Camera lens mailer box?

Coytee

I'm going to be shipping out a camera lens... just a 50mm sized. Are there any thoughts on simply using a box as provided by the post office or maybe Fedex without having to go through the double boxing with padded stuffing routine?

Meaning.... you can now buy a shipping box speficically engineered to send something like a PC hard drive. It comes with padding already in the box. I'd much rather find something like that than to have to (again) create yet another box inside a box....

It's a Zeiss lens so I do want it to be protected.

Lenses I've seen come surrounded by closely-prefitted styrofoam that then fits precisly into the lens's box. I expect those are shipped inside well-protected shipping boxes. If you don't have that, I'd wrap it tightly in ample bubblewrap and put it inside a robust shipping box -- but I'd ask at a camera store first. The store may ship it for you for not too bad a price.

I'm going to be shipping out a camera lens... just a 50mm sized. Are there any thoughts on simply using a box as provided by the post office or maybe Fedex without having to go through the double boxing with padded stuffing routine?

Meaning.... you can now buy a shipping box speficically engineered to send something like a PC hard drive. It comes with padding already in the box. I'd much rather find something like that than to have to (again) create yet another box inside a box....

It's a Zeiss lens so I do want it to be protected.

zeiss 50mm ..drool. original packaging is ideal, but wrapping in bubble wrap to fill the volume of the box should suffice. i've shipped several in this method and haven't had any issues.

I have rented lenses before and they are shipped wrapped with bubble wrap and then foam pads to fill up the rest of the box. I have rented a total of 8 times and nothing has ever happened to the lens, then think of the number that they are shipping out like this a day. So the ideal of a foam padded box sounds good but ship with FedEx, thats what they use.

James

zeiss 50mm ..drool. original packaging is ideal,

Heh...yeah but I've had this since 1980/81 give or take a month. I can just about guarantee no original boxes anywhere here. One box that MIGHT have been good for me to keep... on a whim, I bought their 50th anniversary 85mm 1.2 which was one heavy piece of glass!! Uses a 77mm filter.

Used it as my normal lens and was essentially bashed by someone saying something like "most people who bought that lens bought it for investment purposes or collecting"

I guess I'm just stupid.... I usually buy things to use!! As such, OUT goes their box.

[^o)]

on a whim, I bought their 50th anniversary 85mm 1.2 which was one heavy piece of glass!!

That is a superb focal length for a 35mm lense. I had one on my old Pentax, and it was terrific. Huge lense, and let in a lot of light. I was happy with the 1.9 aperture, and in the early '70s, it was pretty nice. A 1.2 is one of the ones to drool over...[:P]

Used it as my normal lens and was essentially bashed by someone saying something like "most people who bought that lens bought it for investment purposes or collecting"

these people aren't photographers ...they are photography gear day traders that think their work improves by upgrading to the latest nikon/canon special. i have some $ lenses, and every one of them gets used, respectfully, but not at the cost of missing a shot. that's what gear insurance is for ...

Coytee, what camera did you use that 85mm on.

The Contax camera was originally a German made camera. I don't know when, but it was then taken over by Yashica as their premium line. I think the story is, designed by Contax and built by Yashica. A Contax lens will fit a Yashica camera and vice versa. If you want an inexpensive way to use a Contax lens (made by Carl Zeiss of Germany) a Yashica camera body with a Contax lens is the way to go.

Carl Zeiss lens are used on Hasselblads, Rollei's, Contax... probably another one or two but those are the ones I know of. I THINK the only 35mm camera is the Yashica/Contax line, the others are medium format.

If you look at a digital point & shoot by (I think) Sony!!

Edit: I don't know that I really answered your question, I used it on a Contax RTS II. I also have a Contax 159 body and several more Contax lens.

A 1.2 is one of the ones to drool over

Drool baby drool...

This isn't a picture of mine per se, I've already sold mine but this is exactly what it looked like. Is that a hunk of sexy or what?!!

Ya know... it takes some real oddballs to find the appeal of speakers, camera lens, backhoes.....

I'm just saying....

[^o)]

post-15072-13819512442694_thumb.jpg