First Klipsch Heritage Advice

csferry

I'm about to become the proud papa of my first pair of Heritage speakers. Now I just have to decide which ones. There's a pair of perfect condition oak Heresys available for $275 and a pair of good condition Forte II's for $500 (both pairs all original).

I know that I would take the Fortes all things being equal, but is it worth the price difference? That is, I understand the Fortes are better, but by how much?

I have a small listening area--nothing bigger than the Fortes would work. I have a Blueberry Extreme preamp and a Sophia Electric EL34 amp, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your help! I look forward to getting into some listening with these.

Scott

Forte II would be preffered over Forte I or Heresey.

I do not know about the Sophia amp but I owned a BB for a couple or 3 years. Very nice preamp.

Of course I have a big watt PP tube predisposition.

Forte like the Chorus did not have the robust crosover network found in the high line Heritage speakers.

My crossovers were rebuilt by Dean which was a very significant improvmewnt in realism. Due to the age of the capacitors any Forte or Chorus needs to be at least recapped to reach the speakers potential. Old capacitors sound like you have a veil or compression on the music.

A fun decision to make.

Rick

• Moderators

IMO, $500 for Forte IIs is a good price. We own both....hands down the Forte IIs are the better. There is a marked difference between the two. There are numerous threads on this forum regarding Forte IIs. We have two pair of Forte IIs and have not done anything to them yet (owned them for about three years). Although we would eventually like to do some "upgrading" to them the sound just fine the way they are right now.

I understand a few upgrades to the Forte IIs would improve the overall quality....but it's not something we feel takes priority.

Please let us know which ones you choose.

BTW, welcome to the forum. We hope you stay around, this is a great place to hang out!

My ears, my stuff, my room...if you have to choose get the Forte IIs. I have owned both for a short time, sold both but wish I had kept the Fortes. I liked them better than the Chorus IIs, Heresy and Quartets but had I an emotional attachment to the C IIs and Qs as they were my first.

• Moderators

For the price, buy both pairs.

After living with them a while, make your decision and sell the ones you can live without.

Great advice....I say go for it! Then you can decide for yourself....be sure to let us know what you think!

Again, welcome to the forum!

FOR SURE, get the heresy's. Fortes WERE considered heritage for about four years then not considered heritage. BUT heresys are. Nice price too ; )

I've got two pair of Forte IIs, a pair of Heresy and a pair of Cornwalls. I don't care which ones are called Heritage. Its a name. Of the three right now I'd take my Cornwalls but they have fresh caps so I'll have to wait until I get the crossovers redone in my Forte IIs to make a final decision. I care about the sound not the name.

I've never had fortes and was not trying to offend anyone, sorry it did sound a bit rude after I read it again. I had just been reading the post "klipsch speakers suck" where they spoke of the fortes history. I agree whatever sounds better IS better. Some people are particular about the name though, thats why a pair of jeans can cost in the hundreds (not any I own)

Forte and Forte II's are part of the Klipsch Heritage series. From the Forte introduction to the last run of Forte II was well over a 12 year run. My Forte II's date back to 1992. Someone and I cannot remember who on this forum attended a Klipsch reunion and asked why the Forte II was not re-released as part of the Heritage series. The answer was that the Forte II does not fit into Klipsch's current go to market strategy. MHO is that they are too expensive to build today and would canabilize the Cornwall III market. At $1,000.00 a pair in 1992, they would probably need to sell for at least $1200.00 a piece today. Right around the price point of the Cornwall III.

The Hersey line, or any other Heritage product is no more so than the Forte series.

John

Heritage pretty much refers to the continous production of the Klipschorn, followed by the Heresy, then the LaScala, the Belle Klipsch and the Cornwall, all introduced, and in continous production since 1965 or earlier as applicable, and still in production today. The reason the Forte's, Chorus, etc are not refererred to as "Heritage" is that they were/are speakers that "followed" Paul Klipsch's classic Heritage designs. The "Heritage", other than the Belle Klipsch, have never been "replaced" or discontinued. The Forte, Chorus, Academy, etc, were replaced by other product lines such as the RF series, etc.

I would get the Hereseys given those 2 choices- Not to throw a wrench in the gears but-have you considered Cornwalls- Belles- Lascallas- or K horns??? You have some pretty serious components there and you may want to give consideration to the upper end of the line. My 2 cents worth. good luck with your decision.

I would get the Hereseys given those 2 choices- Not to throw a wrench in the gears but-have you considered Cornwalls- Belles- Lascallas- or K horns??? You have some pretty serious components there and you may want to give consideration to the upper end of the line. My 2 cents worth. good luck with your decision.

I would love to get Cornwalls or La Scalas (the DLP would never allow K-Horns in her home). The problem is I just moved to a smaller place and couldn't fit anything that large. When I move, though, I'll be all over them. I'm also going to be auditioning some other speakers, such as some Tekton OB4.5 which I know some people on here like (at least the standard 4.5 version), but I thought it was time to get some Klipsches considering the price.

I'm leaning Forte II's right now, but may very well bring both home.

Also, sorry for the contentious nature of calling Fortes "Heritage," but thanks for the knowledge.

I have Forte II's and Cornwalls in seperate rooms. Have heard the Heresy's but never owned. I was about to say bigger is better but there are days when I love sitting with the Forte II's vs. the Cornwalls. Then again that depends on what music I am playing, the amplifier, the room, etc., etc, etc..

I will own La Scalas and Khorns at some point but chances are I will keep them all. Answer, like others have said, buy them both.