Vancouver 2010 Olympic Opening Ceremony

Islander

It was a great show, on a smaller scale than the Beijing show, but really good in its way. Lots of high points, k.d. lang singing Hallelujah, Rick Hansen, Nancy Greene, Steve Nash and Wayne Gretzky with the torch, Romeo Dallaire, Donald Sutherland, Anne Murray and Julie Payette (the 2-time astronaut) with the flag, the Northern Lights effects, the whales crossing the floor and spouting, the Native dancers from tribes from coast to coast to coast, and lots more, even a poet with a beret and a beard describing what it means to be Canadian.

It was sad to hear about the Georgian luger losing his life earlier in the day, and mention was made of that tragedy a number of times. A minute of silence was held in his memory, and the Georgian team got a standing ovation when they entered the arena.

K.D. Lang sang great (really great) but she looked a little too much like Wayne Newton for me. She is such a great talent but from the viewpoint of a regular guy she was just looking a little too butch for me. Anyway, Gretzky was a good choice, I would have liked the hand off of the torch to be from Luc Robitaille but, that's just me.............

Thanx, Russ

P.S. I just remembered that Luc is a US citizen now, no way they would let him hold a torch now!

K.D. Lang sang great (really great) but she looked a little too much like Wayne Newton for me.

You're right, she really did look like Wayne Newton. Hey, if it makes her happy, why not? It's unusual, but not annoying or tasteless, like some singers.

You're right, she really did look like Wayne Newton. Hey, if it makes her happy, why not? It's unusual, but not annoying or tasteless, like some singers.

No, I'm OK with her sexual orientation. I know her appearance will attract a certain segment of the population but it will also turn off a certain segment of the population. I just didn't like it. What I really hate is guys that appear on stage with a ripped tee shirt and dirty jeans. It makes me feel like they really don't care that I just spent 100 bucks on a pair of tickets and made the effort to go to the show. I just feel as if it is a small insult to the audience not to at least try to look nice (not kd, she took care to appear the way she was) . I think kd was dressing the way she wanted to, I just didn't care for it. She sure gave an outstanding performance, as always.

Thanx, Russ

I dig the native theme.

That's kind of a British Columbia thing. There are probably more natives in this province than the others, and many of those First Nations never signed any treaties with the Europeans. It may be because there were very few Europeans here until about 150 years ago, unlike eastern Canada, where they've lived in large numbers for over 400 years. There are First Nations representatives at most political and cultural events here.

It seems as though a lot of the competitors had voiced concern over the Luge. It has been stated that it is the "fastest in the world".

Yes, the speeds are higher than at any previous track, but even so, it shouldn't be possible to fly off the track, even if they have to make it like a waterpark tube. The wall in that turn will be made higher and the snow will be re-contoured to prevent anything similar happening again. The accident has been blamed on the competitor's error, on the wrong way he entered the fastest turn and lost control, but the error should not have cost him his life.