Heritage HT Recommendations

Oblio

Hi all :),

I am looking to upgrade my Heritage audio system into a HT setup (and got the go-ahead to do so [:D] ). I am pretty overwhelmed at the plethora of components available and was hoping to get advice from others gone this path.

I currently have 2 Klipschorns and a '78 Sansui 8080 (80 wpc) which works well for audio right now. I also have a Samsung 50" plasma for a TV. I am thinking LS center, possibly rears (other recommendations ?). I would also like recommendations on what HT receiver to use with Heritage. Would it make sense to somehow use my existing receiver as an amp using a HT processor/preamp that can feed it for the main channels ? I am looking to eventually go to tubes for audio in the same room so being able to integrate those with HT could be a consideration. Also, what sub would be best match the Heritage speakers ?

TIA

Chris

If you have the room, three to five La Scalas with your Khorns would make a heck of a setup. You could also use Heresy IIs or IIIs. They wouldn't be the match in big sound of a team of La Scalas, but the surround speakers really are less critical than the mains and centre, and the timbre match would be good.

As for a sub, "very good" is what you want, to go with your very good system. Since the sub operates in a different frequency range than the other speakers, timbre is not a factor, so there's no need to match brands or model lines. That doesn't narrow things down at all for you, but there are lots of good subs that would work fine for you.

Most modern HT receivers would be fine, but with very good speakers, there's no point in scrimping with a bottom-of-the-line model, so you'll want to get at least a mid-range model. Using your existing receiver as an external amp would not make a lot of sense, since a dedicated power amp would have more power and probably cleaner sound. You might find that a good HT (sometimes called AV) receiver with the features and power that you want would let you put together a straightforward system without a lot of extra components.

With a crossover change, a Heresy makes a good, flexible center. Otherwise, La Scalas are the best sounding option. Match the drivers and crossovers as much as possible. I had La Scala rears for a while and the results were just amazing, but my room is not quite big enough. Cornwalls will be good and Belles will be, too as well as pretty. The New La Scala IIs should be excellent, but you'll need to do driver/crossover matching.

You will need subwoofers and you will never get too many with a Heritage system. You will probably not buy enough. Think 3x overkill.

What is the size of your room, and how much do you have to spend?

Since you already listen to Khorns, I would improve the receiver first,(if you want a receiver) and if seperates are in your budget, I would first buy a processor and multichannel amp. Listen to a variety of them instead of listening to other's opinions. Obviously, if space is not a constraint, your best matchup is some Khorns or LaS, especially if you listen to multi-channel music.

If you consider receivers, be sure to listen to Marantz. I am pleased with my Marantz in multi and HT modes. It does not, however, present the musicality of my tube amps.

SSH

Hi Chris,

I think we need some additional info, please, before we can really be helpful:

What are your room dimensions?

Will the room become a dedicated home theater or will it be multi-purpose?

If multi-purpose, what are layout and space limitations?

Will you keep the TV or convert to projector?

What is your budget range for the system?

Like you, I owned and enjoyed the venerable Klipschorns for many years. The most significant improvement to my system, for both 2CH and HT, was upgrading from my beloved Klipschorns to the Klipschorn Jubilees. Everything else fell into place nicely after that decision was made.

• Moderators

Thanks for the replies so far,I've got several rooms to pick from and will measure my favorite one today and estimate $$ budget. Still recovering from weekend Chuck-E-Cheese party ...

[:o] If you have to recover from a Chuck-E-Cheese party an all Heritage Ht may kill you !

Just kidding last time I went to one of those I almost died from high blood pressure with all those screaming kids ! [:#]

You have the mains covered add a good center and if room is tight Heresys for the rears, can't hardly go wrong if you get a matching center, your going to love it and you will still have your 2 CH setup.

Dimensions of my 1st choice room are 15x20 with 3 corners, standard ceiling. The back wall (along long dimension) intersects a steep pitch roof (it is a bonus room over the garage) with a small dormer so the vertical back back wall is only 4-5 ft high. Room entry is along the rear wall. Still thinking on total budget .... I'll try to make a sketch & post

Dimensions of my 1st choice room are 15x20 with 3 corners, standard ceiling. The back wall (along long dimension) intersects a steep pitch roof (it is a bonus room over the garage) with a small dormer so the vertical back back wall is only 4-5 ft high. Room entry is along the rear wall. Still thinking on total budget .... I'll try to make a sketch & post

I would say Klipschorns along the long wall, La Scala center and two pairs of Heresy for surrounds. If budget unlimited, go La Scala II and Heresy III, and if budget-limited, go used La Scala and Heresy II. That would look like my setup, except I only have room for one Heresy at the rear (for 6.1). The only concern with the La Scala center is that if you ever want to drop a screen in front of your 50-inch TV, you may need an acoustically transparent screen which are very expensive (or have the screen rather high, above the LS).

For sub, go SVS, Hsu, epik or eD for bang for the buck. Or a DIY solution may work wonders. I am eyeing a DIY horn-loaded sub using a 15-inch woofer.

For receiver, I rather like harman kardon. No need to need a fortune here on big Watts since this piece has a short life cycle. Buy external amps if required and keep those when you upgrade the receiver for processing reasons.

Here's my work in progress (still needs a ceiling)

539002.jpg

Hmm. So your 50-inch already up high over a fireplace? Makes it difficult to place any center speaker for HT. Any room for a Heresy? If not, Academy?

No, I was taken by your design and wondering how I could recess the
center, then I spied the fireplace in our den [6] which is where our TV
and KHorns (and the Heresy's I scored today) are currently located. The only other way I could recess a center would be to tunnel under the garage slab in a basement room which is near in dimensions but a bit narrower than the room descibed earlier.