Too Much???

KingJames

So I got a deal on the Klipsch Sub-10, but I already have one in my main set up... would this just be rediculously too much to have two? The room is decent sized... probably about 20' by 18'. But I already feel like it's a bit KLIPSCH overloaded... haha especially for just a college apartment. I guess my real question is whether or not it's going to improve my theater experience... any help? Thanks in advance for the advice... I tend to just think more is better... which is why my theater is probably way overkill... need some help

• Moderators

You are asking the wrong bunch if you can have too much. My room is 13' x 19' and has eight 8" woofers, four 6.5" drivers, 5 horns and a 15" sub with a 1250 watt amp. I dont' think my setup is overkill by any means.

I have read that sometimes using two subs causes other acoustic problems. Since you already bought it, try it out and see if you like it. If not, you can always resell it.

Too much bass???? I've got 4 18's built into a wall in my living room with a 2400 watt amp pushing them.

I'm drooling! Big Smile

i had the pleasure of auditioning these subs, and the massive other 7 speakers that accompany them, while sipping on freshly ground, pressed and brewed espresso. pure bliss. Carl is a cool cat with a system that garners epic proportions of envy. He also has a very crucial component: a loving and tolerant wife. ;)

on a wholly separate note, I recommend meeting other forum members face to face if ever given the chance. It's not just cool to hear other guys' setups, but neat also to add context to their online persona.

oh, and per the original OP ...there can never be too much bass, as long as it is blended properly ;)

Thanks everyone for the advice... I liked what I heard :)

So my next question is, how would I go about blending these subs to match my system? I've got the Icon VC-25 center, Icon VF-35s as my mains, 2 Synergy F-1s and 2 Synergy S-1's as my rears, and 2 Synergy S-1s as my surround r/l.... and an Onkyo TX-SR607 7.2 receiver.... ideas?

i had the pleasure of auditioning these subs, and the massive other 7 speakers that accompany them, while sipping on freshly ground, pressed and brewed espresso. pure bliss. Carl is a cool cat with a system that garners epic proportions of envy. He also has a very crucial component: a loving and tolerant wife. ;)

[:$]

Very kind words indeed.

thaddeussmith's comments about blending (calibrating) is spot on. My sub is running at about 50 to 60% when you're playing music at "spirited" levels. They would have no trouble drowning out my RF-7's if you let them. The way they're calibrated now, it sounds like the RF-7's have an unlimited bottom end. They don't call attention to themselves at all. As a matter of fact, if they were covered, you most likely wouldn't know they were there, but think, "Boy those speakers go low".

Remember that in audio, headroom is your friend. That was my credo as I built my system.

Four 18's? Womder how they would sound with the Appollo rocket taking off. Are there safety belts on the chairs and are the chairs bolted down?

JJK

The floor is a concrete slab with carpet and padding on top. My couch just sits on carpet but if I have a movie playing with a strong LFE track, it feels like there are actuators hidden in the seat. Some movies have LFE that you feel and never hear. It's very accurate. The room wil not pressurize however as there are 3 doors to the living room that won't shut. It will TRY to pressurize the house however[;)]

If the sub is in the same plane with your mains, you normally don't have to worry about phase, leave it at "0". Subs out of phase will really muddy up the sound. If your sub is on a different wall or location than your mains you need to dial in the phase before you go any further. Let your receiver handle all the crossover duties. Use an SPL meter with a disc of test tones or white noise from your receiver to get your level close to your mains. Tweak it by ear from there.

Gee, what is the debate?

Many people have a pair of Cornwalls with 15 inch bass units going down to 35 Hz or so.

No one is saying they are too, too much.

Also, no one has really griped about putting them in corners as a legit way of addressing bass response.

This set up has been used for decades. Why, now, does a similar set up with subs -- smaller subs -- become an issue? Smile.

Wm McD