I hate my Time Warner DVR receiver

winchester21

When I had Time Warner I had a Moxi DVR/cablebox, these are the best, the std Time Warner box is a POS. Only some Time Warner areas carry the Moxi normally because Time Warner took over another cable company in that area and the previous company had the Moxi. In my case Time Warner took over Adelphia cable and aquired the Adelphia Moxi's. So if you are lucky you may be able to get a Moxi from Time Warner.

Also you can now buy the new Moxi DVR and stop renting the Time Warner box. The new Moxi uses a cablecard so you may need to rent the cablecard from Time Warner (some companies charge some don't). Anyway the Moxi is a great DVR/cablebox. http://moxi.com

I don't know about the Time Warner product, but I've been through about 4 DVR's that Dish Network supplies. When I realized that the heat from the amplifier (relatively low, as I use a Sunfire, with tracking downconverter) was still enough heat to make the DVR fail. I placed it on a different shelf, on top of my DVD player and have had NO issues now for several years.

Hope this helps.

redtitan29 has corrected me, Time Warner is a great company that only provides the best product to its clients for a reasonable price at a loss, The hardware it provides is (gun to my head and cocked) is TOP NOTCH!!. There is no reason as to why winchester21 should say something so crazy about such a great company as Time Warner. Time Warner is the best and their purchase of AOL made complete sense and did not damage the company. All Hail Time Warner!!!

jacksonbart, I believe if you read over your original post you stated nothing directly against TW thus I have no reason to defend them. I am on the other hand disagreeing that after 4 months the box rental fees are strictly profit. You are entitled to your own opinion just remember if they differ from a known fact you tend to loose credibility. In this case I know your comment was incorrect as I work in the industry and deal with equipment cost on a daily basis. I also fully understand how cable company's make there profit. Most people are totally amazed when they are presented with facts of the industry. Profit per customer isn't nearly as great as you may think. But when you add the profit made from all paying customers together it starts to sound much better.

Here are a few things to think about. 1. The next time you head off to work try counting how many poles you pass during your drive. For each pole cable is attached a yearly pole permit must be paid. In my system that is close to $10 per pole. 2. It currently cost close to $15,000 to build one mile of cable plant. Plant extensions are being built every day. Most are only a few pole spans but when there all added together the mileage adds up. 3. Active devices on the hard line require commercial power in order to operate. Do you groan when you pay your power bill? Now imagine paying the bill to power an average 2,000 mile cable plant. 4. We all like to have the latest and greatest as far as services go right? Cable has spent untold amounts of money upgrading there systems with fiber and new actives to increase bandwidth (most are now running 750MHz-1G). 5. When you call up your local cable company, what is the cost to get a truck into your driveway? That cost is currently $76 and is before anythings taken off the truck to install or service your residence. 6. Programming cost. ESPN for example charges $3 per subscriber and thats for 1 channel! 7. Customer Premise Equipment (CPE). DVR's, HD's, Digital boxes, Cable Cards, Modems, Gateways, HN cards,NIC cards(I'm sure I'm missing many more) are very expensive. To make a very long story short, there is a lot more to running a cable company then a lot of folks realize. I cant write in one paragraph everything that drives your bill up but as I stated before the profit per customer in no where near as high as a lot of folks believe.

Here are a few things to think about. 1. The next time you head off to work try counting how many poles you pass during your drive. For each pole cable is attached a yearly pole permit must be paid. In my system that is close to $10 per pole. 2. It currently cost close to $15,000 to build one mile of cable plant. Plant extensions are being built every day. Most are only a few pole spans but when there all added together the mileage adds up. 3. Active devices on the hard line require commercial power in order to operate. Do you groan when you pay your power bill? Now imagine paying the bill to power an average 2,000 mile cable plant. 4. We all like to have the latest and greatest as far as services go right? Cable has spent untold amounts of money upgrading there systems with fiber and new actives to increase bandwidth (most are now running 750MHz-1G). 5. When you call up your local cable company, what is the cost to get a truck into your driveway? That cost is currently $76 and is before anythings taken off the truck to install or service your residence. 6. Programming cost. ESPN for example charges $3 per subscriber and thats for 1 channel! 7. Customer Premise Equipment (CPE). DVR's, HD's, Digital boxes, Cable Cards, Modems, Gateways, HN cards,NIC cards(I'm sure I'm missing many more) are very expensive. To make a very long story short, there is a lot more to running a cable company then a lot of folks realize. I cant write in one paragraph everything that drives your bill up but as I stated before the profit per customer in no where near as high as a lot of folks believe.

This is exactly why cable is outdated, overpriced, (in my area) obsolete technology, and Horrible customer service. Long live satallite. [Y]

not trying to add fuel to the fire, but i didn't like my comcast cable, it went to roadrunner. i didn't like the picture, the sound didn't match, and it simply was too expensive for what i got.

on the other hand, i have ATT Uverse. i couldn't be more happier. my picture (with added equipment like furman, shieled power cable, and shielded cat 6) looks like a blu-rays. i like how your current program is playing in the back ground and when you surf the channels you see that channel in the bottom corner. there is a ton of features i love about it. the best one to me, i think it gets over looked, is i have fiber optic to my house, literally goes to my garage, and then it goes to cat 5. for me it only has 1 connection. there is 1 run from the fiber optic port to a network hub. then 1 cable to the fwd wall. i have no splices or anything. i also have a single line running from the hub to my daughters play room.

what i didn't like about verizon fios is, you get fiber optics to your house, then it switches to RG6. i don't like the final product.

anyways that's my opinion.

You are entitled to your own opinion just remember if they differ from a known fact you tend to loose credibility

You're fairly new here so welcome!

What you might not realize is in order to loose credibility, you must first have it. Your first mistake was presupposing that JB had some to start with! [6]

[:o] [:D]

To Chris or comment in general: I'm on DTV and have a vague memory of reading something on a website where guys were buying some kind of external USB (I think?) hard drive, encasing it into some kind of hard box (store bought?? home made wood??) and were somehow re-directing their DVR to record to the external hard drive rather than its own internal.

Some of the benefits I read about.... much higher capacity, longer record times... independent storage (if your DVR runs out of space you have to delete, here you could in theory, swap out another hard drive)

downfalls I read about: Only certain hard drives seemed to work reliably (for some unknown reason to me), more 'stuff' laying around and perhaps the cost.

I don't know what these are called...how to do them....or if they'd work in your applicationi. Now that I've had a DVR for a couple years, I personally wish I'd looked into this back then because I've had to delete quite a number of movies that I would have liked to have kept on file.

This is an interesting thread to me. I was a system engineer in telecom during the boom years and our channels were +/- a fraction of a dB. When I saw my first cable plant I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Straight off the dish at the down link sight were all the individual channel demodulators and local insert capabilities. The on site techs were clueless and the channels were all over the map. You could easily see a 10 dB swing in audio levels switching from one channel to another. Absolutely no excuse for it just sloppy, lazy techs who could care less. Didn't even know how to measure video levels. I haven't looked at cable the same way since then. Just an observation.

Have a great day.

Coytee, was the restraining order Amy placed against you for sniffing and making constant reference to her ear lobes for 200ft or for 250ft?

I forget

250. She was content with 200 but the judge thought there should be an extra 50' thrown in for early warning purposes.

post-15072-13819555503702_thumb.gif

post-15072-13819570706824_thumb.gif

Guest davidness

Just to add my barely related comment:

I LOVE my DirecTivo DSR6000 with TIVO!

Yes, it's generation I, yes it's only standard definition.But the integration and UI is so great, I can't bring myself to change. I even was able to expand it's storage myself by installing a secondary hard drive in the unit, and I installed a Ethernet Port so I can 'phone home' over the internet.

I have been one of the many, many consumers that have been cruelly toyed with over the past couple of years byDirecTV and TIVO's repeated announcements that a true TIVO branded Hi-Def DVR is coming back to DirecTV, and I'm still waiting after these many years. There was yet another announcement recently, but still no DirecTIVO Hi-Def DVR!

OH, THE HUMANITY! Dear God, hear my pleas!

Maybe 2010 will finally be the year!?

(Sorry for the rant).