The Cornwall Vault's on the road again

wpines

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well folks, after a long hiatus on the East Coast, the Vault is in motion again. It's in the southwest now............. Vegas baby

I should have taken some photos but I was in a hurry during the work day. The vault is quite a sturdy contraption. Kind of interesting to have it in front of you. Very well padded too. The corns need to be sanded and re-urethaned so the speakers just slipped right in. If they were pristine, you may want to wrap in plastic but it really is not necessary, nothign sharp in there.

For anyone who needs to know, the driver is 5/16" (and the included one is inside the vault, not really much use). The vault and Skid weighs 161 lbs and with Cornwalls weighs 336 lbs. The dimnesions are 42" x 37" x 34"

Wpines, I wish I could have convinced you to put those Revels in it. [H]

Chris, thanks for the update and sorry we had the wrong nut-driver size. I guess I got hosed at the BDL forward air...they claimed the empty weight was 211 lbs...even though 2 other people have claimed 162 including the vegas FA. It only cost $25 more to ship it full....hmmmm. Anyways, maybe before it goes out again, we can hit up an intinerary and I can attach it with pics or something if former users want. Chris...my biggest thanks goes out to you...I am sure Brad is happy to be rid of the vault now, but mucho thanks for all of your help in getting the (tied for) rarest set of cornwalls in existance across the country in a very good and timley manner. You are a great person and a asset to the forum (even though I don't think you even have any Klipsch at this point, but still hang around). There will one day be a crazy awesome update with high-res pics so gla51 can have a sample of Persian Nutwood for his next incarnation of the heritage database. Thanks everyone!

I guess I got hosed at the BDL forward air...they claimed the empty weight was 211 lbs...even though 2 other people have claimed 162 including the vegas FA. It only cost $25 more to ship it full....hmmmm.

Freight companies charge based on volume for bulky but (relatively) light cargo. I've seen volume converted to weight ("volume weight" or "volumetric weight") in bulky shipments I've done in the past... Basically, if they make more charging for volume they will charge for volume, converted to lbs or kgs for the convenience of their systems and those that they have to plug into (There's a surprising amount of electronic data interchange in shipping... Senders and receivers, brokers and handlers, customs and tarrif systems...)

These guys lay it out pretty well: http://www.export911.com/e911/ship/w_or_m.htm

EVERYTHING costs more in Connecticut;

With a staggering tax burden already in place - one that makes Connecticut one of the top three most taxed states in the country, the population of Connecticut has been shrinking, with about 113,000 people leaving the state in the last decade.

According to a stunning statistic from a Wall Street Journal article, Connecticut has not added one job to its employment rolls since 1991 - while the rest of the country has added 22 million new jobs to its work force.

Sorry but EVERYTHING costs more in Connecticut;

With a staggering tax burden already in place - one that makes Connecticut one of the top three most taxed states in the country, the population of Connecticut has been shrinking, with about 113,000 people leaving the state in the last decade.

According to a stunning statistic from a Wall Street Journal article, Connecticut has not added one job to its employment rolls since 1991 - while the rest of the country has added 22 million new jobs to its work force.

Freight companies charge based on volume for bulky but (relatively) light cargo. I've seen volume converted to weight ("volume weight" or "volumetric weight") in bulky shipments I've done in the past... Basically, if they make more charging for volume they will charge for volume, converted to lbs or kgs for the convenience of their systems and those that they have to plug into (There's a surprising amount of electronic data interchange in shipping... Senders and receivers, brokers and handlers, customs and tarrif systems...)

These guys lay it out pretty well: http://www.export911.com/e911/ship/w_or_m.htm

My issue was not really the charges...it was that I was quoted a price for empty and full the week of the shipment...and the empty crate suddenly cost $75 more to ship...but the full crate then cost $25 less than the quote. It was still very reasonable though. I am off to the IA border to pick them up in a few minutes. Mmmmm...Cornwalls.

Honey, I'm home! I think they survived the trip. I did find some shards of edgebanding on them. There was a place that it was torn to begin with, I think it just got aggrivated a bit. Couple indentations in the vault...when I can get the speakers pulled out hopefully they will be ok...they did not look damaging though. I think I am going to have to pull a little veneer from the back of the riser bases or the bottom to fix the edgebanding, but we can deal with that later.

post-36287-13819555019508_thumb.jpg

post-36287-1381957031798_thumb.jpg

Honey, I'm home! I think they survived the trip. I did find some shards of edgebanding on them. There was a place that it was torn to begin with, I think it just got aggrivated a bit. Couple indentations in the vault...when I can get the speakers pulled out hopefully they will be ok...they did not look damaging though. I think I am going to have to pull a little veneer from the back of the riser bases or the bottom to fix the edgebanding, but we can deal with that later.

That looks like them. The edgebanding was placed to the outside so that the outter paddign woudl protect. However, there was some damage when I picked them up. I was thinking the same thing, take some veneer from the back of the riser and use to patch.

They were also placed back to back with carpet between them so they shoudl ahve made it. The Vault was damaged when it arrived in Las vegas.

Anyway, enjoy, they look good.

• 2 months later...