New to Klipsch help me out

Downtownfish

Hello everyone,

Like many people I have been stuck in Ipod land for quite some time. I have been listening to music through my Ipod, crappy computer speakers, and half *** Ipod docks for some time now. I just recently got a set of KG4s, and I am in love. I know they are not the best, but having garbage before they sound amazing. I just got a set of Crite titanium tweeters, but can't install them until xmas.

Anyway, I am running a technics SA-DA8 amplifier(only running 2 channels). I feel like I could use something better, and have been looking into two different amps. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to audio, so I think I could use some help. Also I know this sounds bad, but this is going to be my center piece of my living room, so looks have a little to do with it. Thanks in advance.

1. Outlaw rr2150

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

2. Onkyo A-5VL

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=A-5VL&class=Amplifier&p=i

I think that you should really look at where you want to go with it long term. Are you staying strictly 2 chanell, or looking to get into HT in the near future? Are you going to continue to get wrapped into the speaker world and go larger in the future? The best advice I can give is to really try and figure this out first so your next step is in the right direction long term and then I think you can get some better advice from the forum.

Now that you have some good speakers, why NOT use them with TV? I know you said that you don't use the TV much but when you do use it, why listen to a $2 made in China speaker? Good audio improves everything it touches. Just a thought.

I agree with Cal, about 1,000% !!!

I've been using my main speakers for double duty (stereo & tv) ever since I got my first stereo output VCR player. It's a HUGE improvement. Now, I'm setting up my basement so I have the option to listen to 2-channel, HT or if I turn all the goodies off... my simple 2" tv speaker.

More is gooder.

What I mean to say is that there is a ton of excellent quality vintage 2 channel gear available for peanuts through ebay, craigslist etc. I prefer CL because I can go see the piece and then offer based on the units merits and pay no shipping. Plus, some peeps just don't know or don't care how to pack an item for shipping.

Keep your eyes open and in no time you'll have a second set of KG4s (or Hereseys etc.), and an amp (or two) for under 500 bucks, easy. Then if you want to go surround, it's a possiblity. HT receivers are ubiquitous and insanely cheap until you start lookig at really hi-end stuff. And if not, you'll have nice gear in a bedroom or other location. I'm currently shopping for a set up for the guest room. After that, the pantry.

My bro scored some mint 5.2s for $60, and a nice pair of Fortes for $120. I just picked up a mint Sansui receiver for $40. It's out there.

Have fun.

I am no audiophile, will I even hear a difference from the technics amp I am running now. If I do upgrade I don't plan on getting rid of the technics, so If I want to get into HT I still can. Also I am a craigslist nut, but don't really know which vintage stuff to look for, and it is hard to root through the huge amount of postings when you live in a highly populated area.

I am no audiophile, will I even hear a difference from the technics amp I am running now. If I do upgrade I don't plan on getting rid of the technics, so If I want to get into HT I still can. Also I am a craigslist nut, but don't really know which vintage stuff to look for, and it is hard to root through the huge amount of postings when you live in a highly populated area.

I've stated this quite a bit in other threads and now that I know your main concern is 2 channel, I will state it here, as some others have already suggested. Find a good vintage receiver, be it Marantz, HK, Sansui and it will blow away the technics. Find out who's close to you that has some gear that you might consider and have a listen.

When you search eBay and CL....use the word Marantz, Sansui, etc to sift through all the junk on the site. It will aid tremendously.

WRT maintenance, almost none in my experience. Now that's not to say that a unit won't benefit from a skilled tech and some cash, but if you get a good one than you are off to the races from the get go. My flawless 45 dollar Sansui is probably 30 years old (G-5700) and does a great job of pushing my Fortes. It's got ample power and sounds sweet. You'd be hard pressed to find a rosewood cabinet for45 bucks these days. If it's a CL special, than you can audition the unit. Twist every knob, and try all the inputs. It may need nothing, or could be as simple as a cleaning and deoxit to have it perfect.

When you find something that interests you, just do a quick google search for equipment reviews and you can get an idea what guys with deep pockets think of the gear.

If you can spring for tubes, more power to ya. I keep trying, but nearly everything I see is too rich for my blood or requires an expensive rehab. I'll get there eventually.

I am looking at a Marantz 2252B.

Great choice. I am currently using the 2252b to power my Quartet's in a carpeted 13x13 room with curtains and a queen bed with all the coverings. I mention this because in a square room you need acoustic dampening to minimize the echos and such. If I used one word to describe the sound I would use utopia. Absolutely no negatives at all in my opinion.

As far as up keep, I would suggest you clean all the pots and dedustify(made up word I think) the whole insides. I took mine to my tech guy and he did a complete once over and now the tuner sounds about as good as playing cd's. You will be very pleased with the KG4 and Marantz combination.

Bill