Vintage Receivers - Choices galore - Narrowed to two - Help me finish the decision!!

wsu99999

Thanks to the members of the forum, I've narrowed my search for a vintage receiver to two models (chosen due to close proximity to me and price). Members of the forum recommended that I go with an old Nakamichi receiver (Stasis model), HK 30 series, or an old Yamaha series. I've found two of the prior in my neck of the woods and wanted help finishing this off so I can go home with one of them today. Here is what I've found - please chime in with pros and cons and anything I should be looking out for.....

Nakamichi SR-3a Stasis receiver - 100 bucks - I was told it is mint and the guy that has it is a huge audiophile with more high end speakers than anyone I've seen - he even has the Focal Utopia speakers which are about 100k. Either way, I'm interested in going to this guys house and hearing his stuff!

I also found a Yamaha Natural Sound CR-620 - 40 bucks - If the Yamaha is going to produce the same sound quality as the Nakamichi, I would rather save the 60 bucks and go that route, but if the Nakamichi is hands down better, then I would rather spring for the extra cash. As with everyone, money is tight right now and I would like to keep the amount spent to a minimum.

The receiver will be powering 2 LaScalas (AA Crossovers). I mainly listen at moderate levels, but I do like to crank it up sometimes, so either receiver I would like to be able to do both, but for sound quality, it's more important to me that it sounds good at mid to high levels than at ear-bleeding levels.

I just sold my Marantz 7001 because I'm downgrading from a 5.1 Heritage home theater to a 2.1 setup. Right now, I'm running my LaScalas off of a Sherwood AD266R and I'm not happy with the sound quality. If neither of these receivers are better than the Sherwood, let me know that too - I may just have to wait. Thanks for your help - the sooner the better as I have to make a decision on the Nakamichi today.
Regards,
Arron

I have no experience with the Nakamichi or Yamaha amps but I can highly recommend HK 30 series recievers. I bought a HK 630 for 60 bucks about a year ago and the sound quality it produces rivals my Fisher x-100 tube amp which replaced a Mac 2505/C-26 combo in my system.

+1 for Nakamichi. The Nak is the most neutral of all those mentioned so far. Having owned both an HK 630 & 930 receivers and a Nak, my take is the Nak is less colored and more truthful while still smooth. The HKs have more bass but sound a bit veiled by comparison. I'd add NAD to the mix as well, with a sound in between the HK and Nak.

I am not familiar with either receiver but own a pair of Nak tape decks and they are real workhorses. The one thing I like about buying from an'audiophile" is that you know the piece will be well taken care of and should be in mint condition. Let us know what you end up deciding WSU.

I decided on the Nakamichi.

Hooked it up and wow - it sounds better than any other receiver I've ever hooked up to my LaScalas. Truly beautiful.....

BUT - after hearing the guys' system I purchased the nak off of, I now can't help but hear all of the flaws with the LaScalas... I wish I wouldn't have had him demo his system!!

First off, this guy had the biggest tube amps I've ever seen. He said he had either 450-600 watts going to each speaker, all tube power! He had the Utopias, and we auditioned them, and they sounded amazing. However, the speakers I was truly impressed with started with an A, were quite large, and almost looked like flat, large rectangles, almost a wall of speakers. Anyone know what these are? I was very impressed, they looked vintage, and I'm sure could be picked up for a relatively small price.

This guy had amazing peices of gear laying ALL OVER his house. He had 4 stereo rooms, a home theater, and his garage, all with full systems in them and all with random peices of gear laying around. I was very impressed. I don't know what the guy does for a living, but he seriously had at least 500k in gear - no bs!

Congrats on the purchase. I too love Focal speakers. The Big boys are truly awesome speakers. Myself budget wise, I like the Focal Chorus 726V series.............JMHO. Enjoy !

The speakers with an A Where you maybe talking about Avalon ?

No - I asked him. To my suprise, they can be had for about 600 bucks. He had Acoustat model 4's with the medallion transformer upgrade. They sounded beautiful. I think it had a lot to do with the amplification (these were literally the largest tube amps I've ever seen in my life. Each tube was larger than an pear and it had to weigh about 165lbs each.