The wife has spoken

jdotsu

Well I have enjoyed my KG-4's alot in my home theater but the old lady want's to put up bookshelves in there current location so to the bedroom they must go. I am trying to decide on replacement speakers (bookshelf type) to replace them. The only requirements are that they must not weigh more than 30lbs each and I will have to mount them on the wall. I was wondering how a set of RB-81's might sound in my current setup. Just looking for some good recommendations from you guys thanks.

• Moderators

At least she's letting you move them to the bedroom instead of wanting you to get rid of them entirely.

I have the RB-35's which are similar in design to the RB-81's. They sound great for a bookshelf speaker. I had them setup in a 2ch for awhile when the theater room was under construction and they sounded great. Descent bass without a sub but definitely would benefit from having a dedicated sub with them.

A wife the wants smaller speakes, man you are in trouble. Don't do it!! What happens when she says the RB-81's (which sound great) are too big? Will you look for a bose system? I would'nt go down that road.

BTW I have had RB-61's and 81's both are very impressive.

RB 81s and RB 61s are great. had them both on a 7.1 system at the same time and wow!!!!!.

Would still have them if not for the heritage sickness.

Personally I would fight tooth and nail all the way to the divorce lawyers office for my big speakers

man law rules

From my cold dead fingers!!!!!!!!!( speakers and guns)

Well, if you replace your front mains then you'll have to replace your center speaker. And if you do that you'll have to replace your surround speakers. Why don't you let your wife know that she's going to cost you guys a lot of money. [:)]

The 81's are a pain to mount on the wall. You have to use L brackets or the speaker mounts that clamp down, holding speaker in place. Neither of which looks very good.

If the 61's have the mounting hardware on the back of the speaker, I'd go with those.

The 81's are great speakers, but getting them on the wall is difficult.

Well, if you replace your front mains then you'll have to replace your center speaker. And if you do that you'll have to replace your surround speakers. Why don't you let your wife know that she's going to cost you guys a lot of money. Smile

Right! Wives respond to that!

If the 61's have the mounting hardware on the back of the speaker, I'd go with those.

They don't... but they do sound nice.

Seriously though, it would do some good to take wifey out speaker shopping and count her opinion as completely valid. I would have her take a look at the new icon W series line of floorstanders... the finish on them are very, very living room friendly. OR slip in a pair of Chorus IIs or Cornwalls for a week and then go back to the KG's.... see what she has to say about them then... [6]

You've got this whole thing backwards. You can upgrade to the P-17B's and still be in your WAF and weight restrictions. Nothing like a nice 3 way bookshelf.

You could sell her car to buy them, yea thats the ticket!