LASCALA CENTER - MAGNETIC DAMAGE?

maxsdad

I have finally talked my wife into letting me reconfigure the den to allow for using one of my back channel LSI's as a center. The proposed plan was to sell the remaining LSI & put the proceeds toward a plasma or lcd flat screen, which would be placed above the center, giving me 3 LSI's across the front and Heresy rears. My question is this: in the interim between the reconfiguration and getting the new tv, our existing conventional tv would need to live on top of the center spkr, and all those magnets will surely raise issues w/ the tv, as they are obviously not shielded. Is there a way to circumvent this? I thought maybe a couple sheets of 3/4" foil-faced R-max insulation might block the magnets, but I am not well versed in these matters. Any wisdom will be appreciated.

The tweeter and midrange magnets are small enough that I don't think they will affect the TV at all. The woofer magnet housed in the lower cabinet should not affect it at all. I use a La Scala as my center channel and TV stand and have no issues.

• Moderators

I think thats good advice, I once had a speaker to close and you will know right away it makes the side of the tv closest to the speaker have distorted colors and kind of in bands of distortion, it's not like it would cause instant damage. Try it you will know right away.

I've got a Heresy III lying on its side under my CRT TV and I had to place it carefully to minimize some reddish colour appearing at the very bottom of the screen. I moved it back and forth half an inch at a time until the colour practically disappeared (less than half-an-inch in height, mostly on the side nearest the woofer and only visible with blank or near-blank screen in medium tones). I doubt the little magnets in the woofer and squawker would have any effect.

As for that second LSI, why not use it as a rear surround, so you have a 6.1 system? I bought a pair of Heresies to get a centre and just put the second one in the bedroom for a year. Then I decided to hook it up as a centre rear in the living room, since it was serving no purpose in the bedroom. 6.1 was a definite improvement over 5.1, so I'm glad I did it.

Klipsch sells "bucking magnets" for your drivers, but there probably not needed. try placing a piece of metal about the thickness of a "cookie sheet" baking pan between the television and the speaker. That will most likely absorb any magnetic field trying to transfer into the CRT.

This advise came directly from www.lessemf.com back when I was researching the same issue.

Many thanks to all who responded to my question - I set the tv on top and it was fine. Originally I wanted to use all four Lascala's for 5.1, but putiing #3 in line with the fronts on Dolby 3 channel stereo - WOW!!! I may not even put back channels on! I think I'd be better off to sell LSI#4 and use the money for a flat panel tv. Thanks again.

Wow, that's good news.

When upgradeitus strikes again, you should consider Heresy rears as they are much smaller than the lascalas and could even be wall mounted if it made sense. I think it might work better than Lascala rears because the placement is a bigger deal than the quality of the speaker for the rears (within limits of course and assuming the lascalas couldn't be placed in an ideal spot).