Colin's Palladium review

Colin

My big ole square-riggers will have to do a lot of sly
maneuvering to even come close to what Klipsch's sleek new flagship does
so easily.

By adding a modern transmission line of three woofers,
the Palladiums are rightful heirs to the Klipsch crown. They retain
Klipsch's renown ultra high sensitivity and extra low distortion.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/1009/klipsch_palladium_p_39f.htm

Like all horns, the P-39F soundstage is wide and deep,
presenting an image much larger than their mere footprint. Properly
pointed, the 3D sonic imaging of big ole horns can be spectacular, without
the honkiness of which detractors so often complain.
With
oodles of power backing them up, vocals sounded effortless and very
natural. With Sunfire power, the Palladiums have all the detail and
resolution anybody would want, without the hard metallic edginess of some
horns.
They also have the energy and range to
capture the full essence of dynamic instruments, such as drums and piano.
The quick dynamics of big ole horns communicates the emotion of the notes.
They get the real meaning of music. Palladiums have this ability too. They
capture this quality without dampening the vibrancy and life out of the
crucial mid-range.

Why is this in 2 channel? Why is a sub needed.

I already know why they can handle 1600 watts. They are market built so sound snobby richie riches can showcase there gobs o'power overblown wattage ss amps. It's a market niche but since Roy worked on them, they must sound good.

Don''t get me wrong, I applaud your review Colin. Love your writing, affinity and sensibility towards all things audio. It's a shame Klipsch didn't get you a pair for a in-home, stereo review.

Now I love my KG's of various flavors for both HT and music, but let's face it the Kg's are built for HT and sound better that way. 2 ways with ports. I guess the Palladiums are also 2 ways with ports. Would love to hear them but until such a time...

Do they kill the Khorn? How about them Jubs?

Colin,

Great stuff from you as always.

I had the opportunity to listen to the Palladiums A/B with a K402/Jubilee. I find it unfair to compare two speakers with such dissimilar footprints, but I was pleasantly surprised with the Palladium.

The designers did their homework on the LF for sure. All of the typical reflex bloom/boom was under control and very polite at volume. The little Trax mid horn was very nice. Good WAF. (if she has money)

tc

• 3 weeks later...

Why is this in 2 channel? Why is a sub needed.

I already know why they can handle 1600 watts. They are market built so sound snobby richie riches can showcase there gobs o'power overblown wattage ss amps. It's a market niche but since Roy worked on them, they must sound good.

Don''t get me wrong, I applaud your review Colin. Love your writing, affinity and sensibility towards all things audio. It's a shame Klipsch didn't get you a pair for a in-home, stereo review.

Now I love my KG's of various flavors for both HT and music, but let's face it the Kg's are built for HT and sound better that way. 2 ways with ports. I guess the Palladiums are also 2 ways with ports. Would love to hear them but until such a time...

Do they kill the Khorn? How about them Jubs?

Thebes interesting comment I agree entirely --- but it would appear the Palladiums are somewhat of a closed architecture speaker so I would ask is there something which costs less than $10K that one can do to a Khorn which substantially betters a Palladium. It would surprise me if the answer is no...