Wall of Voodoo in the living room.....

Well, I have the original Wall of Voodoo in the "man cave", my wife has the "Wall of Boudoir" in the master bedroom. For the last several years however, my wife has been "on my case" about at least doing something nice for the living room. Ok... That was like asking a wolf to test hot dogs.... Heh! Heh! Had all these Cornwalls laying around just screaming to be put into operation!

Onkyo AVR TH-SR705, TASCAM DVD player for movies, a "Wii", and the DTV HD receiver. Stand is oak with a mahogany stain. The Cornwalls are curly birch with a rose stain (L&R bottoms); special walnut on the "centers", and a special mahogany/gunstock mix on the L&R tops. All Cornwalls are rebuilt, BEC crossovers, new grills, etc. Only thing left is another pair of "pie" logos on the top pair. Sound? Massively nice. Set to all channel stereo, and then adjusted for apparent stage width and "depth". Is she happy? Yessiree!!!

Now where did I put that U-571 DVD?......

• Moderators

Ok... That was like asking a wolf to test hot dogs

She is brave, I have never seen an entertainment center built with Cornwalls ! I can't believe how good it looks and NO need for a sub to add bass that's for sure.

I like the cabinet you built around the center, it matches perfect and looks like one big cabinet.

" Is she happy? Yessiree!!! "

[Y]

Glad your back.

Massive and sharp looking too!

If you're trying to do 3 channel stereo or HT with L/C/R, I'd recommend choosing a single CW for the center and just using that cabinet, better dialog that way. Proabably the one on the left is more equidistant from all seating locations.

M

CP: Just like them both as "center", but they are not coming off the center "tap". They are primary L/R, the others are surround L/R and rear surround L/R, but the amp is set for "all channel stereo". It's a "heresy".... I know, but what the heck, it sounds great and looks nice!! Besides, you heard the wall of voodoo effect once before and when you meander down in November, I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised! As you recall, due to the peculiar design of the living room, there is no other option for anything other than how that is set up.

Fender: The "dog lady" pair are the ones on top L/R. The black spray paint (and black rolled on paint...) was stripped back in late May. They sat stripped and sanded in the workshop until last weekend when I finally had a chance to apply the veneer and do the grills. Same thing with the HT stand. All the wood was cut over the three month period, just took me forever to get a day free long enough to nail the thing together.

Brac: The curly birch CW's were originally BR and were an "animal rescue" operation as were the other pairs. When I ordered the birch veneer several years ago, the sheet had the "curly" pattern with the irridescent lines in the pattern. Very rare pattern for birch.

All of the pairs were in Fender' abode at one time or another. The curly's were Fenders first pair and when he got real nice Khorns, etc, I bought them back. The "dog lady" pair and the "formica special" pair were discovered during Fender's "trips of aquisition", and then cleverly hidden in his garage until he could get them up here. Interestingly, the original cost for the curly's was $400, the formica specials were $200, and the dog lady's were $400. Total cost of veneer was about $300, had to replace a pair of woofers for $220, a pair of tweeter diaphragms for $110, crossover rebuilds for about $250. Grill cloth about $100. Figure about $50 for stain, oil and veneer glue.

Total cost maybe around $2000 for all six which are now "like new".

HT stand cost about $150 in 7 ply oak, etc. Figure the whole thing at about $2300, not including the TV, amp, etc.

Spread that cost out over the last 2-3 years and it's not bad at all. Lotta' work, but heck of alot cheaper than buying an HT system!