sub in center

amusingisthedawn

This is a little late on my part since I already have the plans underway and things already measured and bought, but just for the hell of it...will it affect my tv at all if the sub is underneath it? I mean to say: I am building a console. The tv will be on top, there will be a shelf for the KLF C7 center channel right underneath the tv (at about ear level or as close as I can get it with keeping the television screen in the sweet spot. I also was going to have just an open space underneath the center channel for the subwoofer since I am putting all my seperates on a rack system in the closet. If I upgrade to an RT 12D from my RW-10...will I have to worry about on screen explosions and other effects shaking or rattling my tv since it is relatively close to it? I tend to think not since my current sub is 3-4 feet away and doesn't rattle anything in the room even when it's at it's limit, but I just wanted to be reassured that it's ok to put the sub there.

Ok, my mistake, I didn't mean that exact sub. I just meant something similar in power, but square in shape...so that it can be placed in the middle. The reason am going to put it in the center is because I only have enough room on the wall for my HT speakers and 2 channel stereo speakers...no space left for the sub except under the television.

...no space left for the sub except under the television...

Or under your mains, as in the case of tapped-horn subs. See profile: they're under the Jubs, and they are 11" high when laying flat. They're inexpensive, too, but you have to build them yourself if you want the price break. You can also buy them direct from Danley, albeit at increased cost. The advantage is that your mains are raised up a bit, and this usually helps coverage in your listening room.

There is a kit that you can buy from Danley (DTS-10) that will also work but is thicker, and the output of each is about double that of the above subs.

Chris

i feel your pain. i have one concave 90 degree corner in all of my living room ..and one side of it is a window. then i have WAF. ultimately, I've just had to place it in a spot that gives the least crappy output and be happy with it. im hoping to benefit greatly from the rt-10d's room calibration mode to flatten things out and improve the sound.

You can place a sub anywhere you want. Some places just work better than others. You'll lose some output in that location as opposed to in a corner.

Heh. There is a solution to that. Simply buy a sub that has so much output that your care factor on lost output is nil. Heck, my DD-18 sits along the front wall in between the center channel and mains (with about a yard of clear space either side of sub). It rarely gets run above 15%. Usually it is in the 6-12% range. If I've lost output by not corner loading then I'm not missing it at all. [:D]

You can place a sub anywhere you want. Some places just work better than others. You'll lose some output in that location as opposed to in a corner.

Heh. There is a solution to that. Simply buy a sub that has so much output that your care factor on lost output is nil. Heck, my DD-18 sits along the front wall in between the center channel and mains (with about a yard of clear space either side of sub). It rarely gets run above 15%. Usually it is in the 6-12% range. If I've lost output by not corner loading then I'm not missing it at all. Big Smile

Granted, but he has an RW-10 not a DD-18.

haha, why did that statement make me seem so wimpy [*-)]

I have it in the middle right now and the room is so small that it didn't make a difference at all. I get more than enough low frequency. I have a couple more wires to run for the surrounds, and I still have to build the console to hold the tv, but it's coming along fast. I scored a slab of granite for the top of the table, so that was mighty swell.

haha, why did that statement make me seem so wimpy Confused

I have it in the middle right now and the room is so small that it didn't make a difference at all. I get more than enough low frequency. I have a couple more wires to run for the surrounds, and I still have to build the console to hold the tv, but it's coming along fast. I scored a slab of granite for the top of the table, so that was mighty swell.

Good luck! Let us know how it works out in the end! Post some pictures when it's done!