Yusuf's Cafe' (Cat Stevens)

Coytee

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you think harsh punishment for the flag burners is not okay but you have no problem with death to those who excercise their "freedom of speech" rights?

BTW, the statement below is not the reason for my rejection of Cat Stevens.

What Neo and Edwin are referring to is Yusuf Islam's support of the fatwah on author Salman Rushdie in the late 80's.

You believe everything you read? No wonder the Media have clouded your judgement.

Why not just go there, and read all about him and the controversies too?

I don't think he believes everything he reads, but it seems he has the sense to choose the right things and not go through life blindly as you seem to be doing.

Cat Stevens was mis-quoted on Salman Rushdie

However this is completely true.

Immediately following the 11 September 2001, attacks on the United States, Cat Stevens said:

"I wish to express my heartfelt horror at the indiscriminate terrorist attacks committed against innocent people of the United States yesterday. While it is still not clear who carried out the attack, it must be stated that no right-thinking follower of Islam could possibly condone such an action. The Qur'an equates the murder of one innocent person with the murder of the whole of humanity. We pray for the families of all those who lost their lives in this unthinkable act of violence as well as all those injured; I hope to reflect the feelings of all Muslims and people around the world whose sympathies go out to the victims of this sorrowful moment."

He appeared on videotape on a VH1 pre-show for the October 2001 Concert for New York City, condemning the attacks and singing his song "Peace Train" for the first time in public in more than 20 years, as an a cappalla version. He also donated a portion of his box-set royalties to the Fund for victims' families, and the rest to orphans in underdeveloped countries. During the same year, Yusuf Islam dedicated time and effort in joining the Forum Against Islamophobia and Racism, an organization that worked towards battling misperceptions and acts against others because of their religious beliefs and/or racial identity, after many Muslims reported a backlash against them due in part to the grief caused by the events in the United States on 9-11

Neo33, do you not believe Islam to be a religion because it is just a bunch of mythology like christianity? As you stated, this isn't a place to discuss religion, but you did so after denouncing one of the world's main religions.

I like his music but was troubled by the stance he took on the Rushdie issue (supposedly).

"Morning Has Broken" and "Peace Train" awesome songs.... Especially live!

my 2 cents

Just two of the many excellent songs Cat Stevens has given us.

But he didn't write "Morning has Broken". That was written in in 1931 by Elizabeth Farjeon. I do have "Teaser and the Firecat" lp, and forgot that Rick Wakeman played piano on that track.

Bruce

Neo, what's the deal?

Never heard of him. Who is he?

I don't think I will ever listen to him.

I have not heard anyone you mentioned

About listening to Cat Stevens music... no, thanks. Not in this lifetime

Thanks, but no, thanks. I do not want to listen to Cat Stevens

Let me repeat myself again, never heard of him or any of the songs listed! Lets it be an end to that

I have nothing against Stevens. I just choose not to listen to his music

I have never heard of Cat Stevens

BTW, the statement below is not the reason for my rejection of Cat Stevens

I'm sure that most everyone here isn't particularly interested in your schizophrenic comments... how can you choose to not listen to someone you have never heard of? how can you reject someone you have never heard of?

If you choose/elect to ignore him that's perfectly fine by me and probably most everyone else. If you choose to serve cow paties on a bun, that's ok by me too...what ever floats your boat is fine. What I find disingenuous is the dichotomy of repeating yourself that you have never heard of him.... yet.... you choose to not listen to him. Simply seems to me that those comments can't both be true at the same time.

You certainly seem to have a firm stance against someone you have never heard of...how can that be?

You have never heard of him....we get it. You don't like him....we get it. you dont know who he is....we get it, you reject him (in spite of having never heard of him)...we get it....

Why are you even bothering to post these incongruous comments unless perhaps it's of a trollish nature?

I have heard plenty of him as Yusuf Islam and that is enough. Never heard of him as the artist Cat Stevens. Never heard any of his songs. Never bother to know more about him as the artist. Clear enough for you? If you don't want me to comment about him, then don't quote me anymore. I kept quiet from the post: "...Now, can we please move on?" But you guy kept on. So don't blame me.

I have heard plenty of him as Yusuf Islam and that is enough. Never heard of him as the artist Cat Stevens. Never heard any of his songs. Never bother to know more about him as the artist. Clear enough for you? If you don't want me to comment about him then don't quote me anymore. I kept quiet from the post: "...Now, can we please move on?" But you guy kept on quoting me. So don't blame me.

are you familiar with rob zombie, marylin manson, rage against the machine, deftones, rammstein ... ? less than perfect ideologies/personal lives, yet i'm sure you grit your teeth and manage to enjoy your matrix trilogy in spite of their presence on the soundtracks.

Never heard of rob zombie. I know marylin manson but don't listen to his music. Never heard of rage against the machine, deftones or rammstein. I don't ever pay attention to soundtracks either.

I listen to Elvis Presley, Led Zeppellin, Electric Light Orchestra, Randy VanWarmer, The Cascade, Cheap Trick, Scorpions, Pink Floyds, Pete Townsend, The Police, Supertramp, Rick Springfield, Journey, The Beatles, The Eagles, Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, Ray Charles, Nancy Sinatra, Jazz, and classical.

And I have never heard of any Cat Stevens songs listed.

Do you guys still feel like "attacking" me?

are you familiar with rob zombie, marylin manson, rage against the machine, deftones, rammstein ... ? less than perfect ideologies/personal lives, yet i'm sure you grit your teeth and manage to enjoy your matrix trilogy in spite of their presence on the soundtracks.

Biography of Cat Stevens

One of the finest
exponents in the folk rock and pop genre Yusuf Islam, known the world
over by his stage name Cat Stevens, has been instrumental in influencing
musicians all over the world.

Born on 21st July, 1948, to parents of Greek-Swedish descent, Cat Stevens (birth name - Steven Demetre Georgiou) spend his childhood
in London. His parents had a restaurant which was run by the entire
family. His parents got divorced when he was 8 years old. Even though
his parents were staunch believers of Orthodox and Baptist faiths, they
chose to send him to a Catholic school. Young Stevens took a liking to
the piano at an early age. He taught himself a few chords on the piano
that belonged to his family. When he was 15 years old, and Beatlemania
was spreading all across the world, Stevens bought his first guitar for eight
pounds. His journey in music began when he started writing and playing
songs. Some of the artists that influenced him were the blues legends
Muddy Waters and Leadbelly. Lyrically, Bob Dylan opened a
whole new perspective for Stevens. Musicals also had an impact on him.
He studied at the Hammersmith School of Art, and for a brief moment
considered drawing cartoons as his forte.

Cat Stevens - Early Years

Cat Stevens started performing in pubs and cafes. In the initial stages
of his career, he formed bands, but realized he was better off
performing as a solo artist. When he was 18 years old, Mike Hurst, a
producer, helped him record a demo, which later led to a record deal.
His debut album which featured the hit single 'Matthew and Son' was an
instant chartbuster. He had a loyal fan following in his teens, and
radio channels gave him a fair amount of coverage, by playing his
records. He performed with Jimi Hendrix,
and toured extensively. In the year 1968 he suffered from tuberculosis,
which nearly cost him his life. The days he spent recovering from his
illness changed his perceptions of life. Yoga and meditation became a
part of his regime. He acquainted himself with different religions, and
was spiritually enlightened. In that period he wrote over 30 songs with
renewed vigor, most of which appeared on his albums in the coming years.

Cat Stevens - Rising Popularity

Cat Stevens got back to his song writing and guitar playing, with a
style that his fans were unaccustomed to. Although, Stevens was popular
in the UK, it was a venture into uncharted territory. He struck a deal
with an American record label A&M Records. He started working on an
album 'Mona Bone Jakon', which incorporated a new element to his music.
His music in this
album was more folk influenced as compared to his earlier works. Session
guitarist Alun Davies, who joined Stevens on this album brought a whole
new feel, in terms of harmonies and fingerstyle guitar. The musical
ideas that Alun got into Stevens's sound, was instrumental in forming a
remarkable bond between them. Peter Gabriel too featured on one of the
songs 'Pop Star', which displayed his flute playing abilities. In a time
when record labels preferred signing bands rather than solo artists,
Stevens's album 'Mona Bone Jakon', paved the way for other musicians to
release material as solo artists. The album 'Tea For The Tillerman',
established Cat Stevens as one of the finest singer-songwriter of his
time. The album received rave reviews from critics all over the world.
It attained a cult following in US and UK.

'Tea For The Tillerman' was an album that depicted elements from
different phases of Stevens's life. Even today this release is
considered as one of the finest albums in the folk-rock genre. His
relationships with Patti D'Arbanville and Carly Simon reflected in the
songs he wrote. Over the years, Cat Stevens had a string of successful
albums.

Cat Stevens - Embracing Islam

On a trip to Morocco, where Stevens spent time contemplating and writing
new songs, he heard God's calling: a voice that asked him to sing for
the glory of God. Stevens questioned himself about life, which awakened
his spiritual side. An incident, in 1976, where he nearly drowned,
changed Stevens completely. He spent his time learning about different
religions and in search of God. On his birthday, Stevens's brother David
presented him a copy of the Quran, which the latter had got from
Jerusalem. As soon as Stevens started reading the holy book, he found
peace and solace. He studied the Quran thoroughly, and converted to
Islam in 1977. In 1978, Cat Stevens chose to be known as Yusuf Islam. He
tied the knot with Fauzia Mubarak Ali in 1979, in a mosque in London.

The remarkable journey of this gifted singer-songwriter doesn't end
here. Even today Yusuf Islam continues to write songs and collaborate
with different artists all over the world, conveying messages of peace,
love and harmony through his songs.

I've heard that after joining the "fake" religion, he's having a hard time writing new music.

Cat Stevens - Embracing Islam

Not sure what you imply by "fake" but that is clearly your own religious beliefs and this isn't the place for that here. But actually by this time I think he for the most part retired. However he has been using a lot of his past success to promote peace and contribute to children and charity. His music career would definitely be among some of the most successful.

I think more people know Michael Jackson then Cat Stevens. Between the two, I think MJ is more talented.

Personally I don't care much for Michael Jackson.

But you may try googling this:

Michael Jackson converted to Islam and took name
“Mikail” according to to the Sun News and Newspaper he is now a Muslim
and has Islamic dress. He was influenced by ex-christian Cat Stevens –
now know as Yusuf Islam

Whatever! But I knew you gonna bring this up. And like I said, you people have a tendency of believing in every thing you read.

All I said was to google it, you are the one who is believing false stories about Cat Stevens.

Michael Jackson had musical talent, but was never my taste. Cat Stevens music on the other hand has always been among my favorites. As for which man I would say I had more respect for, it would be Cat Stevens without a doubt.

hmmm Is it me Neo, or is your hero (director wise) causeing you some stress now that he is trying to become a she?

For the record, I do not believe everything I read on the net. Wikipedia like snopes.com is a great site to get to the bottom of most issues though. They seem to both be more correct a LOT more than rumors or what the rest of the press puts out. And yes, they are on the net.. go figure??????

Below is some good reading to what you associate yourself with.... Neo33... Perhaps maybe some connection, you can tell us? I am not saying your a cross dresser or you, yourself, have indeed crossed over from a man to a woman, but you seem to want to identify yourself to this movie and the directors too. So what does that tell us about you?

It's a fair question, because you associate us "You People" with Cat Stevens (being fans) a certain way as well? I am pretty much OK with Cat.... He has proven, over time, in his willingness to help his fellow man in $$ and with good causes. Yusuf being a Muslim or whatever he chooses to follow, seems to be doing more good than bad.. The music will surely live on without you or I doing anything. At the time.. it was that good. And some say still is. (Look at continued royalties to prove this out too.)

Matrix co-director Larry Wachowski
has often told of his affection towards his female characteristics, and
wanting to be one as well. It is now that Larry Wachowski, brother
of Andy Wachowski is showing his inner female as he has been photographed throughout Los Angeles dressed from head to toe as a woman.

larryoriginal.jpglarrymatrix.jpgLarry Wachowski

The Wachowski Bros. are notorious for the privacy and their reluctance to the press, so its a big step with this half of The Matrix and Speed Racer
duo to show his true colors. No word as to how far the talented
director will take the change, if to include gender transformation, but
it does show an added confidence the man has now.

The Wachowski Bros. currently have Ninja Assassin as their latest production. “Assassin” is being directed by V for Vendetta director James McTeigue. The directors have no films lined up as of yet for their follow up to Speed Racer