Strobe light on turntable

Coytee

Should the adjustment for the strobe allow the image to walk both forwards and backwards?

If the image is 'walking' SLOWLY to the right (counter clockwise) does that mean the platter is turning too fast or too slow?

Does the image ever really "lock" into an imovable image and not drift at all?

If it matters, I'm looking at a Thorens TD-124

As you +/- the adjuster, if things are adjusted properly, should the image drift left.... lock.... drift right, depending on how you turn the knob?

As of right now, I can only get it to slowlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy drift right. Can't lock it however (yet), I've slowed down the drift by adjusting the magnet inside so I'm making progress. I've tried moving the magnet far in and far out to see if one or the other allowed me to have the image drift clockwise and thus far, the slowest I've been able to get the image is a slow counter clockwise drift.

One of mine would not adjust. I could only speed it up. I did all sorts of things to try and fix it. I replaced the belt. Cleaned the inside of the platter where the idler wheel drives it. I moved the magnet all over the place. It finally corrected when I rebiult the motor which included resoldering a few connections and removing the suppressor cap. I am waiting for a new cap from switzerland.

It should stop and bob back and forth a small fraction,, Mine stays put.. Try moving the magnet closer,,

I understand that... you're missing my question, I'm trying to learn something.

With a properly adjusted table, if you turn the adjuster full left, adjust it properly, then turn it full right.... would the image in the window drift left, lock and drift right? Meaning... can you add a little speed, adjust for correct speed and then subtract a little speed.

Logic tells me you should be able to do that. I know the image should be pretty solid when things are adjusted properly.

One of mine would not adjust. I could only speed it up. I did all sorts of things to try and fix it. I replaced the belt. Cleaned the inside of the platter where the idler wheel drives it. I moved the magnet all over the place. It finally corrected when I rebiult the motor which included resoldering a few connections and removing the suppressor cap. I am waiting for a new cap from switzerland.

Can you enlighten me... if the image in the strobe is moving counter clockwise (albiet slowely) does that mean the table is moving over or under speed?

I'm thinking under ....logic being.... if the stobe is working correctly then each time it pulses the dot is a fraction prior to it's previous location, giving the view of it moving counter clockwise.

??

Coytee,

You should have anough adjustment range to make the image drift one direction and as you move the adjustment it should stop and finally begin to drift the other. Stopped should be near the center of the range.

If the image is moving in the direction the platter turns the platter is rotating too fast.

My Thorens has an ajustment range of just a few per cent in either direction.

The strobe and speed is based on the AC line frequency. If Bull Run or the power company is having a bad day, you might be setting the platter RPM to 31 or 32 RPMinstead of 33 1/3 but you'll never know it.

If I remember correctly, given that you start at the correct speed (strobe bars are stationary), turning the control dial clockwise will increase the speed (stobe bars move to left). Turning the control dial counter clockwise decreases the speed (strobe bars move to the right). Again this is from memory and my memory is not what it used to be. I will confirm tonight.

I have noted that on the three tables I have done, the dial will continue to move even though you have reached the maximum adjustment. To gauge the range of adjustment you can feel uner the table for the arm movement. When everything is working as it should I hardly ever adjust my speed. I also run my power though a richard gray conditioner which may help.

Edit: I was wrong the first time. I corrected the motion of the bar information above. I had it backwards. Sorry. Hope this helps.

Left vs right depends on whether the bars are at the top or bottom (I don't know this TT), so I say if the bars are drifting the direction the platter is moving (CW) it's faster than 33 and if drifting backward (CCW) it's slower.

I think we have indicated the same information (after my edit). The bars are printed on the bottom of the platter on a thorens td124, but they are viewed through a small mirror which makes them act like they are printed on the top.

That's because the MkII and beyond D.D. Technics are Quartz locked at zero.

Earlier models and belt drives have just as much drift as other manufacturers.

The TD 124 MKi and MKII are both idler drive tables not direct drive. A belt drives a a stepped wheel that contacts a rubber wheel that in turn contacts the inner rim of the platter.

Hey Richard,

Just reach in there and pull out the wires to the strobe light, then your problems will be 90% solved.

I use an Empire 398 and a little piece of paper with strobe speed markings that I download for free off the web to periodically check the speed. "Close enough" for LPs...

If you want to hear it absolutely on pitch with no wow or flutter, then go buy CDs...

[8-|]

Chris

That's why I finally got rid of my last Thorens years ago. If it was not one problem, it was another. LOLOL!!! They are very good, but it seemed like every year or two it was something else; belt, motor not spinning up to speed within a reasonable length of time, parts and competent technician availability, etc.

If you want to see if the "drift" is too fast or too slow, take a small 1" paint brush and put the bristles up against against the platter. Look at which way the dots go as you slightly slow it down.

...That's why I finally got rid of my last Thorens years ago. If it was not one problem, it was another. LOLOL!!! They are very good, but it seemed like every year or two it was something else; belt, motor not spinning up to speed within a reasonable length of time, parts and competent technician availability, etc...

The old Empire 98/298/398 TTs are built like tanks--and I dare say--don't have those problems. There is nothing that I can see that goes wrong...