CALL OUT TO OUR CANADIAN KLIPSCH BROTHERS--ARE YOU OKAY?

BigStewMan

The earthquakes occurred near the Queen Charlotte Islands north of Vancouver Island, and were felt to a minor degree in northern coastal British Columbia and in Port Hardy, near the northern tip of Vancouver Island. The Island is 460km/290 miles long, with most of its 750,000 people living in the southern half, far away from these particular events.

There were no reports of damage where they were felt and they were not felt at all on most of the Island. We do get the occasional rumble here, and many buildings have had seismic upgrades, but we haven't had a serious earthquake in a very long time.

No-one can tell when the Big One may happen, but one buddy tells me that the Island is resting on rubble/stone shavings from where one tectonic plate is sliding under its neighbour, causing earthquake energy to be somewhat dissipated, rather than forcefully transmitted to us. I don't know if he's right, but it's a comforting thought.

Almost forgot, thanks for asking, Steve. Appreciate your concern.

Hey Islander, are you around that flood for Vancouver???

No, the flooding on the Island is in the Cowichan Valley, about an hour north of here. It's on a flood plain, plus they had record high tides for a few days, so the water has nowhere to go. It's kind of hilly here at the southern tip of Vancouver Island, so the only flooding we ever get is on some of the roads around Sooke, about 45 minutes to the west. So, no worries, my boots are dry. Thanks for asking.

Down around Seattle, they get some crazy flooding in the springtime, when all the mountain snowpacks start to melt. I've seen it twice on Seattle TV where a certain country road gets about six inches of water on it and the salmon start crossing the road, to get to the next creek, I assume.

However, we just found out this week that the major earthquake fault line that was thought to be located well west of here actually runs directly under Victoria, so we'll have ringside seats for the next Big One.

Good to hear your alright, hopefully no earthquakes violent enough to cause a tsunami.

No tsunami here since the one caused by the big 1964 earthquake in Alaska. That one was insignificant until it travelled all the way up the long narrow fiord to Port Alberni, where its energy got concentrated enough to push houses off their foundations. One house pulled up in front of the pumps at a gas station, which was certainly a strange sight.

There was about $10M damage, in 1964 dollars, but there was no loss of life. Hopefully that will be true for any future ones.

More info here: http://www.drgeorgepc.com/Tsunami1964Canada.html

My favorite is Moosehead

My dad used to tell me that if you drank Moosehead, you'd wake up feeling like you still had the antlers attached to your head. He knew a bit about hangovers, so I believed him.

Ever tried Labatt's 50? 50 and Molson Canadian are sort of the Coke and Pepsi of Canadian beers. So I hear, at least. I'm not much of a drinker.

hangovers never were an issue for me. drank so many different types of beers; but, settled on moosehead. i've had labatts although i thought it was called labatts blue??? also, don't know if it was a name change; but, i used to drink molson golden.

don't drink alcohol anymore at all now.

didn't you folks make a beer years ago called Yukon Gold? Haven't seen that around in quite a many years.

Had a co-worker that claimed he was a connesuir of beer and hot dogs. i told him that hard to believe when he was holding a can of budweiser. Would a connesuir drink budweiser? Would a connesuir drink beer from a can?