Comparing Altecs to Khorns

paul32579

VOTT frequency response is not as smooth as a Khorn in the bass region. There is a falloff in efficiency when the reflex port of the VOTT starts to reproduce lower frequencies and the output of the VOTT's horn falls off..

Additionally, the VOTT has more distortion than the Khorn, both IM and THD. And less SPL output.

The VOTT was designed to be a smaller, cheaper theater speaker than the large Altecs used at the time. It worked fairly well when used with the optical sound tracks, with their limited frequency response and high distortion, used in the cinemas of the era.

When used as home speakers or PA speakers, the VOTT's limitations became apparent. 70 Hz bass response in the home, low acoustic output in sound reinforcement use, and the arrival of more powerful amplification for movie theater use obsoleted the VOTT.

You will most certainly get contrasting opinions, so it's best to listen for yourself. I have neither owned nor heard khorns, and currently have a set of modified LaScalas which I enjoy very much. I tried the altec 902 driver and thought it was a big improvement over the khorns k55. The trade off is, it doesn't reach as low. I'm not a fan of the 511 horn, much preferred my wooden trachorns. That's all I have for input. Why do you want to know?

I don't care for the 'stock' Altec speakers like the VOTT. Mostly because they are two-ways and I think the Midrange Horn cannot produce the highs of the Klipschorn Tweeter. I agree the Altecs are no match for the Khorn. A7s or Model 19's, both sound mushy compared to Khorns. With that said I think there are much better Altec Midrange Horns and Drivers than are in the Stock Khorn. So I took the best of both worlds.

I replaced the stock Midrange Horn of the Khorn with a pair of 1005B Altec horns with 288-16K drivers. They are HUGE and so is their sound. Much more Dynamic and Big sounding than the Khorn Midrange. I custom built a single order Crossover and use the Khorn Stock Bass Bin and Tweeter. I custom built a frame for the Tweeter and made a Custom Top Hat 'Bottom' for the Altec Horn to Bolt on. This was 4 years ago and I have not looked back.

Here is a Picture:

Altec-KHorn.jpg?t=1249504055

What bass horn/squawker combo made up the VOTT? I have two 816a bass horns that produce good bass at or below 50hz based on tone generation, not even to mention 70. It may be that these were not even part of the VOTT, I don't really know. Maybe my bass extention is driver related?

As far as Khorns vs Altecs in the bass dept: It seems that some folks are gonna require a subwoofer no matter what speakers they have.

I was talking to someone about this the other day. The comment was made that you do not see people putting K400 and K77 on top of their altecs or jbls. However you do see lots of people using Klipsch bass horns with all manor of top horns jbl, altec, oris and other diy attempts. In Europe the LaScalla bass bin plans are very popular.

What bass horn/squawker combo made up the VOTT? I have two 816a bass horns that produce good bass at or below 50hz based on tone generation, not even to mention 70. It may be that these were not even part of the VOTT, I don't really know. Maybe my bass extention is driver related?

As far as Khorns vs Altecs in the bass dept: It seems that some folks are gonna require a subwoofer no matter what speakers they have.

The VOTT was supplied in various configurations, however the most popular for home use was the 16 inch 416 series bass speaker coupled with either an 811 or 511 horn with the 802 series driver (tangerine phase plug). Some other combos were with the 16 inch 515 series bass driver (more power handling) with the 1005B horn & 288 HF driver, Crossover frequencies varied from 500 to 800 to 1200 Hz.
Most models had no trouble getting frequency response down to at least 50 Hz, although even Altec recommended their bass reflex designs for more effective low end response. I have had A7's & still own a pair of model 19's. I thought the A7's were tremendous...lots of impact, very realistic sounding, but I couldn't live with the limited low end...pretty much the same as I'm now experiencing with my LS. (Bass reflex mod now in progress with them). I much prefer the sound of the Model 19's....very warm & detailed with that big huge realistic sound. I haven't heard another speaker sound as real as these to my ears.

post-32839-13819488650562_thumb.jpg

I have had VOTTs and presently using k horns- Votts hava a nice nostalga appeal and a classy look. Shortcomings at the high and low end. If you plan to listen to them- its a joke- as with everything except jubs or palads compared to the k horns. Just buy the k horns and forget about the rest.Upgrade proof.

I don't care for the 'stock' Altec speakers like the VOTT. Mostly because they are two-ways and I think the Midrange Horn cannot produce the highs of the Klipschorn Tweeter. I agree the Altecs are no match for the Khorn. A7s or Model 19's, both sound mushy compared to Khorns. With that said I think there are much better Altec Midrange Horns and Drivers than are in the Stock Khorn. So I took the best of both worlds.

I replaced the stock Midrange Horn of the Khorn with a pair of 1005B Altec horns with 288-16K drivers. They are HUGE and so is their sound. Much more Dynamic and Big sounding than the Khorn Midrange. I custom built a single order Crossover and use the Khorn Stock Bass Bin and Tweeter. I custom built a frame for the Tweeter and made a Custom Top Hat 'Bottom' for the Altec Horn to Bolt on. This was 4 years ago and I have not looked back.

Here is a Picture:

Altec-KHorn.jpg?t=1249504055

Hmmm, funny to say no match but you have taken a Stock Klipch product and added Altec Horns. LOL.I am a fan of both and both have strengths and weaknesses. I OWN BOTH so PM me as the Klipsch crowd is kind of bias,.... however, one thing you will never see, is an ALTEC fan adding Klipsch drivers or horns. You want to talk no comparison, compare Driver for Driver.

Too funny!

I have owned KLIPSCH:

Belles, Khorn, RF7, KSP 400, RF3 Lascalla auditioned Cronwalls

Owned Altec 604 Onkens, Model 19's

Cut-Throat at least we have Fly fishing to agree upon ;)

Has anyone heard the Altec 604? I've always wanted to hear them especially recently. There was a vintage pair of corner cabinets for them on ebay not long ago.

Yep, owned a pair in ONKEN mahogany Cabinets. Stunning! These are not mine but they give you an idea.....

post-12799-13819488652256_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, funny to say no match but you have taken a Stock Klipch product and added Altec Horns. LOL.I am a fan of both and both have strengths and weaknesses. I OWN BOTH so PM me as the Klipsch crowd is kind of bias,.... however, one thing you will never see, is an ALTEC fan adding Klipsch drivers or horns. You want to talk no comparison, compare Driver for Driver.

Too funny!

I have owned KLIPSCH:
Belles, Khorn, RF7, KSP 400, RF3 Lascalla auditioned Cronwalls
Owned Altec 604 Onkens, Model 19's

Cut-Throat at least we have Fly fishing to agree upon ;)

Altec Fans don't add Klipsch Drivers because they throw them out and Replace them with Khorns. LOL !

The Altec Midrange Horns that I use are not Available as a Turnkey Altec Speaker. No need to PM you as I have owned them all also.

'"o need to PM you as I have owned them all also".

That part of my post was for the original poster. [:P] If he felt so inclined.

"Altec Fans don't add Klipsch Drivers because they throw them out and Replace them with Khorns. LOL !"

Well I am an Altec fan and I own both so, I feel I have the best of both worlds. BTW, I also run a 511 on top of my Khorns.

I have tried some other tweeters in my system also. However, they did not even come close to having the impact that replacing the midrange did. In fact If I was blindfolded I would doubt that I could distinguish the difference between the tweeters. I am sticking with my Stock Khorn tweeters mostly because I have a fair amount of work into the frames I built for them. A friend of mine also has Altec Horns with the Baby Cheeks tweeters and ALK crossovers.

Do you have a PIcture of your Speakers? How did you mount the Baby Cheeks?