What would you do?

levrac13

New member here who recently purchased a pair of Chorus II's. I currently am using a Threshold 100 watt class A amp with a Forte pre. Sources are a CAL Icon cd player and a Rega P3 with a Dynavector high ouput mc cartridge (don't recall the model). My problem is that when playing vinyl it is too loud. The preamp has a volume control with steps, first step is too low and at the second step it is too loud for background music. I am interested in using tubes just because of everything I've read. What would be your suggestions about what to change, cartridge, preamp or amp? My brother has a dynaco 35 integrated amp that he has offered that will need some work but I wonder if I would be better off going ahead and moving to an SET. Any recommendations for particular SET's to use especially with vinyl. Thanks for any information and suggestions.

• 6 years later...

Welcome to the forum! 

I don't like stepped potentiometers on preamps for this exact reason. Dynavector is still around, but not sure about Forte Audio. Hopefully Dynavector can help you out. 

I was checking out those Threshold amps. Beasts! Stasis 7 is 64 LBS.  :)  Is there a tube preamp you can feed the Threshold amp with that has a more adjustable phono stage? That's where I'd spend coin.

There is almost never any good reason to run a High Output MC cartridge through a phono preamplifier set to "MC".  Find the switch that controls your phono input setting (might be hidden on the back panel or even as a DIP switch on an internal circuit board) and switch it to "MM".  This should give you a bit more breathing room with your master volume control.  Good luck!

• Like 2

I have a Rega P3 with a Grace tonearm and using an Ortofon High Output 150 MC using a David Hafler 110 preamp and I have the DH 101 that has two Phono inputs could make one input MC and one MM. My advise? Get a vintage preamp? A High Out MC was created so it doesn't matter what is plugged into the regular MM Phono a MM or a High Output MC