Buzz coming from disconnected speakers??

rjsilva

I arrived home this evening and noticed a buzz/hum coming from my RB-75s - and they aren't plugged in! I moved one around the house and the only thing that seemed to make a difference was the direction it was pointing.

Wouldn't there have to be a serious radio/magnetic (not that I know) transmission to cause something like that? Is that legal? I recently moved here last week, but this is the first it's happened. Any ideas?

Thanks!

No transmission lines that I can see. There are some very large radio antennas a couple of miles away, but that's all I can think of. But wouldn't either of those cause regular buzzing?

In theory, no, much too far away and the wrong frequency. A bad connection in the speaker/crossover (providing the requisite nonlinear transfer function) might demodulate the carrier but I highly doubt it.

I was transporting my Forte IIs in the back of my wife's car once and could hear a buzzing sound that drove me nuts. Found it was coming from the speakers even though they weren't hooked up to anything. One of the Klipsch employees on here had a name for the Fortes because apparently they used to do that a lot even though they weren't hooked up.

Most likely EMI reaching the crossover coils or driver voice coils. As I understand it, EM interference falls off with at least the square of the distance from the offending EM emitter, which could, for example, be in the basement directly under the speaker.

I was transporting my Forte IIs in the back of my wife's car once and could hear a buzzing sound that drove me nuts. Found it was coming from the speakers even though they weren't hooked up to anything. One of the Klipsch employees on here had a name for the Fortes because apparently they used to do that a lot even though they weren't hooked up.

Sounds like free power. I wonder if it could light up a light bulb? Is there something unusual about the Forte crossovers that lets them pick up stray EMF more effectively than any other speaker? Could a small "power collector" be built using similar but simpler components? I say simpler because it would not need to control any drivers, just capture energy from its surroundings.

It is more likely a low frequency mechanical vibration from an air conditioning/heating unit, A/C vent, or subway or something. We have such a mechanically coupled buzz coming from a telephone hung on the wall in our office, from the HVAC nearby. At my house I have an intermittent rattle coming from a window when the A/C is running. A voltmeter set to alternating current millivolts hooked to the speaker input terminals will show if the speaker cones are vibrating from such a cause and generating any voltage caused by air pressure variations moving the cones or mechanical coupling shaking them. Any dynamic loudspeaker can thus be used as a crude microphone, with varying results.

If you are indeed getting enough induced voltage to cause cone movement, there are serious issues, maybe a high powered TV or radio transmitter nearby. This is not good for noise pickup with your electronics, and maybe not healthy for you and yours.

• Klipsch Employees

do you have a TV in the room with a picture tube?

I have seen this before in many Klipsch speakers. the flyback transformer on the TV is going bad and the crossover in the speaker acts like a radio and picks it up. The drivers are so effecient that they will play the noise loud enough for us to hear...

If not the TV then something close doing the same thing.

Dimmers can do that...

Get a better dimmer or keep the music playing...

do you have a TV in the room with a picture tube?

I have seen this before in many Klipsch speakers. the flyback transformer on the TV is going bad and the crossover in the speaker acts like a radio and picks it up. The drivers are so effecient that they will play the noise loud enough for us to hear...

If not the TV then something close doing the same thing.

Dimmers can do that...

Get a better dimmer or keep the music playing...

Good info, Trey. I wasn't aware these dimmers could put out enough RFI/EMI to be detected by a disconnected loudspeaker.

Another argument in favor of bi or triamping [;)]