Did I go too Big?

x97lyons

Ever since I decided to build a home theater system aroung my 20 year old KG2's I have had been a bit obsessed. I started out with a kg2.2v for the center, I added a pair of kg2.2's for the rears. I added a yamaha 6.1 receiver. Now I decided I still needed more punch to my system. So my choice was going to be to get larger mains and move my 2's to the rear or add a subwoofer. So since all the 4.2 and 5.2 I was finding were going for near $400 and that was not in the budget I just purchases a 1995 Velodyne V-1215X subwoofer off of E-bay. It has a 250 watt amp with a 12" woofer with a 15" passive. I guess my question is, do you all think this subwoofer is going to overpower the rest of my system? As always I appreciate all your input.

I guess my question is, do you all think this subwoofer is going to overpower the rest of my system?

Of course not. It has a level control, so you can match its output to that of your other speakers. Having one component that may be higher-quality-level than the rest of your system just means you've taken the first step toward upgrading that system. Have you heard of the Heritage Series?

BTW, "too big" and "speakers" are very unlikely to be found in the same sentence on this forum. Do a search for MCM1900 and see what you find...

Thanks for all the responses. I hooked it up last night and ran to the video store and rented U-571. It was amazing. Ever time a depth charge went off I thought it was hitting my house. It also really added the base punch to my music also. When I went to the 5 speaker set-up I lost some of the base I was getting out of my old 2 channel yamaha receiver. I got that back now and then some. I still probably need to turn it down more, but for now I will enjoy it.

Will it fit into your room after you sell the furniture????? That is the forum pass/fail standard.

Yes around here we measure our loudspeaker collections by the metric ton. I'm more worried about the load-bearing capacity of the structure than the aesthetics of it all!

• Moderators

Will it fit into your room after you sell the furniture????? That is the forum pass/fail standard.

Yes around here we measure our loudspeaker collections by the metric ton. I'm more worried about the load-bearing capacity of the structure than the aesthetics of it all!

That's funny.......and true.

• Moderators

Mr. Monkey says "NO........you didn't go too big".

That's right! Listen to Mr. Monkey! Yes

Blue Monkeys just know things like that, and the guy in white knows what he's doing also, he also listens to the monkey, you have to listen to a monkey that big.

Mr. Monkey says "NO........you didn't go too big".

That's right! Listen to Mr. Monkey! Yes

Blue Monkeys just know things like that, and the guy in white knows what he's doing also, he also listens to the monkey, you have to listen to a monkey that big.

LOL, Dtel, you been out in the sun too long mang, your brain is baked! [;)]