Pre Amps

wheels1

Hi all....Love listening to tunes and now running a Yamaha RX-V495 surround sound and either I can't adjust it right because it sounds nothing like my Luxman R-115 hooked to sound dynamic concert 500 speakers. I'll leave the Yamaha for mama.....Picked up a Sansui Qrx 5500A and still have the Luxman...will hookup the Sansui to the sound dynamics.....My Question is I've read and heard people say a pre amp can make the music even richer and was wondering which if any pre amp would sound the best for what I have? Would there be better speakers I shoud consider....I'm into classic rock and roll. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated....Wheels1

PS.....I'm from the 70's if that helps....lol

Sorry, can't help with the Yammy setup.

Sounds like you've got a winner with the Luxman or Sansui either. If you're happy with the sound I sure wouldn't recommend throwing a preamp in the mix, unless you were really interested in tubes. For classic rock, I don't think tubes would offer much bang for the buck.

I think your money to improve your system would be best spent on Klipsch speakers. Either Cornwalls or (I've had an attack of amnesia). Klipsch has another speaker with a 15 inch woofer in more of a tower configuration. I'd lean toward the Cornwalls unless WAF necessitated another choice.

If you've got the corners, go for Khorns. Nothing else really sounds like them. For a floor standing speaker, I personally prefer the horn loaded sound of the LaScalas, which some think are bass shy. The CW's do dig deeper. If you prefer the sound of the direct radiated bass, which I think the SD 500's are, you may really like the CW;s.

I'm from the 70's if that helps

Hey, I come from the 70's too!! [:P]

Classic rock recipe on the cheap that is tried and true:

1. Used Klipsch speakers. Great deals out there right now.

2. Mid-70's solid state receivers, amps and preamps. Marantz and Harmon Kardon come to mind. [;)]

3. Used cd player and/or used turntable.

4. If you're really serious about your live classic rock, get a big a$$ subwoofer.

Your budget will dictate which speakers to look for. They all do well for classic rock IMO.

I think your money to improve your system would be best spent on Klipsch speakers. Either Cornwalls or (I've had an attack of amnesia). Klipsch has another speaker with a 15 inch woofer in more of a tower configuration. I'd lean toward the Cornwalls unless WAF necessitated another choice.

Chorus IIs come to mind, and have a bit more WAF. Plus, I think they sound better than Cornwalls, with tighter bass. [;)]

If you gotta have a pre amp - you are on the right track for 2 channel listening- What is your budget? FIrst find a used Peach preamp for 800-1000. then find a nice tube amp if you have the cash. If not find a used Macintosh solid state power amp for about 500-800. Sounds great with the Peach and you will never lose a dime on one. Find yourself a used set of K horns for about 1500-1800. Pair this with a Cambridge CD player- 300 and up or a tube jolida CD for about 550 used- there is one on AG right now for 550. You can also go with Lascalas instead of k horns and cut your speaker bill in 1/2. The important thing is to get a peach preamp now cause they ain't making any more of them.So for around 3000-4000 you have a 70s rock system that will kill anything at 2 or 3 times that price. Like DD siad the speakers make the most difference immediately in an up grade. This should be enough information to head you down the road to klipsch addiction and financial ruin.

Meet the president of the sceond mortage club. Last year I dropped north of 10 grand buying sutff from this forum. I did not have the money to spend- had to sell stuff to pay for it. My other interests sufered- I stopped eating out- I bought cheap beer and booze instead of the good stuff- no cool stuff for my cars- ect -ect. But now- the stuff is all paid for and I am out from under the debt. My point is this- make a plan-dont buy stuff that you will want to upgrade in 6 months. Start with a great set of klipsch speakers and work from there. When the stuff is paid for- it is yours- will last pretty much forever. You sound like you are infected with the bug. Welcome- We will be happy to get you into trouble .Enjoy

Chorus IIs come to mind, and have a bit more WAF. Plus, I think they sound better than Cornwalls, with tighter bass. Wink

Chorus IIs just seem to never disapoint.

Mine are black so they are my "road speaker" for any party For Audio Karma or the like enthusiast show.

Chorus benifit greatly from new capacitors! origonal networks are nice but high grade caps make the Chorus II a top5 Kipsch speaker of all time.

James- you are absolutely correct- guilty as charged.I bought a full reference HT system- the high end- and dumped it for Heritage once I heard a set of Cornwalls. I still have the Cornwalls for surround duty and an occasional trip back to 2 channel duty for some tracks. I never really lost money which is the great thing about klipsch over the other brands. I would urge anyone needing 2 ch components to step back and buy the best heritage stuff that they can afford- Cornwalls- LS or K horns IMHO- they are all fantastic and upgrade proof. I am extermely happy with all of my heritage stuff and hav no plans to change anything except maybe som new wood horns and crossovers.

You are right- I sold stuff that i had less than a month

I think your money to improve your system would be best spent on Klipsch speakers. Either Cornwalls or

Yes, forget the preamp, some Klipsch and the Luxman sound like they would work out nicely. I had a Sound Dynamics speaker, they are good but need more horse power than you have, the Klipsch will rock using the gear you already own.

Thanx, Russ