Beyond Vinyl and CD's.....

SWL

Everyone pretty much knows the deal between vinyl and cd's.

I'm looking for the "latest and greatest" alternative.......Best sound quality, of course. Be it Ipods, mp3's, music servers, squeezeboxes etc. etc.

At this point in time, what's the best? Bang for the buck is what I'm mostly interested in as well.

I've heard a couple sqeezeboxes that sounded really good. What else ya got?

DIrectly referring to the title of your thread...

Korg MR1

I call it the "Audiophile Ipod." SACD 1 bit, 2.8mhz recording I've done blind A/B of live vinyl against the Korg copy and not had anyone be able to tell which was which.

Just as important, it's the true "universal" format that allows transcoding to any PCM res from 24/192 down with no audible (to my ears, anyway) loss.

For the non-techy, it operates just like a cassette deck to record, connects to your PC as a hard drive just like any other.

20gb HDD. Not huge, but big enough to pack hi res goodies to take along to an audiophile listening or party.

The little tie tack stereo mike, while not competing with pro mikes, can be placed on your shirt or tie for the next opera, Grand Ol Opry, or whatever event you like for results that will surprise you.

Fits in your pocket, and is perhaps the biggest bargain in audio right now at 350.00 or less.

Since it fits in your pocket, it also fits in your stocking...tell the wife! For her, it has the added benefit of being almost invisible.

What's not to like?

Dave

Yeah, that didn't even cross my mind.

Dave, you still enjoying that digital (multi channel?) amp you got off Ebay?

Nope. It's in storage. The amp is great, but, for some reason, the analog inputs failed. It isn't the amp because digital from my OPPO or computer works and sounds fine. The analog worked for a day or two after I got it, then it just quit...line inputs, tuner, all of them.

I suspect it's rather minor, but these things are hybrids and I wouldn't even know who to get to fix it...though I'd love to. The server option is really cool and the sound is awesome.

I suspect Mike Benz could fix it...maybe I'll bribe him with something one of these days.

Dave

The Korg is an interesting device, but didn't get a really good review from Cnet

http://reviews.cnet.com/voice-recorders/korg-mr-1/4505-11314_7-32563619.html

Just offering info. as I have an interest in the same type of device.

Yessir, CNET. The audio experts...

They mention "competing devices..." There are none.

Here is their summary:

The good: The Korg MR-1 handheld audio recorder
has an uncluttered interface and boasts stellar recording quality and
file support for its size.

The bad:
The Korg MR-1's poor battery life, fragile hard-drive storage, long
charge times, awkward input and output jacks, gigantic power adapter,
and delicate microphone betray its portability.

The bottom line: Given
the Korg MR-1's high price and poor suitability for the rigors of
mobile recording, we only recommend it to discriminating audio
archivists
willing to accept practical limitations for increased
recording resolution.

I've bolded the useful info. The second bolding would be discribing Dave and many others here.

Battery life seems to be about 2 hours, which pretty much covers any concert and that's the only time I'd have it off AC.

As to "fragile HD storage." Hogwash. 2.5" drives are quite robust and any shock that will take it out will also destroy the unit anyway. I've had mine a year and under all sorts of conditions. The unit is all metal exept for the display window and quite heavy for its size. Very well built with positive, firm controls.

"Gigantic power supply" - I've no idea what the issue is there.

"awkward input and output jacks" - The only awkwardness about them is they are minis. Not sure why they'd expect Cannons on a unit this size. I just use adapters and have had no I/O issues at all.

"...delicate microphone..." - Okay, if you step on it it will probably die. If you throw it on the floor, it will be fine. It's a couple of tiny EC mikes. Subject only to physical destruction and intended only for limited purposed. I assure all here they are considerably more resistant to damage than the ribbon mikes I use with it when I am trying a serious test. I DO use it for testing recording locations for mike position and such, and from what I've heard few would notice if I used it instead of my DAR for the actual event.

"...high price and poor suitability for the rigors of
mobile recording..."
- Gimme a break. I defy ANYBODY to find a DSD recorder any cheaper. Even the Korg model next up is several times the price.

"poor suitability for the rigors of
mobile recording..."
- Horse hockey. Hard to imagine a more suitable device for mobile recording unless it would place itself and shut off automatically for crappy musicians or Schoenberg.

JMHO...hopefully at least as reliable as CNET.

Dave

They also had the price at over $800 in the review.

image-36.jpg&size=16&dhm=cdf538f0&hl=en

Korg MR1
$319.00 new - Audiolines.com
Dave
I know, I had found it in that price range, I just wonder how much of the review was based on the higher price tag.

I wondered how much of the review was based on ANY facts whatsoever. The original list was only 6 or less, can't recall exactly.

However, I'd not have blinked at 800 given the quality and completely unique aspects of this device. It's the kind of thing I dreamed about lugging a 10" RR around years ago.

Dave

I wondered how much of the review was based on ANY facts whatsoever. The original list was only 6 or less, can't recall exactly.

However, I'd not have blinked at 800 given the quality and completely unique aspects of this device. It's the kind of thing I dreamed about lugging a 10" RR around years ago.

Dave

I flipped this to a good friend that I've been trying to get on the forum. He's been through a few different devices recently, I can't recall which ones, but this may have been one of them. He's got his own small studio, and does live recordings for bands, but he's also an accomplished guitarist and IT guy. Maybe this thread will bring him into the fold.

Dave

I flipped this to a good friend that I've been trying to get on the forum. He's been through a few different devices recently, I can't recall which ones, but this may have been one of them. He's got his own small studio, and does live recordings for bands, but he's also an accomplished guitarist and IT guy. Maybe this thread will bring him into the fold.

I'd probably direct him to the 1000 or 2000S. The 2000S can be synced to another or other 2000Ss for multi-track ability. Both machines offer 5.6mhz DSD, which, for practial purposes, is flat from DC to light.

Dave