I need a "low budget" 2 channel amp

jhoak

In the next week or so I'm moving from my Yamaha receiver (RX-V2600) to a separates system consisting of an Outlaw Audio 990 and a Marantz MM9000 amplifier. I think the main listening area will be just about where I want it to be. These guys will be driving a pair of La Scala mains, a pair of Heresy surrounds and an Academy center.

That leaves the the rest of the house. I have five other pairs of speakers around the house all hooked to a Niles 6-pair switch (volume controls on each pair) with no way to drive them. The Outlaw has a "Zone-2" output but it needs an amp to make anything happen. The "whole house" speakers are background level quality and volume levels. Of them the best are a pair of JBL in-wall speakers in the kitchen. The rest are either low-dollar in-walls or small bookshelves. The switch does impedance matching so I don't have to be too worried about a picky amp.

Any recommendations for an amp to drive these without pouring a load of $$$ in to them. I'd like to stay right around $100. A bit more is possible. A bit less is even better.

Oh yea... Keeping the Yamaha for surround duty is not an option. It's being donated to my "financially challenged" but hopelessly home theater addicted son. Yea I know... I'm a good Dad. Hey it's the least I can do... I'm the one who got him hooked :)

$100... maybe something vintage like a Harman Kardon HK 430 or 730, and NAD 3020 (no tuner though), or Nakamichi TA-1, TA-2. For even less you could pick up an Onkyo TX-2500 which is a brute of a receiver, good looking and very under valued in the vintage market... usually $50 or so. I'd say just about any vintage Pioneer, Sansui, Onkyo, etc. receiver would be a good match. Check your local craigslist for nearby deals and avoid shipping charges.

Congratulations on the Outlaw/Marantz combo, from what I hear, they should sound fantastic together!

Thanks! I've got my fingers and toes crossed hoping that it will all come together as well as I hope. A few years ago I had an Outlaw 950 paired with a Marantz amp (same model) driving a 5.1 JBL Studio Series system and there was just something "right" about it.

I've been watching agon - vgon - CL - and ebay waiting for the planets to line up just right and all of the right bits and pieces to fall in to place. I guess it was this weeks eclipse that did it. In the end I got both pieces for $850 total delivered to my door. I really doubt that I could find a receiver that will supply the same sound and feature set for anywhere near that price.

I'd thought about one of the "T-Amps" but I just can't seem to wrap my brain around digital amplification. I mean I've worked so hard and spent so much $$ trying to get back to an "analog" sound. I'm not sure that one of those would do it for me. On the other hand it's "background" music for pete's sake. We're not talking critical listening here... :)

As I typed this I had one of those "DUH" moments. Either up in the attic or maybe in the shed I have an old Yamaha 2-channel receiver. IF I can find it and IF it still works it may just be my answer. And at the best budget point of all... FREE. Worst case a few squirts of De-Oxit and I'm in business.

Gotta go... Time to start digging through the years of accumulated crap in the attic and shed...

Hey Jeff take a look at this. I have read that these are really nice budget amps.

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?amps20ch&1251825564

If that one doesn't float your boat, maybe you would be interested in my Luxman receiver or Onkyo integrated amp,tuner,tape setup I have for sale at bottom of my signature. PM or email me.

Bill

Congratulations on the Outlaw/Marantz combo, from what I hear, they should sound fantastic together!

Thanks! I've got my fingers and toes crossed hoping that it will all come together as well as I hope. A few years ago I had an Outlaw 950 paired with a Marantz amp (same model) driving a 5.1 JBL Studio Series system and there was just something "right" about it.

I've been watching agon - vgon - CL - and ebay waiting for the planets to line up just right and all of the right bits and pieces to fall in to place. I guess it was this weeks eclipse that did it. In the end I got both pieces for $850 total delivered to my door. I really doubt that I could find a receiver that will supply the same sound and feature set for anywhere near that price.

I'd thought about one of the "T-Amps" but I just can't seem to wrap my brain around digital amplification. I mean I've worked so hard and spent so much $$ trying to get back to an "analog" sound. I'm not sure that one of those would do it for me. On the other hand it's "background" music for pete's sake. We're not talking critical listening here... :)

As I typed this I had one of those "DUH" moments. Either up in the attic or maybe in the shed I have an old Yamaha 2-channel receiver. IF I can find it and IF it still works it may just be my answer. And at the best budget point of all... FREE. Worst case a few squirts of De-Oxit and I'm in business.

Gotta go... Time to start digging through the years of accumulated crap in the attic and shed...

That is a great price for the combo! That MM9000 is plenty of amp for your set up and should sound great.

Outlaw Audio has the 970 preamp on sale/clearance for $299 and for it's age, it is still a great processor. The 990 has a phono input, which is even better! [Y]

Good luck on the hunt for your old gear, Free is always the best price and let us know how it sounds when it is all hooked up!

Dennie

New with warranty good bang for the buck.

UPA-2 TWO CHANNEL AUDIO POWER AMPLIFIER

125 watts RMS x 2 into 8 ohms, 185 watts RMS x 2 into 4 ohms.

$299 SHIPS FOR $25 (within continental US)

BUY

The UPA-2...it's all about possibilities. A dynamic, high current Class A/B amplifier with a surprisingly modest price. Its advanced feature set makes it versatile enough for multiple applications.

1. A STAND-ALONE, AUDIOPHILE GRADE TWO CHANNEL AMPLIFIER

The UPA-2 is no toy. Inside the compact 2RU chassis are two of the same amp modules used in our UPA-7. They are horizontally mounted and driven by a high-current toroid transformer power supply. Built with the same high-quality/low noise standards as all Emotiva amplifiers, the UPA-2 is a reference level two channel power amplifier.

2. SYSTEM EXPANSION

Boost your AVR: Receiver amplifiers face the limitations of the small space (and budgets) they are designed to work with, generally lacking the deep power reserves necessary for high quality sound. Add a UPA-2 to your existing setup, using it to drive your main left and right speakers. You'll instantly notice and appreciate greater dynamics, detail and headroom...and earn your receiver's thanks!

Ideal building blocks for a growing Home Theater/Surround system: Upgrading from a 5.1 to a 7.1? It's never been simpler or more affordable. The UPA-2 is a perfect companion piece to an XPA-5 or XPA-3.

3. ZONE 2 AMPLIFICATION

Single or multiple UPA-2's are perfect for powering speakers throughout your household. Poolside. Kitchen. Dining room. Anywhere. The UPA-2's affordabe price, flexible design, and preamp in/out loop (for daisy chaining) along with individual level controls put you in control.

Power output:

8 Ohms = 125 watts RMS per channel (2)

4 Ohms = 185 watts RMS per channel (2)

Frequency Response: +/- 0.1 db: 20 to 20Khz

Broadband Frequency Response: -3db 10hz - 150khz

Signal to Noise Ratio: (Un-weighted): >100db

Distortion (THD, 80Khz bandwidth): 0.007

Discrete, dual differential class AB amplifier topology with active current sources

Low noise toroidal power transformer

On Semiconductor output devices

Damping Factor: Approximately 200 into 8 ohms

Gain: Channels : 0-32db (adjustable)

Input Impedance: 47K ohm

External Trigger: 3-12 Volts DC (tip positive)

DC Offset: <1mV servo corrected

Crosstalk: >80db

Fully protected from all fault conditions

External trigger input/output (5-12 Volts DC - tip positive)

Output/Level control

Preamp in/out loop for daisy chaining

Soft touch power switch

2RU chassis w/ solid milled aluminum faceplate

IEC power inlet, 120/230 VAC configurable

17 W x 3 7/8 H (3.46" without feet ) x 18" D (including rear terminals/binding posts -16.7" from front to back plate)

Weight: 30 lbs /13.6 kg. Shipping weight (with packaging): 39lbs /17.7kg

UPA-2 MANUAL

(PDF)

Endless possibilities. The UPA-2.

click any image for a larger view

post-37861-13819488265526_thumb.png

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I found this dirty little MCS 3840 integrated amp at Value Village for 30 bucks. Tore it down and cleaned everything. (yuck) And while it looks like the common cheap early '80s SS, it doesn't sound half bad on my Cornwalls, nice and punchy. The phono stage doesn't sound half bad either.

It's heavier than it looks, and has gobs of power.

post-6643-13819638868488_thumb.jpg