Rolling Along

Tarheel

I received a very nice batch of new and used old stock tubes from Thebes in response to the thread on modding the Jolida 100 CDP. I was and am so excited with the concept of rolling all these wonderful 12AX7s that I have made some very basic mistakes and have not been scientific in the least. I probably have a mild case of ADD as I have not been able to evaluate one change at a time. I started with the Amperex Bugle Boys in the Jolida and was smitten. Next came the RCA 5751s, a variant (less gain) of the 12AX7. This tube was also very nice and I could live happily with those for a long...long time. Then I started getting off track and rolled a pair of Telefunken in the Quicksilver preamp. Then I decided to change out the Raytheon 12AU7 in the pre with a 1956 GE tube from my own supply. Next I changed the teles in the pre to the Bugle Boys and Valvos in the Jolida. Next came Mullards in the Jolida 100 and thankfully I have only the Sylvanias left to roll. Man am I confused[:o]

The Valvos are NOS and will have to be burned in for awhile to give them a fair shake. I think I prefer the Bugle Boys in the Jolida and the Mullards or perhaps the Telefunken in the Quicksilver. There are no bad tubes here just a hyperactive roller....hey Thebes I'm dying to try some Mazda 12AX7s in theCDP if you have any. Just kidding. Man this is fun...next go round I'm going to have to use some discipline[;)]

Thanks again Marty.

PS....coming up next...I unhook the QS Horn Monos and plug in the HK 500 and change out the entire front end with OS tubes....whew boy..thats going to be fun. That amp is a wonder.

• Like 2

Ain't that the truth Oldtimer.....someone told me to chill, smoke a blunt[:P]

BTW....Natalie Merchant's Tigerlilly is a great test CD.....tracks 5&6 have some nice...tight bass.

Man......This is fun....and its only Saturday afternoon.

Winchester.....having three fingers of Russell's Reserve...a 10 year old small batch....bien!

• Like 1

Can't go there anymore- Got one of those pesky HR services that checks for that[N]

One of the other rollers who participated in that expierment bought himself some Bugle Boys- They made a dramatic difference- Going to listen to them just as soon as some other stuff gets finished up so I can check that as well.

Can't go there anymore- Got one of those pesky HR services that checks for thatNo

One of the other rollers who participated in that expierment bought himself some Bugle Boys- They made a dramatic difference- Going to listen to them just as soon as some other stuff gets finished up so I can check that as well.

Your a good man Thebes, sharing the tubes. but what about those sorority twins ;), they ever graduate, or you still try'in to keep them in line,... you still have to spank them? .... hehhehehehe How come you never offer to share them? ;)

I favor Bugle Boys myself, the 17mm black plts w/h dbl sqr [][] getters are my favorites. Some say their Mullards, but I don't like Mullards. I've tried quite a few mullards, trying to like them, but I never could. Not in my MC60's or VRD's, I just don't like Mullard X7's. But I always love a Bugle Boy 12AX7. They are my 2nd. favorite of the X7 variants, only telefunken smooth plates out do them, IMHO, obviously.

Feel kind of like "The Bachelor" having to pick between the last two smoking hot bachelorettes but this morning I woke with clarity and my final decision. Bugle Boys for the Jolida CDP and Telefunken for the Quicksilver Audio Full Function preamp. The BBs were a no brainer and I love the Teles when spinning vinyl. The difference with rolling all these fine AX7s is subtle and I don't know if I could choose correctly in a blind test. The surprise tube would have to be the RCA 5751s which are a very easy, non fatiguing tube as Brent Jesse describes it in his review. I like the valvos for the punch they seem to provide and unlike some of you the Mullards finished next to last to my ears! I will point out again...this was extremely non scientific and you should let your ears and audio system decide. I have felt my QS gear is a bit analytical and was looking to add some warmth and better imaging and thats how I arrived with my decision. The HK500 which I think is very warm and musical may benefit from a completely different approach....I'll find that out over the next few days.

So there....thats done. Reminds me of two two pschological principles from my college days "two point threshold" and "just noticeable difference". They must have been talking audio.

Okay winchester...thats my take for what its worth.

• Like 1

I find it takes a bit for me to settle in on a preferred tube setup when rolling. I prefer to roll one tube at a time and leave that for a half dozen sessions or so - it seems to take a number of hours to FULLY understand the ramifications of a roll. I like to listen to a breadth of material, in order to fully realize the effects over a variety of recordings. Not every aspect of a tube roll will be realized in a few hour session. Unless it's a complete sonic failure, I'll leave them a while.

That said, I'm glad you have a combo you like - and a Tele/Amperex combo has to be in the neighborhood in any case.

Gilbert: That sounds like it IS a Mullard. If it is the longplate with square getter, that's a Mullard (and it likely will have a "B" in the manufacturer's position of the Philips code on the glass). The Amperex label isn't the "tell all" as to which tube you have (as Amperex did label some of the early Mullard tubes with Bugle Boy labels) - the codes on the glass ARE the "tell all".

And for what it's worth, I agree with you regarding Mullard 12AX7/AU7 tubes - only the earliest (with square getter) are desireable for hi-fi audio use. The later short plate circle getter Mullards are a bit too "creamy" for my taste.....the guitar players really like them, however, and that's where the value exists in the later Mullards.

Once you get into the shortplate Philips tubes (about 1959), the Heerlen, Holland varieties (which most associate with "Amperex") are much better than the Blackburn tubes of similar vintage (IMO).

I'm rather new to tube rolling, but it isn't going to stop me from putting in my 2 cents! I recently rolled a trio of new Groove Tubes gold series 5751 tubes in my preamp, and they sound very nice - more on the mellow side. I have also had good luck with the Tung-sol reissue 12AX7 in the preamp. I tried the Mullard reissue 12AX7, but it sounded thin in comparison to the other "new" tubes. I said all that to say that I think some of the new reissue tubes are getting better, and it's a cheap alternative to tube rolling as compared to buying a bunch of vintage tubes.

I have a question for you experienced tube rollers- I recently purchased an Amperex BB 12AT7 for my power amp. This tube is made in France. Does anyone have any experience with these tubes? Thanks, Kevin

• 6 years later...

Bugle boys in the Jolida will be my next buy. I am hearing good things about Tele's in the peach. I may buy a set. My cash is in TT hell as we speak. trying to decide if to Cream my Tercel for a MC cartridge.

Bumping this old thread for my bud billybob!

• Like 1