Just another day in the big city

winchester21

Here are my two experiences with "watching the hood"...I belonged to Neighborhood Watch on my block in the French Quarter. It was an interested group of neighbors and we had really tried to look out for each other.

A few years ago in my current neighborhood I saw some guys loading furniture into the back of a van that had been painted over. I walked over and rang the bell of my neighbor. Did she know men were moving furniture out of the back of her house into an unmarked van? She did, and she was barely civil to me. She made it very apparent that I wasn't minding my business. I later heard from another neighbor who had had professional dealings with her and she was a (synonym for female dog).

My takeaway from this is that if people cocoon and don't want to know their neighbors, they shouldn't be surprised when the poop hits the prop. It also helps if you and your neighbors are alike in cultural and educational levels. In my old small town neighborhood, my across street neighbors made a great first impression-they were white trash through and through. They wondered why I wasn't real concerned when their house was burgaled. BTW, so was mine, and the house next door,eventaully, but under different circumstances, and neighborhood vigilance would not have prevented it. What really made a diffrence in that neighborhood was the closing of three flophouse motels about 6 blocks away and consquent vamoosing of the low-lifes.

I look at my News Feed about Local stuff each day. Yesterday their was an article about Busting a Prostitution Ring. I google the Address and WOW..............

It is directly behind my back yard and just down the street.................

When I was working in Toronto, I commented to one of the older secretaries that there seemed to be a number of hookers working Bloor Street, just a few blocks away. She replied that she remembered those same women from when they were little girls playing on the street in front of her house. Everybody makes choices...

THEY CAUGHT THE RAPIST POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 hour standoff down in Georga- too bad he did not go down in a shootout.. This guy is ONE MONTH out of jail!!!!! Armed robbery- several counts- all types of violent assaults on women and cops- mile long rap sheet as predicted- What the *&& is this thug doing out of jail???????????

Another barrage of news trucks camped out around our house all weekend. Wife is really sick of this whole mess.

Not to worry- He will get 3 hots and a cot. I bet he is out with an ankle monitor bracelet in less than 6 months. That will teach him!!!!

THEY CAUGHT THE RAPIST POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 hour standoff down in Georga- too bad he did not go down in a shootout.. This guy is ONE MONTH out of jail!!!!! Armed robbery- several counts- all types of violent assaults on women and cops- mile long rap sheet as predicted- What the *&& is this thug doing out of jail???????????

Another barrage of news trucks camped out around our house all weekend. Wife is really sick of this whole mess.

Not to worry- He will get 3 hots and a cot. I bet he is out with an ankle monitor bracelet in less than 6 months. That will teach him!!!!

And after 6 months, there ARE real forms of justice available to every American. You just gotta do what you should do.

Too close for comfort !

Talking about too close for comfort!

Anybody remember the so-called "D.C. Sniper"?

They shot at a women at a Michael's craft store that is just across the street from my place! She was one of the survivors. Luckily, I was out of town that day, but my neighbor across the street was telling me about all the cops, news trucks, helicopters and so forth that was just MOBBING this area!

Than a few days later, at the next exit just south of here, was where that guy driving back home to Philly from a business trip was shot while stopping to get gas for his car! I still, to this day, feel for his family.

And then a week later, I was with one of my friends, taking a youth group for a day at Kings Dominion. Lo and behold, another sniper shooting at a Ponderosa just down the road a few miles from the amusement park that night (that was the third surivor). Again, all the helicoptors and what not. The folks running the park locked the thing down - we could not even leave the park and was there pretty much all night until given an all clear to leave. Of course, they pretty much shut down I-95, Rt. 1 and Rt. 301 to look for the shooters! Traffic was backed up for MILES. I had about a dozen teenage boys with us that night and the last thing I needed was something to happen to any of them! It was fun trying to contact all the parents and trying to reassure them that thier kid was safe and we were going to try to leave as soon as it was possible.

I dreaded every morning to look at the paper during that time to only hear yet about another shooting. I was going to gas stations way out of the way, off the beaten path, to get gas, only to try to position myself between the car and the concrete pillar while filling up. At least at the time, I could go on base to eat lunch - like the snipers was going to get past THAT security!

I was so happy when I finally saw that paper with the big bold, huge headline "ARRESTS MADE IN SNIPER SHOOTINGS!!!"

And just this past year, there was a bit of celebration when the guy finally got the needle. To bad they couldn't nighty-night the other, but the Supreme Court did rule no death penalties for anyone under 18. Well, at least he'll be seeing bars for the rest of his life, with no chance of parol.

Still will not bring back those 10 unfortunate souls or ease the life of those 3 survivors who were at the right place at the wrong time, doing such hideous things such as pumping gas, mowing lawn, waiting for bus, walking across street, resting on bench, going to dinner, shopping, preparing for bus route, going to school, etc.

BTW, Winchester - glad to hear they caught that bastard! Agree with you - to bad the crops could not have dropped him in a shootout. Society would be much better without such lowlifes polluting the gene pool.

Great to hear they got him!!!! Hopefully he will get some of his own medicne in prison!!!

• Moderators

Glad they caught him.

If you were to look at the rap sheets of most of the people like this most are very long, so in many cases it's the same people over and over committing crimes. If the Judges would keep them in jail in the first place crime would drop a certain percentage very quickly, sometimes I think they let them out so they have job security and a never ending supply of criminals.

I don't mean keep them in jail for minor things but after a certain point keep them there. How many times have you heard someone drunk has an accident and you hear they had 3-4-5 DWI arrests before, take away there drivers license, do not give them another chance to kill someone, it's not rocket science.

In Canada, a person who commits a number of serious crimes can be designated a "dangerous offender", meaning they'll be detained indefinitely, regardless of their sentence.

From Wiki:

The purpose of the legislation is to detain offenders who are deemed too dangerous to be released into society because of their violent tendencies, but whose sentences would not necessarily keep them incarcerated under other legislation, such as the Correctional and Conditional Release Act. Under subsection 761(1) of the Criminal Code, the National Parole Board is required to review the case of an offender with a dangerous offender label after seven years, and parole may be granted as circumstances warrant, but the offender would remain under supervision indefinitely. After the initial review, the Parole Board must conduct subsequent reviews every two years.[2] According to Corrections Canada, on average 24 dangerous offenders are admitted to the Canadian prison system each year. Paul Bernardo is one well-known dangerous offender.

However, this approach is not presently legal in the US. According to Wiki:

The "dangerous offender" approach is unconstitutional in the United States where a person convicted of a crime must be released from criminal incarceration at end of sentence.