Is pop music dead?

chuckears

I made that statement in a response to the grammy thread... I think I believe it; in fact, I think I can state with a fair bit of certainty when pop music (and I am talking about pop music since the birth of rock-n-roll) actually acheived its climax... "Every Breath You Take" by The Police was the last Great Pop Song; anything decent after that was the afterglow.

Of course, I could be wrong...

(or full of sh#@)

This message has been edited by chuckears on 03-02-2002 at 05:21 PM

i think the ideal of Pop music will never die, but a generation of Pop will. Pop is the music of the masses. RIght now it is teen "pop" stars, or as i call them, Pop Tarts, that are putting out music. In a few years it may totaly turn around, it seems to be the trend, from what i have seen in my short 17 years of life haha

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

hey, hey, my, my. rock n' roll will never die! cwm4.gif

now pop has always been a sell-out for our favorite progressive bands that we just have to put up w/ eventually (e.g., aerosmith, reo, etc., etc.).

but some are just pop & nothing more. even the new stuff seems the same. i do like some of the new rock (even their pop). though anybody else wonder why it's mostly young premature balding guys in plaid shirts? cwm5.gif

anyway, guess my point is it depends on the situation. cwm35.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Aerosmith's last good album was 'Rocks'.

They quit Cocaine, and turn into weenies.

They are like Metallica, they really need to change their name for the namesake.

They are only shells of what they once were.

What flavor of cookie-cutter band do you want today?

Bubble gum?

Chocolate?

If the kids buy it, we'll sell it!!

Artistic talent? Who cares! Give the kids what they want!

Geez Boa, are we gettin' old or what?

How Ironic, BOA.

So do I, and it's vinyl as well.

You must be a Klipsch Soul Brother.

Most real music is on dvd-audio and SACD.

Okay Youngklip, Just what the Hell do you mean by this?

I'm not trying to bash ya, I'm just curious.Wink.gif

American Graffiti, now that would be a good DVD.

This message has been edited by mike stehr on 03-03-2002 at 03:22 AM

The really good music these days is not on the radio or TV. The powers that be are more interested in product than music. For really good music check out Blue Rodeo, Old 97's, and Whiskey Town. This is great music that's to good to be played on "cookie cutter" radio.

mike, i think so. 1st real album i got (prepub years) after my johnny cash & archies/monkees phases was black

sabbath "paranoid". don't know if u really want to be my ksb - i gots rats in the celler. cwm4.gif

youngklip u must mean those are the disks you can really play at frequencies of 48-96khz. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

I think I can honestly say that Pop is dead. At least as far as I'm concerned. When I was growing up (late 60's/early 70's), I can remember sitting in the Malt Shop on the Naval base listening to Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky", Don McLean's "American Pie", Tommy James' "Crystal Blue Persuasion" and "Crimson and Clover" to name a few. Later on it became Deep Purple, Grand Funk Railroad, BTO and The Doobie Brothers. When I hear these songs today (Oldies stations), I can still remember where I was when I heard them on the jukebox, and it brings back warm memories. I'm wondering if the kids today can say the same thing about today's Pop music 30 years from now.

As for the music itself, I have never seen a more talentless group in all of Pop music's history. This of course is just my opinion and I'm sure there are others who will differ with me but overall, it is true. You couldn't pay me to sit there and listen to a whole CD by any of these groups.

I think another area that has headed down hill with today's Pop music is the recording itself. Back in my day you had artists like Steely Dan, Heart, Alan Parson's Project and Supertramp that actually cared how their music sounded when it was produced. I don't know if you can say the same thing about today's music.

If it sounds like I'm a little bitter about this, rest assured I am not. The beauty is that I don't have to listen to it if I don't want to and until it gets better, that's the way it's gonna remain. Smile.gif

Getting off my soapbox now...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

LOL....

While reading this thread I had a flash back to a Cadillac commercial this past weekend. The music they chose was Led Zeppellin's "It's Been a Long Time".

John Bohnam must be rollin' over in his grave.

Oh - pop music. Well, my feeling is that there are some very catchy songs out there. Unfortunately, the mass marketers (you know, the ones that tell us what's hot & what's not) look for trendy bands and then forced those bands to play songs they find the way the marketers want it to be played. In the "old" days, bands with real staying power either wrote the songs themselves or found diamonds in the rough songs and molded them into "their sound". I guess when one is faced with the decision of either a multi-million dollar record deal or goin' down your own road at your own pace, many cave in.

Tom Adams

Pop is more alive today than ever. Every child listens to music his parents do not like, otherwise what is the point.

Todays acts are not only better, they are also more into different areas other than singing and playing.

The numbers themselves, PROVE that pop music is king, whether we (Older or Younger than 12-24) like it or not. The bubble gum, top 40, teen craze, whatever people want to classify "it" is, is alive selling Cd's, Dvd's, Movies, concerts, memorabelia, magazines, etc., etc. I am afraid as by product of the computer generation though this generation your 15 min of fame is about 2 min, if that, too.

But, today's pop is also soul, funk, rnb, ska, reggae, white punk, new wave, rap, or yes even country. Truth is, it doesn't matter what the title is, if kids like it and as the preverbial Dick Clark kids on American Bandstand would say, "You can dance to it.. or it moves you" Its a hit.

I say get over it whether it is alive or dead. We had 31 thousand cd's put out last year, that is a new record for the music Industry.

(Copied from the Wall Street Journal article here...Tues Feb 26th, 2002, "Behind the music", By Jennifer Ordonez)

"Music Companies say U.S.major label releases often don't turn a profit until they have sold about 500,000 copies. The music industry, like the movie business, relies on relatively few hits to pay its large number of misses. Of the 6,455 new albums (CD's) distributed by the 5 major music companies in 2001:

60 sold more than 1 million or more copies

52 sold 500,000 to 999,000

95 sold 250,000 499,000

208 sold 100,000

leaving

6,040 cd's that didn't even sell over 100,000 copies!!!

When you consider it takes in todays dollars 2.2 million to get a person to become a big pop star and there is no guarantee, you see the problem with a lot of misses by record execs.") End of Wall Street Journal Story...

Back to my thoughts...

I would also suggest to all you baby boomers that people or groups like Sinatra, Elvis, The Beatles, were all pre packaged goods, now at an older age you can see it too. Just today, we get all the background info on music in a simple click....on our computers and it is over. (We make up our mind what has been pre packaged for us from there.)

The only thing different today from the past, that I can say is really different, is Bands/ Artists do not necessarily have to "prove" themselves out on the road. And that is a shame too. A good cover shot.. Lots of Hype..( read $$$), a great video... may get them success. And sometimes this is on non road tested tallent that ends up failing badly in front of people.

I am sure a lot of you will respond to this post/ topic. I can, and will I am sure if your intersted, have more to say about this too. I was under a "development" deal with a record company as a singer in the 80's and early 90's, so I know what I am talking about too. Feel free to ask me any questions you ever wanted to ask someone in this business, and I will try and give you my inside scoop about it too.

I'll chime in here on Mike L's side, wearing nomex gloves for possible flames. Pop has gone WAAAYYY downhill. While pop in the 80's may have been a bit sugar-coated, most groups were actual musicians; Milli Vanilli notwithstanding.

Today, the formula is take 5-7 "boys," teach them how to "dance" and lip-synch and then market them to the world. Where is the talent in this? In fact, why do we call them "boy bands" when all they do is sing? Last time I looked up the word "band," it usually meant that the members played an INSTRUMENT!

Standing off my soapbox... Seriously, while pop in the 80's is certainly dated, there was some genuine talent there. I don't see it in today's music. I'll be just like Mike L, until it gets better, I'll stick with what's in my current collection.

Rsponse to JHawk92 and the posts...

As far as Milli Vanilli.. why don't we give the Grammy's to the musicians that did sing...I have always felt the fact that it was the song of the year give it to them. ( This is a tragedy IMO)

Besides, do we get mad that say the national anthem at the superbowl is taped too?? It is.. Do we look at an actor who portrays someone else in a movie and say THAT is not real...come on. It's Entertainment!!

Today's groups like Destiny's Child..change members, get newer ones...only to give the newer ones the Grammy's... go figure.....

Also are you so naive that many of the older groups you listened to did not have studio musicians come in and "clean up" what was laid down on tape. Or add to it.

You said, "Today, the formula is take 5-7 "boys," teach them how to "dance" and lip-synch and then market them to the world. Where is the talent in this? In fact, why do we call them "boy bands" when all they do is sing? Last time I looked up the word "band," it usually meant that the members played an INSTRUMENT!"

I know this is an impossible ? ...but if you had gone to a say a Backstreet Boys concert..( worst example using your criteria) you would have seen that on a couple of songs..they do, in fact, play thier instruments too. I take my younger Neices and Nephews to these events... Don't assume they do not. Lip-Synching is just a by product of the way the shows are too. (Usually 4-6 "warm up acts" too, per concert)

As far as thier "real" tallent...singing wise... Go to any Karaoke bar on any given night. Go to any bar band trying to cover the tunes.....No one comes CLOSE to sounding exactly like the origional. Also include dancing and performing, what takes many many hours of choreography, weeks of learning... Like I said, more to it than most people think.

While you do have a point that it is also about dancing as a group.. This is just the current trend revisited of a formula that seems to work. I think the Osmonds/ Jackson five started this in the late 60's/ 70's as far as teen POP groups....LOL.. Look at Elvis and his swinging hips. Heck even "The Beatles" swinging hair and a bow after every song. The footwork of Motown greats. Don't be naive.. James brown made a career over crazy feet.//LOL

Nirvana didnt just stand there as well.

( BTW the song / video "Smells like Teen Spirit" according to Curt, was his worst nightmare of what he didn't want to portray the band as... He hated it. I venture to say without it, we never would have heard of Nirvana on MTV)

Not attacking you JHawk92 personally...... Just like others in a open discussion, both sides need to come out whether we like the type of music or not.

My 2 cents..

Mike Lindsey.

Good post. I have long subscribed to the theory that people seem to get hung up or on the music that was popular during their youth. As you said, you can remember where you were when you heard them, and it brings back warm memories. Boy, there is nothing like warm malt shop memories!

I think that kids today will be the same as they age. ( minus the malt shop memories ) Our parents generation still favor the stuff that was popular when they were young. Glenn Miller, Woddy Herman etc.

While I agree that todays pop seems to lack talent, I can also remember my parents generation condeming my music, ( Beatles, Stones, CCR, Beach Boys, etc) as having no talent, can't understand them, all they do is scream & play screeching electric guitar, & my favorite, "rock is just a fad." I fear that we are begining to sound like our parents!! (Again)

Like you I am glad I don't have to listen to this new music. I will just turn on some Marshall Tucker or Pure Prairie League, while waiting for John Fogerty to crank out another album. Please hurry John!!!!!

Jethro........

------------------

OK, is the (world) so Naive.....How is that?

I just think most people do not know the music business and how things are re done all the time. A musician may have just had a bad day.. Or not up to the chops necessary to do something on a particular song. Country artist borrow eachothers tallents all the time.

I always look back to the Beatles as the standard. Without the terrific producer keeping it simple when it was raw and simple, and adding layers when necessary too. Their sound, a lot of the times, could not be doubled live also.

Thanks Boa for the correction.. I didn't mean it directed to him all alone to bear...