15" circle cutters

aj01

Jasper jigs work fine. If you have a template (old motor board), a flush trim router bit (use a 1/2" shank type) with a roller on top or bottom (bottom is better for that purpose) also will work. Also, the best way is to trace out the circle and then use a jig saw (I use a DeWalt with Bosch blades), to cut as close as possible. reason? That way the router bit does not have to cut that much wood and extends the blades usefulness before having to have the bit re-sharpened. Variable speed vs fixed? Fixed is ok if you only do one operation; the cost difference is not that much, so I would recommend a variable. use DeWalt, but Bosch, Porter, etc are also very, very good. I need a variable because I am also trimming veneer and don't need a fixed 6k speed for that operation.

Bosch is the way to go if a jigsaw is on your list. Trust me.

As far as routers, I have a Porter Cable router that has performed flawlessly (well, I've had to replace the cord) for 30 years. Bosch makes fine ones, too. Real men don't use variable speed routers.[;)]

It's funny about tool brands. As a carpenter here on the West Coast, if a guy showed up on the job with a side-winder (popular on the East Coast), he's be laughed off the job (not by me, of course). It has to be a worm drive, classically a Skil, but occasionally a Bosch, or a Milwaukee (if you've got wrists of steel). Same with tape measures. Gotta be a Stanley. I like my 25-foot FatMax.

What do people like best for cutting circles and curves for diy tractrix horns? I asked for a jigsaw for Christmas :), and I was wondering what attachments people used or if there was something people liked better.

I use a plunge router and a jig I made from plexiglass. Works great.

Sean

I hardly ever use my jigsaw anymore. I use a router for cutting circles. I made my own aluminum equivalents of some of the Jasper jigs on a CNC vertical milling center. But before that, I just removed the sub-base and attached a thin piece of 1/4" plywood with a hole in the appropriate place for the center of the circle I wanted.

For tractix curves, I would use an oval cutting jig.

FWIW I really like Porter-Cable tools. Plunge routers are convenient if you do a lot of plunge starts, not really necessary. I use 1/2" shank bits for the most part. variable speed is generally only important if you are using large diameter cutters. Then you have to slow down the speed for safety and quality of cut.

I typed a long reply and it did not post. I did something wrong.

I use a bosch trim router with a flush cut bit. I trace the circle from a motorboard and cut inside the line about 1/8" with a bosch cordless jig saw. The bosch jigsaw blades are the best I have used so far. I use the motorboard or template as a guide for the bearng on the flush cut bit to remove the 1/8''. This method allows the bit a longer life and the cut is easier to control. I have made a template for most of my cuts in case I need them in the future.