference to sound better and has gone that route. It's all a personal decision. You couldn't go wrong with either. I also don't see much of a difference in price between the two unless you are looking at the Performance Series from Paradigm. If that is the case, you should compare that to the Klipsch Synergy speakers which are in the same price range. Again, you are also looking at similar build quality.

------------------

My System So Far:

Fronts: KLF 10 (Med. Oak)

Center: KLF C7 (Med. Oak)

Surrounds: Def. Tech BP6

Sub: SW-12II (Black Ash)

Receiver: H/K AVR 25II

DVD: Panasonic DVDR31S

CD: Yamaha CDC 655

My dad recently completed his home theater w/ Paradigm speakers. I tried to convince him to go Klipsch, but he couldn't justify the extra expense. Needless to say, his setup sounds fantastic. Go with what you like better and what fits in your budget.

------------------

My hodge-podge of equipment

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

Miron,

Distortion and transiate signals are more likely to damage speakers than watts of good power. The AVR 3802 has good reviews although I've not listened to this receiver. I'm moving away from the receiver gig and into seperate amp and pre/pro but for now have a Yamaha. What I'm looking for is cleaner power, getting all the processing components away from the amplifier. I purchased the Klipsch Reference series a few months ago, RF-3II's, RC-3II, RS-3II's and a KSW12 sub for $1,600.00 delivered. As mentioned by many above, Klipsch speakers are very efficient so clean amplification is the key. This is why I've ordered an amplifier and pre/pro from Outlaw. If you are just getting into the HT business, theres no turning back, I would get as much speaker as money would alow. It's easier to upgrade your power sources and the technology changes every day. My point is, you are about to spend a minimum of $750.00 for the AVR 3802 and could look at something less expensive and move the difference to your speaker fund. Check out the Outlaw 1050 $450.00. It's a six channel reciever rated at 65 watts which is similar to my Yamaha. With the efficient Klipsch speakers there is plenty of sound. this way when you decide to upgrade your power with an amplifier and pre/pro, you won't take as big a hit on you purchase. And believe me you'll be upgrading for the rest of your life. Theres no turning back....

------------------

A/VR- Yamaha 870

RF-3II

RC-3II

RS-3II

KSW12

DVD Panasonic RP-56

Pioneer 5 Disc CD

Echostar Sat

Hitachi Ultravision 50"

Paradigm VS Klipsch

If you compare Paradigm Reference to Klipsch Reference the Klipsch need way fewer watts to reach LOUD levels.

Klipsch is a also a better value,you get alot of quality for less and Klipsch is so easy to drive you can use a whimpy reciever and still get good results(unless its really whimpy).

Paradigm needs a powerful amp to start blasting away and it still cant reach the same levels.

Paradigm R are a bit more refined,Klipsch R are IN YOUR FACE and project sound like beams.The Paradigm has a much better off axis response.With Klipsch you have to sit in the sweet spot to enjoy them and really hear what Klipsch is all about.

Built quality,the Paradigm Reference cabinets are more solid,better braced.The Klipsch finish looks nicer up close.Both the RF-7's and Stidio 100 use quality drivers but not close to Dynaudio drivers.

In the end I have Klipsch and Dynaudio,when Paradigm faced Dynaudio they got schooled in a grand way.

I take Klipsch Reference any day over Paradigm's best.

Unless we are comparing subs,then I take Paradigm Servo-15 over the RSW15.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 02-26-2002 at 07:56 PM

Thanks for all the help.

I will go and check out some Klipsch setups tonight.

To save money I think I will go with the Denon 1802 instead of the 3802 (Do I really need those extra 2 channels?)

Then I figure my budget I can probably go with this Klipsch setup:

Front RF-3II or RB-5II

Center RC-3II

Surrounds RS-3II

and the Sub KSW-10 or KSW-12

Do you think this will work out good for a beginning Home Theatre?

Also, do you know some places online that offer speaker setups at good prices.

Thanks again for all the help.

This message has been edited by Miron88 on 02-27-2002 at 09:29 AM

Textf>

Miron88:

I don't believe you'll be sorry going the efficient Klipsch route. Having said that, Paradigm is certainly no slouch.

You need to seriously consider dumping the Klipsch Sub for the Paradigm PW2200. Very musical yet also great for HT. Get's way down to 18hz and is unbelieveably priced.

Read some reviews and more importantly try one out in your listening environment. I use one with my Heritage setup and am VERY happy.

Good luck.

Regards,

Stu

------------------

'81 Cornwall 1 mains B2 Crossover

'73 Heresy Centre

'78 Heresy Surrounds

Paradigm PW220 Sub Subwoofer (18 hz)

Marantz SR8000 AV Receiver

Hitachi 53" RPTV 53SBX59B

If you have the money, go with 6.1 instead of 5.1. Denon 2802.

------------------

My hodge-podge of equipment

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

Miron.

I have the Denon 3802 and it is matched with the Synergy speakers (SF1, SC1, SS1, KSW12 and old Koss speakers for the second set of surrounds).

The whole thing sound great and I would not hesitate to recommand it to anyone.

The Koss are rated at 40W. Since I use them for surrounds I haven't have any problems yet even when I pump up the volume. So you shouldn't worry about 10watts.

Luke.

Miron, When deciding on speakers,you need to ask yourself how you are going to use them. Movies vs. HT.

That's the 1st thing I ask friends when they are searching for speakers. Paradigm really kicks butt for HT.But when it comes to pure musical enjoyment,they suck! Klipsch handles both very well.

I just recently helped set-up an expensive HT system for a guy's new house. It has Paradigm. It was awesome! Actually had the ceiling tiles moving. But the highs were a little flat. I've been listening to Klipsch horns for about 5 yrs now and IMO think they are the best!

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

------------

Mains: KG 5.5

Rears: KG 3.5

Center: KLF-C7

Subs: (2) Antique wooden coffins with (3) 12" Advents in each

Receiver: HK AVR-80

DD Processor: HK ADP-303

DTS Processor: Rotel RDA 985

AudioControl Phase Coupled Activator Series Three