Anyone using subs with Belle's?

wpines

Yes, and to me, it's a very significant improvement.

For music, I'm running a Paradigm PS1000. After a lot of experientation, I'm running a full range signal to both the Belle's and the sub with the sub's crossover at 100hz. The sub output level is quite low but I vary it a bit based on source material.

For HT, I send a full range signal to the Belles and I have a Klipsch SW-12 feeding off the LFE channel crossing over at 60hz.

To be honest, individual tastes and rooms vary so much I doubt this kind of feedback is of much use but I expect most would agree that Belles (and LaScalas) benefit greatly from a little help on the low end.

Stereo only. When I was running Belles,as my main speakers, I ran them full-range with REL subs starting their roll off from 35 Hz. By the time the subs reached around 50Hz, they were outputting very little signal and thus didn't interfere with the bass output from the Belles.

I had Belles and used a Rel Strata III. I performed the 'Rel Crossover Procedure' which is all by Ear and Room. My crossover point was at 28hz. This is quite common for Rel Users. The Crossover point is always much lower than you would ever think. But that is how it works if you do it by Ear.

• 1 month later...

Your best bet is to get some rudimentary testing equipment. 1) berhinger ECM8000 2) A simple mic preamp 3) a computer that has software for measuring. Then you can see exactly where it rolls off and more easily integrate a sub. I had a sub with my belles but I found I just didn't like it even if it did give more low end.YMMV.

Where are you crossing them over for music (not HT)?

Not everyone may agree, but I believe that a system should be set up to give flat/accurate response. That way, you'll get the sound the musician or the movie director had in mind when he produced his work. Settings for music or movie listening should be the same, unless you want more boom in your movies than the director did.

As for setting up the sub, it's a good idea to begin by testing your speakers without a sub, using a test CD/DVD and a sound level (SPL) meter to see what its actual bass response is in your room, which may be quite different from published specs. Then you'll see where the speakers need the help of the sub.

When I tested my La Scalas, I found they started to roll off at around 100Hz and by 50Hz there was not much output. Since the sub also rolls off gradually at its top end, it makes sense to have a certain amount of overlap between the sub and main speakers so you don't get a dip in output between where one rolls off and the other picks up.

After a lot of listening and testing, I found I got the most natural and realistic sound with the sub (a Paradigm PW-2100, 10" driver, 500W amp) set to cut off at 150Hz. I listen to all kinds of music and even solo acoustic guitar and spoken voice benefits from the help of the sub.

The Belles are slightly different from La Scalas, but in any case, testing your system in your room is better than depending on specs that were obtained somewhere else, probably with very different electronics from the ones you're using.

BTW, I 'm using Belles for centre and rear centre in my system.

I got an Outlaw LFM Compact (10" driver) back at the first of the year. It was intended for the HT, but didn't have a long enought coax at the time. So, I threw it inline with line level to the Belles.

I tried it mainly 60-100 but ended up keeping no higher than 60 with what would be considered on the forum as a low volume level. That is my preference as I am not a HUGE bass hog, and my room is small.

Now have it on LFE, does great for movies, and really don't miss it for 2 channel.

So, what did I say? I enjoy Belles even without a sub.