Tube Harvest Time

fini

You old timers might remember (then again, you might not, given that you are old) that once upon a time I bought a pallet of old test equipment. You know, HP thingamajigs and oscillators 'n' stuff. These things were stuffed with (God knew what flavor) vacuum tubes, and "pulling" them was my motivation. Maybe I'd find something I could use, or if in plentiful quantity, sell. Our buddy forum Clipped & Shorn (who in real life is a dear dear friend, mentor and teacher) convinced me I should hang onto them as-is, or at least strip out more than just the tubes, as these things (generally) were built using very high-quality parts. Sure, I might have been able to make an amp using 75% recycled parts (and that indeed would have been really cool), but it really began to look highly unlikely. I move (in the electronics arena) at a snail's pace, and I despirately needed some elbow room in my garage, SO...

I pulled tubes today. Wow, what a treasure hunt! In one old HP oscilloscope I found a dozen 6DJ8s! I've pulled a lot of 12AU7s, 12AX7s, 12AT7s...quite a haul! Now I am considering pulling the transformers as well. I doubt the pieces have much value aside from the occasional part. This, though, should serve as a "heads-up" for all you scroungers (you know who you are!): There might be something worthwhile in those old electronics, even if they're not HiFis!

I think you need to send me a couple 12AX7s "for test purposes only." I'll make sure they don't blow up and catch your house on fire or damage your equipment.[:P]

Edit: BTW - I'm sure the wife will be THRILLED that you're getting rid of all those bulky tubes from the garage!!

Just when I was looking for some of those glowing glass thingies. If you are a mind to clean out that place and need a place to send them I will offer what reciprocal agreement you might have in mind. I would really like to roll through a few different varieties in my Peach, Tercel and Jolida 100.

Gartenman (you got me into this), guys, help a feeble mind out here what different ones will fit my sockets?

I'll leave to last line out for bait.....

I am opening up the Jolida and Peach to take a peak as to what is in there now.

Just when I was looking for some of those glowing glass thingies. If you are a mind to clean out that place and need a place to send them I will offer what reciprocal agreement you might have in mind. I would really like to roll through a few different varieties in my Peach, Tercel and Jolida 100.

Gartenman (you got me into this), guys, help a feeble mind out here what different ones will fit my sockets?

I'll leave to last line out for bait.....

I am opening up the Jolida and Peach to take a peak as to what is in there now.

edit:

After speaking with my coach, I am currently searching for some nice (not extravagant) 12AT7s (2 each) for the Jolida and 6922s (3 each) for the peach.

The G-Man sure fixed me up with some really sweet tubes. I changed out the tubes in the VRD and the Peach, only listened for about an hour, but, clearer, more detailed, better soundstage. I guess I was one of the dis-belivers, if you get the good ones, it is well worth the money.

Roll on.

cb

I pulled tubes today. Wow, what a treasure hunt! In one old HP oscilloscope I found a dozen 6DJ8s!

Those could be Amperex. It's what I put in my Merlin (HP branded...) and it is GREAT! (If you want to sell a few, let me know)

Bruce

I've found tons of tubes in old organs (not so much old organs in tubes). I am drowning in 12AU7s, so if anyone would like a few of those, as-is, let me know. They're Baldwin brand, made in Japan.

I'm not sure I trust my tube tester (Hickok 600A) as it is. I should get it callibrated if I want to get serious about these tubes.

Today I might bust into what I expect to be the mother lode of tubes, a big ol' tone generator (I think that's what it is). I've gotta find it first...[;)]

The G-Man sure fixed me up with some really sweet tubes. I changed out the tubes in the VRD and the Peach, only listened for about an hour, but, clearer, more detailed, better soundstage. I guess I was one of the dis-belivers, if you get the good ones, it is well worth the money.

Roll on.

cb

It's truly been a pleasure helping you out. You are a true gentleman! They'll only sound better as they age like a fine wine! Now if we can find some RCA 6201s for your CD player you'll be set!

Ya I love the blackplates' there was a bugle boy in there as well.

Kinda makes me wish I had something other than the Mesa-boogie to use them in.

if you really need a place to put some extra RCA blackplates you can put them in my:

'59 Fender Bassman

'63 Fender Vibroverb

'69 Fender Vibro Champ

they all love 'em....

If you run across any old Tektronics o'scopes (the ones that you find next to dumpster and weigh about 50 pounds and very old fashioned), inside other than tubes, you will find ceramic standoffs of various lengths. The solder locations on top of the standoffs are silver. For the DIY these make great internal wiring posts in amps and preamps.