Start Your Own Feral Cat Colony

cmdridq

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When my then GF, now wife was moving in with me, we had to catch her cat. Trixie was in her house so I say her cat, but the cat might as well have been feral, we were after much work and 3 people helping to get the cat into a bathroom. Then wearing several layers of clothes, welding gloves, and carrying a cage, we set to war, there was alot of shit and alittle blood on the walls (mostly his) by the time I got the beast in the cage. We tried to give it to a no kill shelter, but they wouldn't even open the cage, so off to the kill shelter we went.

Of course I am not a true cat hater, I did have a little buddy named Max at one tiime, I'm just a dog person. a working dog person.

Ever seen a working cat?

That is often the reaction of the cats I catch in the racoon trap....they ain't happy.

I've caught one of our garage cats a few times, including the same one twice in 3 days (can you say stupid kitty)... and they've been pretty mellow. The feral cat I caught after at least a month of trying was much more cranky then the raccoon I recently caught. He was way too quiet and calm for being trapped.

We had a "cat lady' in the neighborhood- like 30-50 cats hanging out around her house. laying all over peoples cars- smashed in the road- ect ect. One trashed the hood on my BMW which I had several years ago. I started setting raccon traps baited with tuna. I would call the city to come and haul them to the shelter and raise heck about the situation. Finally after many complaints they took action- but it took like a year to get then to do anything.

As previously stated- I have no problem with properly cared for cats.

Many states or cities will issue live trap permits to trap racoons.

A feral anything is not for the faint of heart to try and manage. It is too bad that some people allow themselves and their neighbors to get overwhelmed by cats. By the same token I simply cannot understand people who intentionally harm cats (or anything for that matter). I have always lived where there were animal control services who would deal with excessive cat populations. I do worry about those who find any amount of joy in hurting or tormenting an innocent animal. It is a fine line between dealing with a nuisance and finding pleasure in the duty. Look where animal cruelty got Michael Vick.

I do worry about those who find any amount of joy in hurting or tormenting an innocent animal. It is a fine line between dealing with a nuisance and finding pleasure in the duty.

I agree completely Oscar. I opened the newspaper this morning to find this story about a man beating a cat with a rake... and then shooting it with a BB gun. He has some anger management issues it seems. If I had been the one to find him doing it, I would have gone home to retrieve my own BB gun and then started shooting him to see how he liked it. Want a pesky cat out of your yard? Camp out with the garden hose and spray 'em every time they venture over. Usually only takes one or two times of getting soaked before they get the point... and it's harmless for the cat and its owner. [:)] http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/man-charged-in-beating-of-neighbor-s-cat-1.1344645

Want a pesky cat out of your yard? Camp out with the garden hose and spray 'em every time they venture over. Usually only takes one or two times of getting soaked before they get the point...

I've chased a few opossum out of our garage that way. A bit messy but got 'em out of the garage.

Want a pesky cat out of your yard? Camp out with the garden hose and spray 'em every time they venture over. Usually only takes one or two times of getting soaked before they get the point... and it's harmless for the cat and its owner. Smile

One time with a squirt bottle filled with vinager is enough. Cats would give my yard a two house birth after getting hit just one time with vinager. [;)]

Now Michael, not trying to be heartless but this has been an on-going issue in this area for a long time. The people who own the cats know the problems THEY are causing, and it's not only me. We are not talking one or two cats, more like twenty. "Please be a kind neighbour".... I couldn't agree more. When you get to the point where it is impossible to open your back door because of the rancid stench of cat piss, and hundreds of dollars of plants are destroyed and dug-up, now you have to re-plant them while trying to avoid getting a handful of "Fluffies" $h!t.....when this happens to you on a regular basis, only then can you understand the problem that these little $h!t machines are capable of. And NO I am not going to waste any more of my time to search out the these irresponsible owners, they know the problems they are causing, and have been told by others on numerous occassions, only to receive verbal abuse in return. It seems stealth and a covert operation is by far the best remedy. The strange thing is the owners of these cats don't have a "cat problem", seems there is an unwritten rule amongst cats "Don't $h!t in Your Own Yard".Wink

dat's cool [Y]

Dogs can't run loose, neither should cats.

"In 1996 there were 184 reports of people being bitten by rats in New York. In 1996 there were 1,102 reports of people being bitten by other people in New York. The same year there were 9,655 reports of dogs biting humans." This is why dogs aren't allowed to roam free, they can be aggressive toward man... looking at the numbers perhaps humans shouldn't be allowed to run free either. [;)]