rf-63 and rc-64 purchased, pain and suffering ensues....

computerjunky

about a week ago i purchased 2 rf-63's and a rc-64 center channel and hooked them up to my pioneer sc-05 amp.

for about the first week i was listening at low volumes, just letting them break in..... then i decided to see what these things would do, and that's when the trouble started.

At -25 my wife left the room.

At -15 a picture fell off the wall and the glass broke. (didn't realize this till later.)

At -10 wife retured to the room. (gave me a dirty look)

I got scared and turned it down... :(

but seriously,

The sc-05 is pushing 130w per channel, how much difference would i see from a dedicated amp, enough to justify the cash.. or am i at the point of diminishing return?

sub? don't need to add a lot of bass, but would like to cover from 50hz down below what the rf-63 does, which i beleive is 30hz.. so i guess i am looking for a sub to cover from about 15hz to 50hz. don't want to spend a fortune, and the sub size is an issue, needs to be as small as possible. any suggestions?

btw, my first klipsch speakers, my first higher end setup.. and i am loving it so far. now to 1800flowers to try and repare the damage a little :)

Awesome speakers. Everything got better when I added an amp(200w/ch) to power my 63's and 64. It looks like th SC-05 has a very nice amp section. With that said, only a handfull of receivers on the market really have enough high current grunt to handle lower impedences like the 63's 2.8 ohm dips. Many will suggest adding an amp to the equation to minimize the taxing of the amps in a receiver. Even adding a 2 channel amp should make a noticeable difference in the way the sound hits your ears.

I don't know of any smallish subs out there that can reach as far south as 15hz. Maybe others on the forum will chime in about that.

Bill

thanks for the reply bill,

guess i need to see if i can "test drive" an amp somehow and see if it makes enough differend that i can justify the cost.

as for the sub, would love a 2" square cube base. but i don't think we are there yet with technology. may never be from what i understand about how sound reproduction works. (btw i read a lot but am not an expert in any of this stuff by any means)

what i am really looking for is just a "bump" on the low end of my system. the 63's will rock without a sub. any suggestions.

if it matters i listen to about 60/40 movies/music with this system.

thanks

Mike

my marantz sr8001 was $2k new and has a solid 125w per channel. In spite of this, I added a 2 channel amp (from the 80's) to drive my RF-5 mains and the difference was noticeable, VERY noticeable. plenty of headroom and the system overall just sounds full and free. your results very well may vary ..but there's only one way to find out. :P

that's what i thought from reading stuff. but without being able to actually see how big or listen. wasn't sure what it sounded like or if it would pass the wife test :)

my sc-05 has the ability to bi-amp using the back surround/b channel amps. i hooked it up.. it does make a difference! especially in the lows.

really want to go 7.1 so guess i just justified an amp.

wow at least another $1,000 for an amp and sub... this is getting expensive! and i havent even replaced the back speakers yet!

• Klipsch Employees

Ok here is my take.

First welcome to the forum.

I don't think 7.1 is the way to go...you need a 10.2 system. Even if 98.2% of all movies are only mixed in 5.1

As for a sub, we have a few small subs that will help. I am sure the SVS is a good product. The ones I have tested work well.

The RSW-10 would be a fine sub for you. A amp for the front end is a good idea, but you do have to question the cost.

Rear speakers are not as big a deal as the sub to me.

So,

1. sub

2. surrounds

3. amp for mains

4. more speakers (oh wait maybe that should be #1)

SVS hands down. Absolutely no comparison.

Wuzzzer, I have to give your sub a listen, because you are 100% behind that as being far superior to the RSW's and others. I'll have to call SVS and load up the RSW 15 and take it there and do a side by side.

Regarding the post.........................Get an AMP and if it's the right one, you will hear a difference for sure. Many choices and many opinions, but do some listening and go with what you hear, or just order the Emotiva and if you don't like it, send it back, no harm, no foul.

• 2 months later...

New to the forum; awesome...question, just bought some Klipsch Rf-63's from sound distributors, one woofer in each tower has small dimples or dents in them, will this affect the quality of sound or life of the woofer?

Next queston. Haven't bought an amp, have R-3650-W rears, 1980's heresy's for surround; plan to purchase rc-64 center. Can I mix these SS speakers with originally designed tube amp speakers (Heresy's) on a new 200w 7.1 amp? Anyone please chime in, I don't want to make serious mistake and spend big bucks only to have to change equipment. I know, I haven't zeroed in on an amp yet, any suggestions.

Whew, hope I don't run any y'all off, thanks though for any help....

Wfo1955,

Welcome to the forum.

Small dimples in woofers are a purely cosmetic flaw. Mixing the Heresy's with the RF-63's and using a 200w amp will not harm anything. One problem you will have is having a tonally mismatched system. Using the Heresy's as surrounds will not be too much of a problem but I say yes to the RC-64 for your center channel. My RF-63/RC-64 combo mates very well with my B&K 200w amp. There are many choices of amps out there with some of them being B&K, Rotel, Emotiva, Parasound, Outlaw, Marantz, NAD, just to name a few.

Bill