power ratings

quadklipsh

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey dtel

wot system r u running for ur 2 channel audio bliss!!

id like to know how satisfied r u with the klipsch products so far

coz i think im not getting all that i had expected from my rf3s here

[:'(]

i use my victor headfones attached to my audigy 2 sound card , and still enjoy the details and the softness and the warmth

but it doesnot happen with the jvc 911 amp and the rf3s

wots wrong?

apart from the room acoustics , and the ambience

Dr. Sherry,

It might be worth it to look into upgrading the components in the RF-3's crossover.

It seems a number of people have done this with their RF-7's and are happy with the smoother more tame sound.

Obviously the crossover in the RF-3 is going to be different but I would think that an upgrade to similar quality parts as suggested by DeanG for the RF-7 might improve upon your sound.

I'm sure with the help of the people on the forum you will be able to find the sound you are looking for.

-Josh

messing with the klipsch crossover ? lolz? thats an idea !!! but i wonder how many guys here in my country wud be credible enough to top over the klipsch engineers to do subtle changes in the crossover and bring out the best out of em

changing to another amp wud hv been easier ,lolz

how abt a vintage marantz , like the pm 8 or pm 94

Klipsch designs have their emphasis on efficiency and dynamics, which results in lower distortion and reduces the problems associated with power compression -- not a smooth frequency response. The frequency response can be smoothed out, but not without sacrificing some efficiency. There is no free lunch.

A good tubed set-up will soften the transients for a perceived smoother output.

Klipsch designs have their emphasis on efficiency and dynamics, which results in lower distortion and reduces the problems associated with power compression -- not a smooth frequency response. The frequency response can be smoothed out, but not without sacrificing some efficiency. There is no free lunch.

A good tubed set-up will soften the transients for a perceived smoother output.

which post of mine r u referring to????

this one or some other ?

Earlier in this thread you had asked, "can anyone highlight the possible differences ,wch our beloved klipsch wud show ,considering its more power handling and sensitivity and dynamics..."

In your other thread you asked, "i wud like to know from u experienced guys out there if KLIPSCH RF 3S can possibly deliver the sound delicacy and gentleness that comes from the likes of wilson audio bookshelves or the paradigms studio 100 , studio 20 and the psb 6T..."

I answered both questions with my post here.

for every doubling of power, you raise the output by 3 dB.

So, take the rate sensitivity of your speakers (and what ever frequency they are rated at, ie 90dB@1Khz@1w/1m..) and add the power factor of the amp. you'll get the theoretical output of your speakers. You'll lose a whole lot in power compression, just like your car transmission sucks power from the engine before it gets to the wheel..

so use this chart as a rough guide, given a 90dB/w/m sensitive speaker.

1 watt= 90db

2 w = 93 dB = +3 dB

4w = 96 dB = +6 dB

8w = 99 dB = +9 dB

16w= 102 dB = +12 dB

32w= 105db = +15 dB

64w= 108dB= +19 dB

128w= 112dB= +21dB

256w= 115dB= +24 dB

So at 64 watts of power you will achieve the 108 dB level 1m away.

Power loss is about the same in respect to distance.. so every doubling of distance you lose output at the same exponetial rate

Therefor if you are 4 meters from your speakers, you'll only get 102 dB from 64 watts a -6dB drop.. and we've not calculated losses due to temp, pressure, and driver..

Still, with all this audio theory, it should show you that given a highly sensitive speaker,i.e. Klipschorn 105 dB/w/m, you get thunderous output with such low power amplifiers.. Imagine 200watts into a Klipschorn, we're talking easy 125dB at listening position if you crank it.. amazing and they were sold over 50 years ago..

so if I bored you enough or made your head hurt, my fault. and if I messed something up please correct me.

_Bill

Stick out tongue

hi there folks

i experienced a couple of very hi end quality speakers the slh 5 from pioneer ,not long ago

they were better sounding than rf-3s [:'(]

even though we didnt use the same electronics

well as for the power ratings , they were only 40 watts and 92 or so db sensitive

and to my surprise they were hitting 106 db peaks ,and 100 db continuous music,with grip and muscle

and without leaving the delicacy of the musical signal offered by the art audio tubes 100 watts each mono block

Sorry to say it, but the Pioneer speakers that you were hearing appear to be much better speakers than the Klipsch.

Every so often, TAD speakers are released and branded as "Pioneer" speakers. Here is a link to the Pioneers:

http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/speaker/s-lh5-e.html

I just replaced a pair of B&W 800's with a pair of "Pioneers" that I stumbled across locally. They are actually TAD speakers and give up nothing to the big B&W's.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/307piosex/

Bill

Thanks

This maths account , i read it somewhere too,but do u think it goes on n on with loudness with all speakers ?

I dont think so

As the air compression limits a speaker to go louder at the same rate beyond a certain level

Also that i havnt heard anyone say he went to 130 db or so using klipschorns and 200 w power amps

They usually use tubes of less than 40 watts or so

But do they really go that loud to ear bleeding levels transiently ,lolz? I wonder

Tigerwoodskhorns

Hey ! Wot tad pioneer speaker models were those, which u purchased and u say were a competition for the b&w 800

Well im really surprised how r u saying that

As these 800s r pretty much near the best of b&ws

Pls elaborate the models u compared and where and wot was used in

electronics and wot salient features u really observed with those tad ones

And yes , wot price

Did u pay for a pair of em and the 800s too

• 1 year later...

Complete words, what a concept! Gee, the content might even make sense . . ..

Sandy,

That post was in December 2009.

Quadklipsch has since left the texting shorthand behind and posts consistantly legible sentences and paragraphs.[;)][Y]

Merry Christmas,

Bill

willand you are of the top 15 forum repliers .i find your dedication to this forum almost holy!

can you inform me whats your age and profession and hobbies apart from klipsching [;)].

im 32 .

do surgeries all day .

have a music hobby ,seconded only to keeping pets ,german shepherds .

music listening is accepted by all in the family but dad dislikes that coz it takes away a lott of time .

what about you

willand you are of the top 15 forum repliers .i find your dedication to this forum almost holy!

No, I have just been off of work for the last 10 days. Actually I have been hanging out with my 6 year old Jake all week. Watching his favorite movies and building lego projects only takes up so much time. Okay you busted me, too much time on the computer and the forum to be specific.

can you inform me whats your age and profession and hobbies apart from klipsching Wink

46, food service distribution receiver/inventory control, church, music, movies, watching/playing sports, golf when I have time and $$$, wrestling and playing with my son.

do surgeries all day .

The only time I do surgery is when I have a char-grilled medium rare filet mignon on a plate in front of me.

Enjoy your family and this holiday season,

Bill

seconded only to keeping pets ,german shepherds

Hello Quad, glad to see a fellow Shepherd lover here. Zack, pictured below, he was my very best friend in the world. We were inseperable. He led a very happy and loving life. When he passed back in '06 I was of course devastated but he had lived and loyaly served for 14 fabulous years. The reason I am responding is I am finally ready for another friend in the family. A couple of months ago I was put on the list for another of his kin. My breeder is expecting a litter to be ready mid summer 2011.

We are so excited. The blood lines are of "Kings Pride", located in Missouri. The breeder has been exclusive to Shepherds for over 30 years and is world renowned. Seeing your post reminded me how blessed I am to be able to include such a wonderful animal in my life. Not to mention I also love a reason just to look at his picture any chance I get (there are 4 framed on my wall now :)

Sorry all, I know this is the KLIPSCH forum but I could not resist [:)]

Keep on Rockin'

Matt

ZM.jpg?t=1293402992