OT: Parents Just Moved to Saudi Arabia

justin_tx_16

Hey guys,

Would love for any input. My parents moved to Saudi Arabia last week. The move has been pretty hard on the family but we all know it's all for the best.

It's for work, in Dhahran and that's really all I can say.

They are currently in the dark, communication wise. We haven't heard from them since they left besides an email from Amsterdam and one voicemail from Dhahran. Sounds like they have a beautiful home there and are excited about their new life!

Anywho, if anyone here has lived in Dhahran or Saudi Arabia and have some tips I can pass onto my parents, please let me know.

Just taking their big move one day at a time, hoping to get clearance for a visa so I can visit them, they can't come back to America for a year, so they'll miss my graduation. How many years in the making? LoL

Thanks again :D

-justin

I have only visited Saudi Arabia, but throughly enjoyed myself. I imagine the best tips they get will be from people that they work with, as well as from the locals, with time. I hope you have the opportunity to visit.

The one tip I would have is when they see one of these, to look in the adjacent stall...

Chris

post-9039-13819500164704_thumb.jpg

Hi Justin!

That's pretty strange/sudden sounding. I'm sure it's really not. At least your Mom got to go. They'll keep each other company and be good support for each other.

You've gotta get some high-tech communication going. Have you thought of meeting them in Egypt? That's where a few friends I know went for Holiday. It was easy to go from Saudia Arabia to Egypt and Egypt is not all that hard to visit from the U.S.

Hey guys,

Would love for any input.
My parents moved to Saudi Arabia last week. The move has been pretty
hard on the family but we all know it's all for the best.

It's for work, in Dhahran and that's really all I can say.

They
are currently in the dark, communication wise. We haven't heard from
them since they left besides an email from Amsterdam and one voicemail
from Dhahran. Sounds like they have a beautiful home there and are
excited about their new life!

Anywho, if anyone here has lived in Dhahran or Saudi Arabia and have some tips I can pass onto my parents, please let me know.

Just
taking their big move one day at a time, hoping to get clearance for a
visa so I can visit them, they can't come back to America for a year,
so they'll miss my graduation. How many years in the making? LoL

Thanks again :D

-justin

That actually does kinda sucks, but at the same time, I can see how pretty cool that could be. Do you know how long they are staying or is this a permanent thing? If permanent, wonder if they'll have to convert to Muslim (admittely, would be kinda cool to experience the Hajj in Mecca at least once).

As for the visa thing - I guess you could try to contact the Saudi embassy. I hear it can be a real pisser to get a visa to get into that country, but with relatives living there, I don't know how that would change the game. Also, check out the Saudi Arabia article on WikiTravel.

I was actually offered an oppurtunity to work in Saudi Arabia with my last employment. Would've made a mint, but I don't think I could've dealt with that society and their ultra-conservatism. It would've been a three-year stint.

On that same token, my parents darn near moved to Australia when I was in my senior year of high school, getting ready to start college. I would've had to stay in the US so I could finish high-school and go to college.

Speaking of which - I really need to call my own parents - have not talked with them in a while (at least since the family reunion back in July).

Good luck with this - I bet it is pretty tough, especially when it will become so difficult to contact, let alone visit, your parents. I guess I should be thankful and take more advantage of the fact that my parents only live about an hour and half away from my place.