Too much?

I currently have what I call a pseudo 9.1 system. I have a Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver that is hooked up to an Aragon 2007 amplifier (7*200) and a Aragon 2002 amplifier (2*200). From the from pre-outs on the receiver, I have it split going to both amps, enabling me to have two sets of front speakers. It sounds incredible, and the only compensation I must make is to increase the output to the surrounds, rears, and center, but just a little.

I recently resumed possession of a Yamaha M-70 (2*200) amp that I had lent out. I am contemplating changing my setup wherein the 2007 only pushes the surrounds, rears, and center, and hooking up the front speakers that had been being pushed by the 2007 to the M-70. I don't know anything about electricity and how much one can hook up to a circuit, so I need to ask: is this a bad idea? Presently I have the Aragon amps and the receiver plugged into a Belken Pure AV PF-60. Could I also plug in the M-70? If not, would it be ok to just use another outlet?

I am doing this more for looks than anything, as I cannot turn it up past +3 anyway due to loud how loud it is. However, if it will make a noticeable difference in the electric bill, I would probably forgo the change.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The first question is what amp circuit breaker is it on? What else is on the circuit currently and how many amps are being drawn plus the equipment that you will have plugged into it? Then it's just pretty straight forward. Here's some very basic reading that should shed some light on it.

http://electrical.about.com/od/panelsdistribution/f/calculateload.htm

I took a chance and hooked it up last night. I am not able to discern difference between the speakers being pushed by the Yamaha and the Aragon, in terms of volume or type of sound. The lights don't dim when I turn it up, so I guess all is good. Today I turned it up and have a couple of observations: It is quite loud with less than one watt being pushed by each respective amp. When they are pushing between 60-100 watts (as indicated by the meters on the front of the M-70), it is incredibly loud, yet perfectly clear.

I will follow the instructions from the site, out of curiosity, to find out what type of load this puts on the circuit. Thanks for the response.

What speakers are you running? That sounds quite insane [Y]

A typical 15A breaker can supply 1800W if the power factor is 1. I believe the Aragon amplifiers are Class AB, which puts you at a best case ~70% efficiency at full output, and the power factor of a typical bridge rectified power supply is also gonna be around 0.7.

At full tilt, the rated output of all your amplifiers is about 2200W. Divide that by 0.7 for the efficiency and again by 0.7 for the power factor and you're looking at a wall power of about 4500W [:o]

The good thing is that you're not going to be drawing this much power unless you clip every amplifier at the same time. Turn it down to 6dB less than clipping and you're looking at 1125W, which is within the range of your breaker. Of course there is the power being drawn by all your other components too....

What speakers are you running?

I have four RF-7s for fronts and an RC-7 to accompany it. I have four KLF-30s doing surround duty.

Today I pushed it past the point where prior I had popped the 10 amp fuse in the Aragon 2007. It seemed like I had plenty of room to go, as it is now only pushing five channels. I have never blown the fuse on the 2002.

It is just a little bittersweet, as I now understand it when people mention RF-7 being a little "shrill" at high volume. I will be contacting DeanG, when I am in a financial position. I do not listen often at this volume, then only for a few minutes, so it isn't too pressing. Still, I am very pleased with the RF series, but like the KLF at least as much. I would like to swap fronts for rears at some point, but this would involve a lot of labor.

• Moderators

Today I pushed it past the point where prior I had popped the 10 amp fuse in the Aragon 2007.

With all those watts from all the amps your running you might want to wear some safety glasses, just in case a copper cone launches across the room in flames ! [:|][:o][:P]

It's always a joke around here when someone ask about overkill or is it too much, but this is the first time I said this, dude your getting close !

Even DrWho said............. "That sounds quite insane Yes"........Now that's a complement. [H]

... just in case a copper cone launches across the room in flames ! IndifferentSurpriseStick out tongue

A friend of mine actually had some Altecs catch on fire and do that. He was working in a recording studio in Memphis in the late '60s when it happened. I can't remember if they were 604s or what, but those come to mind.

Bruce

I have four RF-7s for fronts and an RC-7 to accompany it. I have four KLF-30s doing surround duty.

Atta boy Yes

Yessiree!!!

You could theoretically split the signal via a mixer/super connector and cascade to another 3-4 pairs...... Go for it!!! More is better!!! At least one time, just for the photo op and the nostalgia!!! [H]

PS Grove; make a trip down to Okeechobee, which is only about 3 hours if I recall, and see a minimum of 4 pairs being cascaded to separate amps (identical) and out to the "wall of voodoo"....

That would be impressive! I may just take you up on the offer sometime. I am always trying to get the wife to allow us to take US 27 and US 98 to visit her parents, as it much more scenic. (She prefers the turnpike.)