Yusuf's Cafe' (Cat Stevens)

Coytee

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first became familiar with his great music when watching 'Harold and Maude,' many years ago. It is a very funny movie.

In a twisted sort of way... just like Brewster McCloud, but they both featured Bud Cort.

Below is on Cat Steven's being awarded the 2004 Man for Peace award in Rome, just one of many awards for peace he has been given.

World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates

Yusuf Islam (Cat Steven's) Awarded the "Man for Peace" Award

Noble Peace Laureates held their fifth World Summit in Rome aimed at using multilateral dialogue to promote peace. The singer once known as Cat Stevens was awarded the "Man for Peace" Award. Sabina Castelfranco reports from Rome.

The World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates opened with the presentation of a Peace Prize to the 56-year old British musician Yusuf Islam, formerly known as Cat Stevens.

"The Man For Peace" award is given annually by the Gorbachev Foundation, a socio-economic and political studies center, which organizes the summit every year.

The motivations for the award were read out at the summit: "For having dedicated the most part of his life in the promotion of peace and reconciliation among peoples and for having condemned terrorism."

Donating royalties to 9/11 victims

The Singer, who is chairman of the Small Kindness Charity, was honored for alleviating the suffering of thousands of children in war-ravaged countries, including Kosovo, Bosnia and Iraq, for having given the majority of the royalties for his artistic activities to the victims of 9/11 and for his work in favor of the homeless, orphans and AIDS sufferers.

In receiving the award, the singer said he used music as a means to express his ideals for a better world. He said one must move away from selfishness to selflessness and that is not easy in Rock 'n' Roll.

Stevens: "The Noble Peace Laureates are examples of those who have contributed and influenced the course of history by their sacrifices, by their noble virtues for a better world and a more peaceful world. And therefore I am honored to be here today not just as a Rock 'n' Roller but as someone sharing a platform with those noble examples."

I don't think I will ever listen to him.

Early on, he credited his success to his relatioship to Jesus, but eventually, converted to Islam. When that happened, there were folks around the world who burned his albums. If mine wee in better shape, they might be worth more money. His album "Budda and the Chocolate Box" from 1974 had the song "Oh very young" which did quite well on the American charts (number 10).

Ironic statements, given the list of characters on the Matrix soundtracks (and all that they stand for).

The Matrix

1. Rock Is Dead - Marilyn Manson, Marilyn Mason
Listennotes_clear._V47082447_.gif

2. Spybreak - Propellerheads

3. Bad Blood - Ministry

4. Clubbed to Death [Kurayamino Mix] - Rob D.

5. Prime Audio Soup - Meat Beat Manifesto

6. Leave You Far Behind - Lunatic Calm

7. Mindfields - The Prodigy

8. Dragula [Hot Rod Herman Remix] - Rob Zombie

9. My Own Summer (Shove It) - Deftones

10. Ultrasonic Sound - Hive

11. Look to Your Orb for the Warning - Monster Magnet

12. Hast - Rammstein

13. Wake Up - Rage Against the Machine

Hey edwin buddy!

I don't have an off switch.

I have never heard of Cat Stevens. And I don't want to know about him and his music.

Neo. The best thing to do when hearing Cat Stevens is the quick application of the 'off' switch...

Exactly!

...and all I have heard of him he is also a very good peace promoting man.

You can't be serious!!!!!

You seem too have strong opinions of someone you admittedly never heard of and know nothing about.

I have known of the man most of my life and he has always inspired me by his music and peaceful manner.

Thank you, Edwin.

BTW, I have never heard of him as an artist. But I heard plenty of him as a so called "peace" person.

And let me repeat myself. Islam is NOT a religion. It is not appropriate to dicuss subject related to religion on this forum. So let leave at that.

This forum is not an appropriate place go into depth about the man 'formerly known as...'. If you guys are not aware of certain things that came to light a few years ago, then I'll leave it at that. Enjoy his music...

I am well aware, the man has promoted peace far and beyond what most men ever have or ever will and he is a very talented muscian. I both respect the man and enjoy his music.

This thread would be a little less weird if people were not so cloak and dagger about their dislike for cat stevens/yusuf islam.

What Neo and Edwin are referring to is Yusuf Islam's support of the fatwah on author Salman Rushdie in the late 80's.

What Neo and Edwin are referring to is Yusuf Islam's support of the fatwah on author Salman Rushdie in the late 80's.

He was also misquoted about his support.

Sure is great music, especially when you listen to it on Klipsch speakers. I think I'll put some on tonight when I get home.

Bruce