Yusuf's Cafe' (Cat Stevens)

Coytee

Obviously, you didn't read what I wrote.

If you've never heard his music you really should, some excellent music. I have not heard Cat Stevens in quite a long time but have always really enjoyed his music.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, you didn't read what I wrote.

If you've never heard his music you really should, some excellent music. I have not heard Cat Stevens in quite a long time but have always really enjoyed his music.

Yes I did read what you wrote, but if you have not heard Cat Stevens music you really should.

Moonshadow, Peace Train, Another Saturday Night, Wild World are Cat Stevens better known songs, all of them are excellent, I think Wild World was always my favorite.

Edit, I should have wrote some of his better known songs as he has so many more and so many excellent songs.

I have not heard anyone you mentioned.

No loss to us if you never take a listen. I will say though.... I'd bet you lunch that once you heard a handful of these songs that you might suddenly sit back and say "ohhhhhhhhhh, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... that song IS a bit familiar"

Now...that isn't to say that you will LIKE it!!! so my point is really more that you are probably more aware of him than you think.

[:D]

Thanks, but no, thanks. I do not want to listen to Cat Stevens. I have a feeling that you also have not read what I wrote.

I'd bet you lunch that once you heard a handful of these songs that you might suddenly sit back and say "ohhhhhhhhhh, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... that song IS a bit familiar"

Cat Stevens is both and excellent musician and song writer, his songs have been played by many performers it is most likely you have heard him or someone else perform a song he has written. He has such a uniqueness in his own performance. If you are basing your decision for not wanting to hear his music on his becoming Islam it's a sad mistake.

"Yusuf Islam (born Steven Demetre Georgiou; 21 July 1948),[1] commonly known by his former stage name Cat Stevens, is a British musician. He is a singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, educator, philanthropist, and prominent convert to Islam.[2]

His early 1970s record albums Tea for the Tillerman and Teaser and the Firecat were both certified as Triple Platinum by the RIAA in the United States; his album Catch Bull at Four sold half a million copies in the first two weeks of release alone, and was Billboard's number-one LP for three consecutive weeks. He has also earned two ASCAP songwriting awards in consecutive years, for "The First Cut Is the Deepest", which has been a hit single for four different artists.

Stevens converted to Islam at the height of his fame in December, 1977,[3] and adopted his Muslim name, Yusuf Islam, the following year. In 1979, he auctioned all his guitars away for charity[4]
and left his music career to devote himself to educational and
philanthropic causes in the Muslim community. He has been given several
awards for his work in promoting peace in the world, including 2003's World Award, the 2004 Man for Peace Award
and the 2007 Mediterranean Prize for Peace."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Stevens#cite_note-past_present-4'>

Thanks, but no, thanks. I do not want to listen to Cat Stevens. I have a feeling that you also have not read what I wrote.

If you make this decision based on his becoming Muslim it's a sad mistake. He is both an excellent musician and songwriter.

"Yusuf Islam (born Steven Demetre Georgiou; 21 July 1948), commonly known by his former stage name Cat Stevens, is a British musician. He is a singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, educator, philanthropist, and prominent convert to Islam.

His early 1970s record albums Tea for the Tillerman and Teaser and the Firecat were both certified as Triple Platinum by the RIAA in the United States; his album Catch Bull at Four sold half a million copies in the first two weeks of release alone, and was Billboard's number-one LP for three consecutive weeks. He has also earned two ASCAP songwriting awards in consecutive years, for "The First Cut Is the Deepest", which has been a hit single for four different artists.

Stevens converted to Islam at the height of his fame in December, 1977, and adopted his Muslim name, Yusuf Islam, the following year. In 1979, he auctioned all his guitars away for charity and left his music career to devote himself to educational and philanthropic causes in the Muslim community. He has been given several awards for his work in promoting peace in the world, including 2003's World Award, the 2004 Man for Peace Award and the 2007 Mediterranean Prize for Peace."

Islam is not a religion. And lets not get into religion discussion.

If you make this decision based on his becoming Muslim it's a sad mistake. He is both an excellent musician and songwriter.

"Yusuf Islam (born Steven Demetre Georgiou; 21 July 1948), commonly known by his former stage name Cat Stevens, is a British musician. He is a singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, educator, philanthropist, and prominent convert to Islam.

Stevens converted to Islam at the height of his fame in December, 1977, and adopted his Muslim name, Yusuf Islam, the following year. In 1979, he auctioned all his guitars away for charity and left his music career to devote himself to educational and philanthropic causes in the Muslim community. He has been given several awards for his work in promoting peace in the world, including 2003's World Award, the 2004 Man for Peace Award and the 2007 Mediterranean Prize for Peace."

Never heard of him. Who is he?

I'd bet you lunch that once you heard a handful of these songs that you might suddenly sit back and say "ohhhhhhhhhh, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... that song IS a bit familiar"

I did read what you wrote and simply said you HAVE INDEED probably "heard" of him once you hear some of his music. I also pointed out that does not mean that you would WANT or LIKE to listen to him....merely that you are probably more aware of him than you originally stated.

Perhaps you should read what you write?

This is what the good Mr. Coytee means,

"The First Cut Is the Deepest" is a 1967 song written and sung by Cat Stevens, which originally appeared on his album New Masters in 1967. It has been widely covered and has become a hit single for four different artists: P.P. Arnold (1967), Keith Hampshire (1973), Rod Stewart (1977) and Sheryl Crow (2003).

Just one song, you probably know more. Nothing to do with religion or anything.

• Moderators

I had some Cat Stevens LP's years ago, when I stopped playing LP's and switched to DVD's I lost many of my old albums. I had not had any of Cat Stevens music in years and this thread has got me thinking about him again.

His music was a little different than what I normally listened to even back then but there was something really nice about his music, I guess I need to go find some of his old music that I liked first then maby try something new from him. He did have many really good songs now that I think back.