New surrounds...does it ever end?

Youthman

• Moderators

I knew when I purchased the RS-35's for side surround duty that I would always be curious how the RS-52's would compare since the RS-35's are from an older series.

Low and behold I came a cross a good deal on a pair of RS-52's and picked them up. It took some time to re-route the left speaker wire since it was on an exterior wall. I decided to position the speakers in between the front and back row. Last night, me and a friend of mine spent a few hours trying to re-route my left surround (boy was it a booger). We ran into a few problems but eventually was able to fish the wire on the other side of the fern strip.

Here are some shots of them mounted in their new home.

Klipsch RS-52's

rs-52_1_small.jpg

RS-52's with grills off

rs-52_2_small.jpg

RS-52 rear. They have a keyhole mount and two threaded inserts.
rs-52_3_small.jpg

rs-52_4_small.jpg

Left side surround mounted

rs-52_5_small.jpg

rs-52_6_small.jpg

Right side surround mounted

rs-52_7_small.jpg

RS-52_8_small.jpg

RS-52_9_small.jpg

I really like the looks of the RS-52's over the RS-35's. They stick out a little further but are very nice looking.

I have only had a chance to briefly test the RS-52's but my initial impression is that they are a huge improvement over the RB-35's since they are much closer to ear level. Now that I have the RS-35's and RS-52's, I believe I will move the RS-35's to the back surround and sell the RB-35 bookshelf speakers and mounts.

This isn't definite but I'm considering the option. When I listen to music, it's usually in 2ch so I won't be using the rear speakers for music. If I do mount the RS-35's on the back wall, they will be closer together so that I can mount them a few feet lower, in line with the RS-52's.

In the brief time I had the RS-35's mounted on the side walls and the brief time I've had the RS-52's mounted on the side walls, I don't hear a huge difference between the two speakers. I watched the first battle in Master and Commander and the surround effects are insane! Since my RB-35's are mounted up so high on the back wall, I was missing out on a lot of surround effects. The RS-52's appear to be smoother and more refined than the RS-35's but I believe both of them are great speakers for surrounds.

I'm REALLY not looking forward to re-routing the speaker wire for the back surrounds but it "should" be easier since it is not on an exterior wall. We'll save that project for another weekend.

I like the speaker against the curtain look. I hear you on the re-wiring thing. I was up until almost 1am the other night re-arranging everything to be along the long wall in my basement. Fortunately all the wire I had worked, it was just a matter of figuring out which wire was long enough for which speaker!

For my surrounds I started with Synergy SS .5s, then RS-42s, then KG 3.5s and now Fortes. At least now I'll have to upgrade my fronts before I can upgrade my surrounds! That is, unless I replace the surrounds with Forte IIs... [:)]

• Moderators

Yes, good luck to you Russ. Running wire through the attic isn't much fun but at least with it being cool, it's probably the best time to get up there. August attic in Florida is not even an option around here. People die up there. LOL.

The RS-52's were one of those deals that I just couldn't pass up. Called the guy, picked them up 45 minutes later. They are in great shape. Small scratch on the back side, very minor cosmetic spots but from the visible areas, they look fantastic.

To answer your question in the title of this thread NO it never ends! When you find speakers your happy with (for now) then you start to upgrade those speakers. About the time you get those how you want them the next pair will show up and...

My front two Forte IIs and my Academy are setting torn apart waiting for the Crites titanium tweeters to come in. I've also got the crossovers out of all three and sent off to DeanG for him to do his magic on. The whole time I'm doing this I know I'd like to find some La Scalas and try those out. I just missed out on some cheap Klipschorns because they sold before I could drive to get them... It never ends!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then there is the room. I'd love to have a setup like you've got with a true HT room instead of a living room/HT room. Someday I will make that move, but probably not until I get a different house.

post-33518-13819554078954_thumb.jpg

post-33518-13819569563968_thumb.jpg

I've got to do a better job of hiding the wires running along the wall behind the torn apart speakers.
It a bundle of wires including cable coax (internet) satilitte coax, speaker wire for the rear two, and a USB cable so its pretty thick.

I'll have to goto Lowes and see if they have some of that plastic (name of the stuff I can't think of) to put around them all to hide them better.

The USB is so I can hook to my laptop to my DAC which then connects into my reciver. It makes my mp3s sound a lot better than just hooking a 3.5 headphone to RCA cable in to the laptop and then to the receiver with a long RCA cable. Most computers have crappy DACs in them. Of course there is only so much you can do with MP3s but it helps. Most of my listening is on CDs but its nice to be able to hear a little better quaility on MP3 too.

• Moderators

I like to think that I'm immune to the upgraditis infection. I do my research to find out what I believe will meet my needs, and work towards buying the pieces one at a time. Occassionally, when I find a good deal, I will "settle" but that's usually what causes me to upgrade down the road.

At the present, I don't see myself "upgrading" anything. I still want to get a 200w x 3 amp (possibly Emotiva XPA-3) to power the front soundstage and get some acoustic panels for the room and finally add my step lights to the riser. But these were all in the original plan.

Maybe when I complete my to do list, that will change and I will then be wanting to "upgrade" just out of sheere boredom or curiosity. I guess time will tell.....stay tuned.....

I still want to get a 200w x 3 amp (possibly Emotiva XPA-3) to power the front soundstage and get some acoustic panels for the room and finally add my step lights to the riser. But these were all in the original plan.

I was thinking XPA-3 also but went with the XPA-5 because I was thinking if I ever went to a pre/pro I wouldn't have the receiver to power the rears and since shelf space is at a premium for me and I didn't want to add a second amp down the road either. I figured the XPA-5 saved me money vs two amps later and gave me more flexibility. The price between the two in the big picture isn't that much more so I went with the XPA-5. YMMV

I like to think that I'm immune to the upgraditis infection. I do my research to find out what I believe will meet my needs, and work towards buying the pieces one at a time. Occassionally, when I find a good deal, I will "settle" but that's usually what causes me to upgrade down the road.

At the present, I don't see myself "upgrading" anything. I still want to get a 200w x 3 amp (possibly Emotiva XPA-3) to power the front soundstage and get some acoustic panels for the room and finally add my step lights to the riser. But these were all in the original plan.

Maybe when I complete my to do list, that will change and I will then be wanting to "upgrade" just out of sheere boredom or curiosity. I guess time will tell.....stay tuned.....

That all sounds very logical, until you pick up that amp and then wonder what another upgrade would do, or you find a deal on a set of heritage that's just too good to pass up and you hook them up and go wow, I like that sound too, or.............................................................. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT[:P] ROTFLMAO

• Moderators

You are one sick puppy, Youth! You JUST mounted those RS-35's! Haha!!

Yes I did. I think I had them up for less than a week when I bought the RS-52's. I bought the RS-52's less than I paid for the RS-35's so it was definitely a no brainer. You just have to jump on those deals when they come along cause they don't come along too often.

I'm glad you like M&C!! Was I right about it being your new "demo disc"?

I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch the entire disk yet. I need to go back and look at the thread where you suggested a few scenes from the movie to demo. I only watched the battle scene at the beginning of the movie. When canon balls come flying through the ship, my side surrounds were going nuts. LOL. MUCH more info that I was hearing as opposed to my RB-35's that are mounted way to high up.

• Moderators

youthman - what are you doing

Finding some deals bro. I'm compelled to buy them when the deal is sweet.

the way you are going you are going to run out of wall and floor space..

Nah, I'll have to either sell my RB-35's or RS-35's....just not sure which ones yet. The RS-35's will be much easier to mount since they only require a drywall anchor and screw using keyhole mount. If I keep the RB-35's, I would want to mount them using the brackets I purchased since they are so heavy. Problem with them is that it might be difficult to center them due to available studs. I would mount them to studs and I wouldn't want the speakers to be "off" (if that makes sense). The RB-35's will stick out more from the back wall and since they are not wide dispersion, I don't think they will provide as much benefit as the RB-35's even if I move them closer together so I can bring them lower on the back wall. What do you think?

That all sounds very logical, until you pick up
that amp and then wonder what another upgrade would do, or you find a
deal on a set of heritage that's just too good to pass up and you hook
them up and go wow, I like that sound too,
or.............................................................. GOOD
LUCK WITH THATStick out tongue

Thanks for the optimism Pete and having faith in my ability to resist temptation. [:P]

you are absolutly right.. when a deal like that comes along you have to take it..

as for the RB or RS35 i would just keep them both even if you are not using a pair they will eventually come in handy even if in a childs bedroom later down the road..

Congrats and enjoy...

• Moderators

the way you are going you are going to run out of wall and floor space.. Big Smile

That's ok, I still have space on my ceilings to hang more speakers from if need be.

as for the RB or RS35 i would just keep them both even if you are not using a pair they will eventually come in handy even if in a childs bedroom later down the road..

That might not be a bad idea. My oldest child (son) is 11.