Emotiva vs. Others - Your thoughts...

Xki

I've heard only good things about Emotiva. Eventually, I will need a new setup with HDMI (using component now).

An Emotiva UMC-1 preprocessor and UPA-7 amp will run $1300. The popular receivers by Marantz, Onkyo, Denon, etc, can cost more than that.

Do you guys have any preferences and pros/cons as to which would be the "smart" purchase?

Right now there are LaScal mains, Heresy center, KSW-12 subs, RB-25 surrounds. I am going to hook up another pair of RB-25s for rear surrounds in the next month. So, the 125w/channel of the UPA-7 is just about right.

???????????

Only 'con' with going the Emotiva route is you have two very large electronic items to find a space for instead of a tidy little all-in-one receiver. That is a major obstacle for some people. I have my UPA-2 on the floor behind my left Forte speaker since it doesn't fit underneath my TV stand without doing some major re-arranging. I eventually want to get a component rack to sit next to my right Forte and then I'll have more room under my TV stand.

I have a feeling that the UMC-1 is going to be a huge hit. If your budget is $1000-1500 you should seriously consider it.

Thanks for the come back. My space is rather limited at the moment and I would have to rethink placement, power, and ventilation.

I have a feeling that going the Emo route would be a long term move. The buzz on the UMC-1 is everywhere!

The UPA-7, on the other hand, looks huge. A rack would be great but a complete budget buster. There is one spot in the room where I could build in the components. That's always an option.

There are 2 things that are the underlying reasons for asking the original question. Back in the 70's when I first purchased my LaScalas, stereo was all there was. I had a complete Sony system: pre-amp, amp, tuner, turntable. Heck, I still have them! I put an SAE 10 band stereo EQ between the stages and spent a couple hours manually setting/balancing each band. I was able to get the mains just right. I really miss that control. That's the first reason.

The second is that it seems with most receivers in my price range, when approaching -15 db, the mains tend to lose a lot of the punch I was accustomed to. I'm fully aware that mny LaScala's crossovers need work and auditioning receivers in-store isn't a true test. But, having fully discrete amplification just makes sense.

I'm using a low end Sony right now (STR-DE898) that has served our needs pretty well. It's just when the SPL goes up, the tonal quality goes down and having just bass/treble adjustment is, well, frustrating! I suppose a little research is in order here and there are a lot of options. The Emotiva units are winning the battle at this point.

I'm using a low end Sony right now (STR-DE898) that has served our needs pretty well. It's just when the SPL goes up, the tonal quality goes down and having just bass/treble adjustment is, well, frustrating! I suppose a little research is in order here and there are a lot of options. The Emotiva units are winning the battle at this point.

I had the same issues with low end AVRs. I eventually went with a HK AVR-254 which seems to have a decent power supply which I suspect is the issue with the cheaper AVRs. I'm still contemplating an XPA-5 when I get some spare cash, not that the 254 really needs help, more the toy factor [H]

• Like 1

I have no Emotiva products at present. However I am sold on them for HT applications. I plan to replace a dead out board with a 2 ch Emotiva in Jan. I see no reason to buy anything else if you have to space to accomidate.

Emotiva's sale goes through December 31st, FYI. [:)]

Thanks guys.

That's one thing about some of us. The toy factor has a great amount of pull. There is a local shop here that carries HK and Klipsch + a lot of others. I'll have to get over there on a quiet day and do some detailed listening. I'll leave the credit cards at home.

• 3 months later...

I have a UPA7,it's just as good as my Outlaw 7125 was,Parasound 1205a,Rotel 1075(barely inferior to my 1095 imo).I have been nothing but giddy since I got the UMC,this is the first time I've been content with a prepro for 2ch.The soundstage is huge,imaging spot on and clarity without harshness.I suppose I'm a very satisfied customer,kinda like when I bought my 7's.

I have a UPA7,it's just as good as my Outlaw 7125 was,Parasound 1205a,Rotel 1075(barely inferior to my 1095 imo).I have been nothing but giddy since I got the UMC,this is the first time I've been content with a prepro for 2ch.The soundstage is huge,imaging spot on and clarity without harshness.I suppose I'm a very satisfied customer,kinda like when I bought my 7's.

Interesting...I just got some 7s and love em, more power would be nice if its as clean as what I have now at EMO prices. Did you have the upgrade to your 7s?

I had an Emotiva X5....and returned it. I personally think an amp from Amplifier Technologies Inc. (ATI) or Rotel is a better value. I also think with just a little bit more cash, you can find a better used amp deal. Just MHO......

Care to share why you returned it?