Second class citizens at grade school?

JL Sargent

Hey twisted crank, it's home of the marginally stable not stabile, unless I'm missing something. I went to class and stayed out of the petty BS of High School politics. We had 1100 kids per grade, never had a problem and I was a total geek. I was off campus at lunch, doesn't sound like I missed much.

Thanx, Russ

Hey twisted crank, it's home of the marginally stable not stabile, unless I'm missing something. I went to class and stayed out of the petty BS of High School politics. We had 1100 kids per grade, never had a problem and I was a total geek. I was off campus at lunch, doesn't sound like I missed much.

Thanx, Russ

Russ,

Enjoy your keyboard.

Roger

I was stabbed at school and never saw the circus. What a bunch of c--p. My school taught social class envy and everybody pretty much hated everybody.

I wold tell my kids that there were child molesters at the circus- Send them to read a good book at the library. Give the kid the money to spend on something useful. Screw the school and their 3.00[8o|] circus.

We homeschooled all three of our kids. They didn't miss anything by not attending public prisons for kids.

At that time, when my mother graduated High School and she started working at a bank, she became the youngest loan officer ever in the state of Ohio, male or female, prior to becoming a teacher with a Phd in Education and a Masters in Guidence Counciling. My dads background was as a History teacher, prior to being a Principle, then Superintendent. So, I would have to say I was fortunate to have minds at home that could affect me in a major way.

The two main problems I see with Home Schooling is Most parents these days haven't got a clue as to what being a parent is supposed to be as to even simple involvement with or disiplin of their child, and what about a couple who has an exceptionally bright child? You do learn alot by being exposed to teachers (the few) who are good at their specialized area that you can bounce thoughts off of or even argue or get challenged to a point that you research obscure concepts.

On the down side, alot of public teachers actually get put off and I believe are jealous of an exceptually gifted child and that mind is left to stagnate, and become negative or anti-social. [A]

Roger

Roger

Yes, public school can have its problems, but home schooling has its own set of worrys and they are many.

First and foremost its the #1 crutch for crystal meth addiction. Want to sit around the house and do meth all day every day with 3 young kids at home? Just let your school system know your home schooling. Now that's a prison!!!

What about negotiating and teamwork skills acquired at school. There is also the home schooler off to college syndrome. Woo who, its major party time!

I remember high school being some of the best times of my like so I would argue that home schoolers are certainly missing out on those.

Also, whatever glitches the homeschool teacher has, the children can have those same deficiencies. One real evident problem is with the mispronunciation of words. At public or private school the student has many different teachers throughout the years and no one person repeating bad habits.

Ditto on homeschooling our kids and not thinking they missed anything positive. I also agree there's a somewhat hidden agenda to the public school system.

I haven't been around the forum very long so I love these off-topic threads as it's a way to get to know you guys.

Yes, public school can have its problems, but home schooling has its own set of worrys and they are many.

I feel just the opposite. I think the worries are fewer than in a public school.

First and foremost its the #1 crutch for crystal meth addiction. Want to sit around the house and do meth all day every day with 3 young kids at home? Just let your school system know your home schooling. Now that's a prison!!!

Sorry I dont follow the link between homeschooling and meth addiction. That is a poor example of the type of parent that would be homeschooling. I dont follow your logic.

What about negotiating and teamwork skills acquired at school. There is also the home schooler off to college syndrome. Woo who, its major party time!

Again no direct link to homeschooling and the "need" to party because I'm "free".

I remember high school being some of the best times of my like so I would argue that home schoolers are certainly missing out on those.

Also, whatever glitches the homeschool teacher has, the children can have those same deficiencies. One real evident problem is with the mispronunciation of words. At public or private school the student has many different teachers throughout the years and no one person repeating bad habits.

It is no different than a kid being pushed through the system that cant read in a public school. Well the difference would be that the kid probably had a minimum of five teachers each high school year. If a student is homeschooled he/she is still subject to state testing and requirements.

Lets see if I can clear some of the points.

People hooked on Crystal Meth choose to homeschool. Its that simple. Why, you might ask. Because homeschoolers are not as accountable.

Party free thing is from personal experience! You can't recognise how that might happen? Wake up.

State testing and requirements? Usually a low standard across the board. Honestly, we are striving for much more here in our small public school. Each teacher brings special talents to the classroom. Thats just not the case with Mom or Dad.

For reference a family member works with abused kids, DHR, the Sheriff's Dept, and the County Prosecutors Office.

OK seriously, do you think anybody hooked on meth is really homeschooling? Just because they choose to not send their children to school doesnt mean they are being schooled. If a kid wants to party they are going to party regardless of homeschooling or not. My parents were harder on me than any of my friend's parents but that didnt make me totally out of control when I went away to college. Did it teach me discipline, responsibilty, and accountabilty? Yes. There are many more factors involved than to just make a blanket statement that public schooling is more beneficial than homeschooling. Yes I was homeschooled for about 3 years, I went on to college and secured a really nice job in the medical field. I had a girlfriend that went to public school so I was able to do many of the normal high school activities through her. I do not feel I missed out on anything by being homeschooled other than dealing with high school childish BS. Glad I missed that.

I don't think they are..... I know it. If your hooked on illegal drugs or a child abuser what would you do? Send your child to school everyday for inspection/questions or keep them at home under your controlling watchful eye? These are FACTS, not opinions. As I stated, there are problems associated with every educational path you can take. Do some volunteer work with the Dept. of Human Resources in your area. I think you will have an eye opening experience. I'm sorry, but homeschooling is not always a good thing. Glad it worked out for you, but there are those that use it for evil.

For reference a family member works with abused kids, DHR, the Sheriff's Dept, and the County Prosecutors Office

Which means they ONLY see the hard cases, and have no idea of the many hardworking parents who have the best interests of their children in mind. The same parents who already pay taxes which go to support public schools, and then spend more of their own money to buy the books, pay for supplies, fieldtrips, tutors for the things they might need help with. We made sacrifices in many areas so we could do what we wanted and needed to be able to teach our kids. They all finished college, with some level of honors. You can't realistically lump ALL home school parents into the drug user camp.

It cuts both ways, and as you say, there are good and bad teaches and good and bad parents. I've only personally known one (1) family over the past 30 years who shouldn't have taught their own kids. They weren't drug users or abusers, they just had to many things going on in their lives and couldn't do it and the kids suffered for it and were rude, social misfits.

No matter how well intentioned teaches are, it is a FACT that you only need about three hours a day in a homeschool environment to match or surpass what takes 6-8 hours in a publc school (could probably add parochial schools in there as well). Most schooling is busy work and the ones who get all the attention are the ones who are excelling or the ones causing trouble.

I can rant longer than anyone on this subject! The public school system is BROKEN and it is not the state's responsibility to teach. Home schooling is not for everyone, but the system isn't either. If your local schools work, praise God. Just don't label the majority of homeschool families as broken and drug users/abusers.

My wife worked with Marshall Fritz, the late founder of the Alliance for Separation of School and State. Marshall was a good friend of ours, and perusing the Alliance's web site you will find a LOT of support for his message.

http://www.schoolandstate.org/home.htm

You can't realistically lump ALL home school parents into the drug user camp.

I don't think anybody has done that. There are some excellent homeschooling parents. My point was simply there are some bad ones.

It cuts both ways, and as you say, there are good and bad teaches and good and bad parents.

Yes, thats exactly the point I was making.

The public school system is BROKEN and it is not the state's responsibility to teach.

Oh yes it is. That's why your paying taxes for it, remember? The parents better be helping too IMHO, but the state has accepted that responsibility and is charging you money for it.

Just don't label the majority of homeschool families as broken and drug users/abusers.

Oh quite the contrary. I believe most homeschooling parents do a great job. As previously quoted by you however, some do not.

If only all parents cared as much about their kids education as we seem to. Really it probably boils down to that IMHO. I'm involved with my kids education. We work on it everyday. We read almost every night. I think all parents should make it a priority regardless of your childs educational path.