Polk Audio

Sinatra

I was only Mobile's site yesterday (stumbled upon it during an HF-81 search) and noticed that besides for his Cornwalls, he also had the Polk RT-5 monitors shown as being being sweet. They were a ported design, bookshelf sized, and sounded pretty good with the Eico.

I'm keeping an eye out for a pair ... they don't seem to be on Ebay ... maybe I got the Polk monitor number wrong?

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He, he!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

I considered Polk speakers before buying my Klipsch Rp-3s a few years back. It seemed like there was a very definite price point where the sound went from terrible on the cheap smaller speakers, to acceptable on their larger models. They all had that same silky warm, but overly colored low midrange sound that I remember from 15 years or so back when several friends owned Polks. Also, only the pricer models seemed to have any life in the upper sound ranges.

They rate well compared to the newer Infinitys in my book. Better than any Definitive Technology speaker. Have the same silky mylar sound as a Martin Logan (though nowhere near the treble detail..or detail in general). And they can't hold a candle to a good pair of B&W speakers driven with adequete power.

Hi guys, I am a Polk Forum regular and one of your folks, Dean has been dropping in so I thought that I would come on over and check out your forum.

Just a couple of observations:

Dean, you are correct, the way you were abused when you came in was inexcusable and I apologize for that

Sinatra: what name do you go by on the forum? I think some of your statements may be a bit out of context.

Regarding the Polk forum, lately we have had some idiots who are making it rough on everyone but GENERALLY speaking, we are a fairly close knit, amiable bunch who like Polk speaks. Having said that, it should come as no surprise to you that most guys over there don't care much for Klipsch speaks as I would say most of you don't care much for Polks. Generally, I have found that either you REALLY like horns or you REALLY don't.

Personally, I think that the current Polk lines compete well in thier price point and maybe a bit above it. I would say that Polk competes very favorably to the lower end B&W lines. The RT25i just recieved a good review in Stereophile but say that pair of Polk bookshelves or even towers are going to compete with a pair of M/L SL3's or whatever, is ridiculous. Honestly, you can't blame a guy for thinking the speaks he owns are the best. It's a subjective hobby gents, so in the end, if you think that your speaks sound best, then you are right.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and hope that we can all keep things civil. I and MOST of my compadres don't condone the bashing of other folks and thier gear.

Troy

Troy, welcome to the Klispch bulletin board. We are happy to have you here. I promise you that bashing is not confined to the Polk board. We've had too much here as well. All of us here are very passionate about audio and our equipment choices and we occasionally let our passion run away with our civility. Thanks for your words of wisdom and cmon back any time.

Fabian,

My comment regarding the Polk forum was posted on the 9th. At that time Chris was trying to form a posse to have me rounded up and hung.

Since then, Micah and Justin have reeled those folks in and the likes of you, Troy, Ron, and others have been very receptive of my presence.

I apologize for my comments.

------------------

dean

Bob and Dean,

Thanks guys! It's a great hobby and I love to BS with anyone, I really don't care what kind of gear you have. I will say that the knowledge level of the folks here is probably a bit higher than the Polk board but a lot of our heavy hitters for one reason or another aren't around as much anymore. Props to Klipsch, looks like you guys have a great bunch here (deaf, maybe)...looking forward to yaking with you guys.

Troy

Maybe i should sort out some of the things i said.I posted this a while ago and was just checking it now. But I really have no problem with polk (to clear things up) That was my fault, i guess i was just just trying to get in the face of those some people that said klipsch is crap. It sorta offended me in a while. Sorry everyone.

-Sinatra

Sinatra,

Dont worry about some PA clowns who dont know what realism and accuracy is.These peeps dont have a clue what live performance is,all they want is a very polite sound with no impact no dynamics.Poor them

I would not give my Klipsch R series against any PolkAudio speakers.I had a PolkAudio sub and all I remember is it was a pathetic joke with a $10 eight inch driver and lousy PMPO style output.Returned the junk the next day!And their reference multidriver towers with the crappy foam radiators...a total bum.

If they want talk quality let me bring my Dynaudio Contour 3.3's to the table,all PA owners dont hold a candle to my Dynes.

Like the local Polk/Klipsch dealer said,Klipsch outsells PolkAudio 5/1.Side by side Klipsch leaves the pseudo High-End in the dust.

Want real High-End ...Dynaudio eats PolkAudio whole.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

OK, one last thing on this thread and I will say no more....

First, Sinatra, what name do or did you go by on the Polk Forum? Second, we do have some clowns but generally we are an amiable bunch. HOWEVER, if you go in spouting about how much better Klipsch (or any product) is on a Polk forum. Yeah, you are going to get backlash. Much like I don't expect anyone here to convert to Polk. I would rather try to convince folks that we are all audio nuts who just have a different slant on things. If we all liked the same things, life would be boring.

Next, I think you will find that Polk sells a fair amount of speakers as well but since when do sales #'s equate to good speakers? RE: Bose, they outsell everyone.

Crappy foam radiators? A buddy of mine has KG4's, what's that? A passive radiator? Looks an awful lot like the one on the older Polks!

Polk and Dynaudio? C'mon, be serious! You are talking about a speakers that listed for like 7 grand. That's not a fair comparison at all. Line them up against a pair of KG4's and tell me that they are similar. BTW: Where is the horn on those Dynaudio Contour 3.3's ?

Lastly, we all hear things differently so let's just leave it at that. OK?

Troy

This message has been edited by TroyD on 03-19-2002 at 08:02 AM

There is so much rage forming with this thread, wow. My fault i guess, Troy...i go by the name Striker. You may not know me because i did not post too many this year. I really didn't go bragging in the polk forum...i simply asked questions. I feel that i know a good deal about speakers and audio but not as much as most people...I'm simply trying to fill my head with as much as i can. I never really told anyone this but i am hoping to come out with a line of speakers of my own. I have some good ideas but, lol...its just a dream of mine. Sinatra is my last name...not a bad name for a speaker...taking old blue eyes to help promote may not be bad. Again its just a silly dream of mine. I don't knock polk....at least i try not too. lol, troy, how much of this got back to the polk forum...there must be some pissed off polk members lol.

-Sinatra

"IN the long run, we are all just looking for a better sounding speaker."

FYI ebven the cheapest Dynaudio the Audience 40 leave the PolkAudio copetition in the dust.Detail wise,imaging...overall quality.PolkAudio is not even in the same league as Dynaudio.

And since the Contour 3.3 retails for7 grand(I paid much less Smile.gif )even compared to B&W Nautilus 803 it bets the B&W in all respects but looks(the Nautilus is so classy).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I went on the polk forum just to say Hello introduce

myself etc and just to talk to some audiophiles what

did i find? first post i made they said First upgrade

Start by throwing out your god awful Klipsch I was like

ARE YOU KIDDING ME.. needless to say i dont think

ill be posting there much more..

I just dont think they have the same crowd there that

we have here. Granted i dindt say my klipsch smoke your

polks i was just saying hello etc and a huge attack asap

Whatever no biggie..

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Sony STR-DE975 HT Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

No rage here guys, I will happily debate speakers or whatever.

Sinatra, I was just trying to place you. I don't recall any of your posts, to be honest but good luck with your speakers!

As far as the Dynaudio's go, I haven't heard them so I can't give an opinion. However, what was offered was a comparison of Polks to a pair of Dynaudio Contour 3.3's. You can't really compare any speaker to another that costs 10X as much. I will put Polks up against anything in it's class however. If you don't agree, cool, no sweat.

QUiKSR20: Here I have to throw the BS flag. The only person who made a remark about your speaks was Dean (a Klipsch guy from this forum) who was pulling your chain. Even one of our guys pointed this out. Every other reply POLITELY tried to give an opinion vice your question about receivers. There was no attack or rudeness at all. If you like I can post the entire thread. However, if you just want to start a bunch of animosity, then, well whatever floats your boat, compadre. I only asked why would you ask Polk guys what gear went best with Klipsch speakers, why not ask Klipsch guys. To put a point on it, you want to know which receiver goes best with your rig? Go out and demo the equipment yourself and then tell US what sounds best.

Lastly, before I sign off, no one on the Polk forum talks crap about anyone on the Klipsch forum and we don't come over bombing on you guys so please extend us the same courtesy. If you want to seriously talk audio gear, that would be great

Good luck to you all and enjoy your gear,

Cheers,

Troy

Hey guys, well I'm now a Polk-er Person! I've been keeping an eye out for a pair of the RT-5 that Mobile gave the thumbs up on and as luck would have found a pair 11 minutes before the end of the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1339892718&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1016565140&indexURL=0&rd=1

They will mate up with the Eico HF-81 and HFT-90 tuner that are headed down to my brother's domicile in SC ... I think I'll have to give these a good listen first!

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD