Swapping a K-77 with Bob Crites CT-125

I have owned all three, Bob Crites CT 125, the APT 150, and the APT 200 (the baby cheeks version). I currently use a CT 125 in my center Belle, and a pair of baby cheeks APT 200s with my combo VOTT/Klipschorns (mains).

To my ears, the APT 150 is less beamy that Bob's horn (K 77 replica) with better dispersion and the APT 200 is less beamy than the 150, with better dispersion than the 150. The biggest differences to my ears was the move from a 150 to a 200 vs. the move from a K77 to a 150.

VMMV.

Carl.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have owned all three, Bob Crites CT 125, the APT 150, and the APT 200 (the baby cheeks version). I currently use a CT 125 in my center Belle, and a pair of baby cheeks APT 200s with my combo VOTT/Klipschorns (mains).

To my ears, the APT 150 is less beamy that Bob's horn (K 77 replica) with better dispersion and the APT 200 is less beamy than the 150, with better dispersion than the 150. The biggest differences to my ears was the move from a 150 to a 200 vs. the move from a K77 to a 150.

VMMV.

Carl.

Thank you.

How do you like the Radian driver I am using a JBL 2445J with a modified 511B horn.

I really like the Radians a lot. I've also run them without tweeters and they are pretty strong on the top end. This winter I'll probably go back to running them alone on top once I hook my RTA back up and do some 'equing (I run 902s without tweeters in the rear).

I have heard a couple sets of 2445s and they are nice drivers. You might benefit by running them with a true 2 inch throat. (I also run 511s with my side surrounds and one-inch Trachorns in the rear). I found some surprisingly decent 2 inch throat midrange horns to run with the Radians (for very low $$ new). If curious, pm or email me.

Carl.

Thanks for the APT-150 ideas guys. I finally found a pair, several places are out of stock. I decided to see if I could replace my CT-125s with the bigger APT-150 horn in my Khorns which now sport the ALK Trachorn. It worked perfectly! I have just finished the install, so have not had time to listen to the improvements. I did a cursary listen comparing the tweeters and found the APT150 at least as good, so I sold my CT-125's. Here are some install pictures.

post-10337-13819512098046_thumb.jpg

It was a tough choice, could've gone either way. I'm running them three-way, so the 2470's lack of extension up high wasn't a factor (I'm crossing at 6k). The 2470 was a bit warmer, the 2420 had slightly better detail. Both winners in my book.

It was a tough choice, could've gone either way. I'm running them three-way, so the 2470's lack of extension up high wasn't a factor (I'm crossing at 6k). The 2470 was a bit warmer, the 2420 had slightly better detail. Both winners in my book.

I figured the difference would come down to the phenolic vs. titanium diaphragms. Your observations seem to show exactly that.

I finally had a chance to do some listening to my new setup with the APT-150s. My center channel still has, and will keep, the CT-125. I really like the sound of the bigger horn. It seems more diffuse and less localized than the CT-125. I can easily pinpoint the location of the CT-125 in my La Scala, whereas the ATP150s are much more difficult to locate in the Khorn tophat. Of course, this could be my phychoacoustic effect when adding a new item to the mix, but that was my first impression. I really like the sound of the CT-125 and decided to keep that driver vs. the JBL or the Beyma. Bang for the buck, you can't beat the Eminence tweeter.

Now that I am not restricted by size, using the APT-150 is very nice. Thanks for the idea guys.

• 5 months later...